Blood pressure changes?*

Good information. I was thinking about trying that thing, but couldn't figure out if there was any real value to it. I tend to credit direct recommendations from people I know (sort of, indirectly) more than web reviews. I'll put it on my Christmas list.

Good information. I was thinking about trying that thing, but couldn't figure out if there was any real value to it. I tend to credit direct recommendations from people I know (sort of, indirectly) more than web reviews. I'll put it on my Christmas list.

They do give a 6 or 8 week money back return. I was skeptical, but my effects have been strong. Enough to posibly make a health difference.

Ha

OK, haha, this is one time I have to say: This post is no good without photos.

I looked up what I think is the device. A Zona Plus. Amazon has them, but I don't think I will take the $400 leap. I wonder why a good set of stress balls would not do the same thing. Less than $10. $400 raised my bp just thinking about it! :)

Wouldn't exercising (jogging, lifting, stretching, etc.) give you the same effect? Cheaper, anyway.

I looked up what I think is the device. A Zona Plus. Amazon has them, but I don't think I will take the $400 leap. I wonder why a good set of stress balls would not do the same thing. Less than $10. $400 raised my bp just thinking about it! :)

It's something about the amount of grip used in the process that makes it work. Nobody is certain what the mechanism is, they just discovered it while doing the aforementioned test on pilots and g-force. I suspect if you could determine the proper amount of pressure to exert and could maintain it manually with the stress balls you'd get the same effect.

Wouldn't exercising (jogging, lifting, stretching, etc.) give you the same effect? Cheaper, anyway.

Not necessarily. Those things may help your blood pressure, for sure. And I'm doing them. But this is a completely different mechanism. You don't get in better shape from it, it just lowers your blood pressure.

I'm not sold on this thing, and think it's pretty expensive. But, if it can lower my BP back into a normal level without medication, I think it's worth a try. I hate meds (except the ones Dawg uses).

Haha, how long have you been using it? Has the effect lasted? I'd appreciate any more impressions you have of it.

Oh yeah, here's the link. Lower Blood Pressure Naturally with the Zona Plus. There's a section on How It Works. But if you look at it, the first words are "Research indicates that there are most likely three main physiological changes that occur with consistant use of the Zona Plus". (emphasis mine). I've been looking for a cheaper (used) version of it, but there don't seem to be many. This could indicate that everyone who bought it loves it, or I guess it could indicate that nobody's buying it. :D

I'm going to try this with the old fashioned hand spring grips. Plan is to try out several 'strengths' to find a pair that I can barely keep closed for two minutes, pay the $5.99 for the pair, and try the "four reps of two minute squeeze and one minute relaxed" for several weeks to see what happens.

The new-fangled electronic grip is sort of pricy...

Stressed balls doesn't sound like a good thing...

(106/60, heart rate 46) then later when I told the Doc about my concerns he took it again and it was 110/60, heart rate 39, plus he checked on the treadmill stress test report from the previous year and told me not to worry.

Umm, the pressures aren't bad but the heart rate is very low - do you run a lot:confused: That heart rate would start the alarms on most monitors.....

Umm, the pressures aren't bad but the heart rate is very low - do you run a lot:confused: That heart rate would start the alarms on most monitors.....

For most of my life I have done a lot of aerobic activity, playing soccer all the way through my 30's then a soccer ref for a few years. I didn't really notice my heart rate until I went into hospital age 30 for a foot operation and the admitting nurse asked me if I was an athlete as my heart rate was so low. These days I "run" on a treadmill or eliptical trainer 4 times a week, for 30 minutes, aiming for at least 3 miles in each session. I also go cycling at weekends weather permitting, once without DW so I can really pedal hard and get the heart rate elevated.

While I think the running has a lot to do with it I believe I am also pre-disposed to a slow heart rate. I intend to take up soccer refereeing again next year when I retire, provided my knees and back can take the strain (a treadmill has a lot of "give" that a hard field doesn't have and of course the eliptical trainer and bike have no impact at all).

I've also hard 3 treadmill stress tests through physicals at work (first at age 40) and the cardiologist sees no problems.

Retirement has lowered my BP. I've always worked out a lot (or played in ways that were major workouts), watched my salt intake and my weight has ranged from skinny (when I was young) to slender/low normal now. Also lived in metropolitan areas of at least 1.8 million which may explain why my pre retirement BP was 120/70 - 130/85.

It's now consistently 100/70 - 105/70. I work out much less, only do walking and not much of that. I don't know if it was the stress of work and city life, which at the time didn't strike me as very stressful, or my current life style of no work in a tropical town of 125k that has caused the drop.

I'm going to try this with the old fashioned hand spring grips. Plan is to try out several 'strengths' to find a pair that I can barely keep closed for two minutes, pay the $5.99 for the pair, and try the "four reps of two minute squeeze and one minute relaxed" for several weeks to see what happens.

I found an adjustable grip that seems about right. I started in using it today, so we'll see what happens to my BP at the end of January through February. I'll keep logging and charting my resting BP daily and will post an update here if I see any significant changes.

My hands and forearms definitely feel 'wobbly' immediately after using the grip this way, which is what I expect from an isometric exercise.

I didn't get the good looking nurse this time and my BP was 117/77.

I need to consider the device Ha Ha mentioned cause I run 130's/80's WITH meds - according to my Wal Mart wrist meter.

heh heh heh - and the dang chloresterol is running high also. :blush:.

I didn't get the good looking nurse this time and my BP was 117/77.

I need to consider the device Ha Ha mentioned cause I run 130's/80's WITH meds - according to my Wal Mart wrist meter.

heh heh heh - and the dang chloresterol is running high also. :blush:.

UncleMick, my doctor just put me on BP meds for the first time in September, and at my checkup today it was just 118/80. He's not that good looking, I guess! :2funny: Anyway, I didn't think the (cheap, generic) meds were strong enough to do anything because I wasn't having any side effects at all, but I am happy to say that I was wrong. :D

I agree it is expensive, but it has worked well for me. If various attempts to simulate this device work, you have saved money. For me it wasn't worth it. I was already excercising, I am normal weight, and I was taking lisinopril.

I realize many of you would decide differently.

I started using it in mid-August, was getting strong results by beginning of October, and these results as I posted above have continued. $400 to really lower my stroke risk is a bargaint to me. A stroke is right ahead of having my johnson fall off in the top 5 bummers.

It isn't much fun to do. I try to get it out of the way before I go outside in the morning.

Ha

I started using it in mid-August, was getting strong results by beginning of October, and these results as I posted above have continued. $400 to really lower my stroke risk is a bargaint to me. A stroke is right ahead of having my johnson fall off in the top 5 bummers.

It isn't much fun to do. I try to get it out of the way before I go outside in the morning.

Ha

You are so right - - $400 to really lower your stroke risk is a huge bargain. Strokes are beyond awful, as anyone who knows a stroke victim knows. I do, my brother. :'(

Guess I don't have to worry about having that fall off (N/A, dontcha know), but stroke is right up there in the list of top 5 worst bummers.

Anyway, I didn't think the (cheap, generic) meds were strong enough to do anything because I wasn't having any side effects at all
You are saying that the drug probably isn't helping because you don't have any side effects? You feel that side-effects are a necessary evil for drugs that work well?

Drugs are designed to work and not cause side-effects and maybe 90%+ do just that (other than the obvious exceptions like chemo).

BTW: the vast majority of generics are indistinguishable from the fancy brand names, and much, much cheaper. I wouldn't worry about that a bit (though there are a handful of exceptions.

Rich, no, I think you completely misunderstood that comment of mine, which was just a facetious aside to UncleMick. Over the years, I have skimmed through a few casual, non-technical articles that related non-compliance with high BP medication regimens in particular to the frequency of side effects with certain high BP meds. Interesting - - I gather from your post that side effects and resulting problems with non-compliance are no more of an issue with common high BP meds than they are any other meds. The things we learn on this board. :)

And no, my only worry about generics is that I will completely alienate my doctor one day, due to all my nagging him over the years to change my prescriptions to generics! :2funny:

Last edited:
I read about some of the side effects, or supposed side effects, of the bp meds my Doc put me on, and I was a bit concerned at first. But now, after being on them for almost 2 years, with no adverse side effects, I've come to the conclusion that, indeed, some folks may be adversely affected in some way, shape, or form...but I'm not! So I'm one very happy camper with very acceptable bp readings.....last week it was 120/70....just a few points above my 'norm', but probably 'cause I did a bit of snow removal just before going to my appointment. (my 'norm' is about 114/67 +/-) :)

I read about some of the side effects, or supposed side effects, of the bp meds my Doc put me on, and I was a bit concerned at first. But now, after being on them for almost 2 years, with no adverse side effects, I've come to the conclusion that, indeed, some folks may be adversely affected in some way, shape, or form...but I'm not! So I'm one very happy camper with very acceptable bp readings.....last week it was 120/70....just a few points above my 'norm', but probably 'cause I did a bit of snow removal just before going to my appointment. (my 'norm' is about 114/67 +/-) :)

My BP meds don't adversely affect me either, apparently. Hey, those are good BP readings, Goonie! Especially after shoveling snow. I usually try to sit still and think very calm thoughts before having my BP taken. :)

I told my doctor that stress reduction due to having retired was probably helping, too. I'm not sure if he believed that, but I do.

Last edited:

I'd definitely agree with that! I don't yet have hypertension, but from my family medical history I almost certainly will develop it. That gives me a certain interest in this, and is why I'm trying my little science experiment with isometrics and the hand grip.

I'm pretty sure that in the next 2-3 years I'll be on one of the blood pressure medications, in spite of exercise, low sodium diet, and whatnot. That's why I'm already doing daily BP monitoring. As you said, lowering stroke risk is worth the effort.

Just got my Zona Plus today. My BP is really really high these days, although maybe being sick (nasty cold/chest thing) has something to do with it. I told my doctor it had gone up since I went on the new med, but she wants me to keep taking it. I'm going to, but I'm also going to do the Zona Plus thing. I'm hoping it will pan out and I'll be able to cut back/out the medication. The process is pretty easy for me, and only 12 minutes/day. I'll let y'all know how it's working out for me in 5-8 weeks, which is how long they say it should take to see any improvements.

I hope Zona works out really well for you Harley. I have used it very regularly for six months, and it has made a very large difference for me. I was on lisinopril, which I still take and likely will continue as it seems to have to discernable side effects and I really don't want to go back to being scared about just how high my BP might be when I checked it.

Lately my BP is often under 110 systolic, and right around 70 diastolic.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom