Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a friend I swim with who has 90/60. Does that indicate she's really healthy? Is that good?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I have a friend I swim with who has 90/60. Does that indicate she's really healthy? Is that good?
Not necessarily but I think it's a whole lot better than high blood pressure

Hypotension

Quote:
Low blood pressure, also called hypotension, would seem to be something to strive for. However, for many people, low blood pressure can cause symptoms of dizziness and fainting or mean that they have serious heart, endocrine or neurological disorders. Severely low blood pressure can deprive the brain and other vital organs of oxygen and nutrients, leading to a life-threatening condition called shock.

.... a blood pressure reading of 90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or less systolic blood pressure (the top number in a blood pressure reading) or 60 mm Hg or less diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) is generally considered low blood pressure.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Article said that pressure rises about 5 mil for each 25 deg. drop in temp. That does not seem like a lot to me. It also said rise was higher for folks over 80. It quoted a French study of 8,801 people published in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Not much info there, but it was a short blurb in a sidebar.
That would frequently be 15 mm mercury between July and January, easily enough to bet the difference between normal and hypertension. I didn't know about this effect.

Ha
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #24

Orchid,
I had 90 over 50 on a flight physical. They called me back because my blood pressure was too low. I told them I thought low was good. They said

It's zero when your are dead!

Seems below 100 is a concern for pilots. With very low blood pressure you tend to black out easier under g forces.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Orchid,
I had 90 over 50 on a flight physical. They called me back because my blood pressure was too low. I told them I thought low was good. They said

It's zero when your are dead!

Seems below 100 is a concern for pilots. With very low blood pressure you tend to black out easier under g forces.
There is a device that was developed by an Air Force contractor to counteract the tendency to black out when pilots were learning to fly the F-16. It was found that daily use of this thing actually lowered blood pressure in hypertensives. It is a metered grip device

I was having real trouble getting my BP into normal range, but using this I have gone from average (10 day ma) readings of 134/80 to 109/73. Sometimes my systolic is below 100.

Ha
Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Good information. I was thinking about trying that thing, but couldn't figure out if there was any real value to it. I tend to credit direct recommendations from people I know (sort of, indirectly) more than web reviews. I'll put it on my Christmas list.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Good information. I was thinking about trying that thing, but couldn't figure out if there was any real value to it. I tend to credit direct recommendations from people I know (sort of, indirectly) more than web reviews. I'll put it on my Christmas list.
They do give a 6 or 8 week money back return. I was skeptical, but my effects have been strong. Enough to posibly make a health difference.

Ha
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #28

OK, haha, this is one time I have to say: This post is no good without photos.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, haha, this is one time I have to say: This post is no good without photos.

I agree... what are you talking about
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #30

I looked up what I think is the device. A Zona Plus. Amazon has them, but I don't think I will take the $400 leap. I wonder why a good set of stress balls would not do the same thing. Less than $10. $400 raised my bp just thinking about it!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #31

Wouldn't exercising (jogging, lifting, stretching, etc.) give you the same effect? Cheaper, anyway.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I looked up what I think is the device. A Zona Plus. Amazon has them, but I don't think I will take the $400 leap. I wonder why a good set of stress balls would not do the same thing. Less than $10. $400 raised my bp just thinking about it!
It's something about the amount of grip used in the process that makes it work. Nobody is certain what the mechanism is, they just discovered it while doing the aforementioned test on pilots and g-force. I suspect if you could determine the proper amount of pressure to exert and could maintain it manually with the stress balls you'd get the same effect.

Quote:
Wouldn't exercising (jogging, lifting, stretching, etc.) give you the same effect? Cheaper, anyway.
Not necessarily. Those things may help your blood pressure, for sure. And I'm doing them. But this is a completely different mechanism. You don't get in better shape from it, it just lowers your blood pressure.

I'm not sold on this thing, and think it's pretty expensive. But, if it can lower my BP back into a normal level without medication, I think it's worth a try. I hate meds (except the ones Dawg uses).

Haha, how long have you been using it? Has the effect lasted? I'd appreciate any more impressions you have of it.

Oh yeah, here's the link. Lower Blood Pressure Naturally with the Zona Plus. There's a section on How It Works. But if you look at it, the first words are "Research indicates that there are most likely three main physiological changes that occur with consistant use of the Zona Plus". (emphasis mine). I've been looking for a cheaper (used) version of it, but there don't seem to be many. This could indicate that everyone who bought it loves it, or I guess it could indicate that nobody's buying it.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to try this with the old fashioned hand spring grips. Plan is to try out several 'strengths' to find a pair that I can barely keep closed for two minutes, pay the $5.99 for the pair, and try the "four reps of two minute squeeze and one minute relaxed" for several weeks to see what happens.

The new-fangled electronic grip is sort of pricy...
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stressed balls doesn't sound like a good thing...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Stressed balls doesn't sound like a good thing...
I think that would raise blood pressure, not lower it...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
(106/60, heart rate 46) then later when I told the Doc about my concerns he took it again and it was 110/60, heart rate 39, plus he checked on the treadmill stress test report from the previous year and told me not to worry.
Umm, the pressures aren't bad but the heart rate is very low - do you run a lot That heart rate would start the alarms on most monitors.....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Umm, the pressures aren't bad but the heart rate is very low - do you run a lot That heart rate would start the alarms on most monitors.....
For most of my life I have done a lot of aerobic activity, playing soccer all the way through my 30's then a soccer ref for a few years. I didn't really notice my heart rate until I went into hospital age 30 for a foot operation and the admitting nurse asked me if I was an athlete as my heart rate was so low. These days I "run" on a treadmill or eliptical trainer 4 times a week, for 30 minutes, aiming for at least 3 miles in each session. I also go cycling at weekends weather permitting, once without DW so I can really pedal hard and get the heart rate elevated.

While I think the running has a lot to do with it I believe I am also pre-disposed to a slow heart rate. I intend to take up soccer refereeing again next year when I retire, provided my knees and back can take the strain (a treadmill has a lot of "give" that a hard field doesn't have and of course the eliptical trainer and bike have no impact at all).

I've also hard 3 treadmill stress tests through physicals at work (first at age 40) and the cardiologist sees no problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retirement has lowered my BP. I've always worked out a lot (or played in ways that were major workouts), watched my salt intake and my weight has ranged from skinny (when I was young) to slender/low normal now. Also lived in metropolitan areas of at least 1.8 million which may explain why my pre retirement BP was 120/70 - 130/85.

It's now consistently 100/70 - 105/70. I work out much less, only do walking and not much of that. I don't know if it was the stress of work and city life, which at the time didn't strike me as very stressful, or my current life style of no work in a tropical town of 125k that has caused the drop.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'm going to try this with the old fashioned hand spring grips. Plan is to try out several 'strengths' to find a pair that I can barely keep closed for two minutes, pay the $5.99 for the pair, and try the "four reps of two minute squeeze and one minute relaxed" for several weeks to see what happens.
I found an adjustable grip that seems about right. I started in using it today, so we'll see what happens to my BP at the end of January through February. I'll keep logging and charting my resting BP daily and will post an update here if I see any significant changes.

My hands and forearms definitely feel 'wobbly' immediately after using the grip this way, which is what I expect from an isometric exercise.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I didn't get the good looking nurse this time and my BP was 117/77.

I need to consider the device Ha Ha mentioned cause I run 130's/80's WITH meds - according to my Wal Mart wrist meter.

heh heh heh - and the dang chloresterol is running high also. .