Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just to step back a minute to the original post, I work in Calgary at about 3400 ftASL but I live in Bellingham close to sea level. My blood pressure is consistently higher in Calgary than in Bellingham, mostly the diastolic, year-round.

It could be
a) the altitude difference,
b) the low humidity vs the higher humidity,
c) the stress associated with working vs living at home,
d) what I eat in the two places.

Dunno.

I might point out that I have learned to not accept stress in my life. Years ago I had a staff job with high stress. I learned anger management and that helped me enormously. Then I got laid off and my blood pressure dropped way down. Now a contractor, I do not let stuff bother me. If everything goes to hell, I know I can retire in Mexico.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

That's really odd, oldtrig. It sounds like your BP has been high everywhere except when measured at your present doctor's office.

Who measures BP at your doctor's office? Maybe you need to ask your doctor to measure it himself instead of leaving it to his staff.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know this is a long post and I apologize but would like to have an opinion on what others think I should do.

You should stop measuring your blood pressure. Ha ha just kidding.

What did the doctor say was going on? I've also seen a range of readings in the past.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

TromboneAl, that was I have done. I quit checking it. I feel good and will not worry about it but just wondering if anyone else might have had this problem and what they did about it. I turn 63 this year and I am still here
W2R. I agree it is odd. The doctor has checked it himself and it was good. Really strange. Maybe I need to be on meds for it. Oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went through a recent physical exam for work and found out that the size of the cuff they wrap around your arm can also make a difference. I've never had an issue with HBP but when the nurse took the first reading it was much higher than normal and I told her so. She explained that the cuff size can make a difference and changed out the cuff with a narrower one, took my blood pressure again and it was normal. First time I ran into this, didn't even realize they had different sizes for patients.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Went through a recent physical exam for work and found out that the size of the cuff they wrap around your arm can also make a difference. I've never had an issue with HBP but when the nurse took the first reading it was much higher than normal and I told her so. She explained that the cuff size can make a difference and changed out the cuff with a narrower one, took my blood pressure again and it was normal. First time I ran into this, didn't even realize they had different sizes for patients.
Generally the problem is using too small a cuff, with switching to a larger cuff resulting in a lower reading. The cuffs have markings to determine if they are the right size.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote