Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschelrh View Post
We drink green and/or black tea daily, have 2 cups of espresso a day, and drink 1 glass of red wine (Merlot or Cabernet) daily.
Travesty!!
You should be drinking Egri Bikaver and Tokaji.
(Although some EBs contains Merlot and/or Cabernet grapes).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Trombone Al,

You seem to be very thorough, but let me just mention some considerations for BP measurements at risk of telling you what you know already, most of which came from "High Blood Pressure for Dummies" by Alan Rubin MD:

1. you need to be sitting in a chair with your back supported and your feet flat on the ground. I make sure that I have been sitting for at least 5 minutes before measuring.
2. your arm needs to be supported so that the upper arm is level with your heart. I put a cushion on the desk in front of me and put my arm on that.
3. You should be awake and out of bed for at least an hour and should not have eaten anything for at least half an hour
4. Of course, you have to use an automatic machine or have someone else take the reading with a sphygmometer. Omron is the brand of choice and the correct size of cuff is critical.

In my experience most doctors and nurses do not take the measurement correctly. When one of these people attempts to take my reading without meeting all the conditions, I refuse and complain to them. And then I don't go back.

Wish I had something more concrete to suggest to get the readings down. Losing weight and increasing aerobic exercise did it for me. I do get white coat hypertension readings as you do. I am concerned about these because I understand that they represent a risk level intermediate between true normal and uniformly high levels.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Khufu. You're right, but remember, my morning readings are meant to be under the same conditions, not to give me a standard BP value.

Today my morning reading was 122/82. Average is around 133/85 these days. Looking good.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Another month of data showing continuing improvement:

Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Al, To what do you attribute the improvement to since the end of Feb?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Al, To what do you attribute the improvement to since the end of Feb?
My thinking is that the combination* of low salt, higher potassium, plus magnesium and calcium supplements is gradually improving things. IOW, the improvement since the end of February is just the continuation of the trend. The Moore book says that it takes a while for these things to lower your blood pressure, with continued improvement over months or years.

I'm always skeptical, so other possibilities include

• There's just some random cycle here.
  • It's getting warmer in the morning
  • I've learned to relax more

It's now been exactly three months since I started this regimen.

*I can't say whether it's any one of these things or all four that are causing the improvement. If the blood pressure stays down, then after six months, I'll experiment by eliminating calcium. When that's resolved, I'll see if I can be a little less strict on restricting the sodium.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My thinking is that the combination* of low salt, higher potassium, plus magnesium and calcium supplements is gradually improving things. IOW, the improvement since the end of February is just the continuation of the trend. The Moore book says that it takes a while for these things to lower your blood pressure, with continued improvement over months or years.

I'm always skeptical, so other possibilities include

• There's just some random cycle here.
  • It's getting warmer in the morning
  • I've learned to relax more
It's now been exactly three months since I started this regimen.

*I can't say whether it's any one of these things or all four that are causing the improvement. If the blood pressure stays down, then after six months, I'll experiment by eliminating calcium. When that's resolved, I'll see if I can be a little less strict on restricting the sodium.
Your really doing good and I like your scientific method. I've been snacking too frequently on popcorn over the past several months and have seen my systolic pressure rise and its caused me to pack on a few more pounds. It also probably caused my salt consumption to go up as well. While I think my potassium is covered adequately with a banana on the cereal every morning, maybe I need to add the calcium/magnesium. The later is also supposed to good for PMS, so maybe thats why you are more relaxed
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think my potassium is covered adequately with a banana on the cereal every morning,
Yes, but you'd need 10 bananas to get to the RDA for potassium.

Bananas have good PR when it comes to potassium.

A medium banana has 450 mg of potassium
A 4 oz serving of turkey breast has 465 mg
Half an avocado has 602 mg
A cup of cooked spinach has 1,166 mg

and the RDA is 4,700 mg (which some feel is too low).

POTASSIUM CONTENT OF FOODS
DAIRY PRODUCTS PORTION POTASSIUM (mg)
Cheddar cheese 1.5 oz. 42
FRUIT AND JUICES
Avocado 1/2 602
Banana 1 medium 451
Blueberries, raw 1/2 cup 65
Strawberries 1/2 cup 123
LEGUMES & NUTS
Almonds, roasted 1 oz 219
Beans, red kidney, cooked 1 cup 629
Walnuts, English, shelled 1 oz 128
MEAT, FISH,
POULTRY & EGGS
Chicken, dark meat, roasted 4 oz 284
Chicken, light meat, roasted 4 oz 458
Chuck, choice, lean, cooked 4 oz 276
Cod, broiled with butter 4 oz 460
Egg 1 large 65
Flounder, broiled with butter 4 oz 460
Ground beef, lean, cooked 4 oz 305
Halibut, broiled 4 oz 596
Pork, loin chops, lean roasted 4 oz 373
Shad, baked 4 oz 428
Sirloin steak, lean, cooked 4 oz 409
Tuna, in water, chunk 3 oz 257
Turkey, dark meat, roasted 4 oz 450
Turkey, light meat, roasted 4 oz 465
VEGETABLES AND JUICES
Beet greens, cooked 1 cup 480
Beets, cooked, diced, drained 1 cup 354
Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 414
Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 846
Cabbage, red, raw, shredded 1 cup 240
Carrot, raw 1 246
Cauliflower, cooked 1 cup 240
Celery, raw 1 stalk 136
Coleslaw (w/mayonnaise) 1 cup 239
Collards 1 cup 498
Corn, cooked 1 ear 151
Eggplant, cooked, diced 1 cup 300
Green beans, cooked 1 cup 190
Green pepper 1 349
Lettuce, iceberg 1 cup 96
Lettuce, romaine 1 cup 143
Lima beans, immature, cooked 1 cup 376
Mushrooms, sliced, raw 1 cup 390
Okra, cooked 1 cup 268
Peas, cooked 1 cup 314
Potato, baked 1 long 782
Radishes 1/2 cup 185
Rutabaga, cooked, mashed 1 cup 1.320
Spinach, cooked 1 cup 1,166
Spinach, raw 1 cup 259
Squash, acorn, baked 1 cup 984
Squash, butternut, baked 1 cup 1,248
Sweet potatoes, baked 1 342
Tomato 1 medium 300
Tomato juice, canned 6 oz 413
Turnips, boiled, mashed 1 cup 432
Zucchini, cooked, sliced 1 cup 508

N
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

My blood pressure averaged about 150/100 two years ago. My new doctor decided to put me on a low dosage of BP medicine. A year later, my blood pressure was about the same so he increased my dosage. Just got back from the doctor again and despite the increased dosage, the BP is still about the same! Hasn't improved any since taking it. The only thing the meds have done for me is to give me a chronic dry cough. Very frustrating. When I asked him this time what I could do differently his reply was to "lose weight". Was hoping there was an easier option than that! I am skeptical that will have much of an impact. I have weight 30-40 lbs less than what I do know in the not so distance past and my blood pressure was about the same.

TromboneAl,
Does you research and reading indicate consumption of alcohol as much of a contributor? (I am a beer drinker)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Does you research and reading indicate consumption of alcohol as much of a contributor? (I am a beer drinker)
What I've seen is

>3 drinks per day - Yes
1-2 drinks per day - Maybe

There isn't much downside to reading the Moore book, and buying a salt substitute.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, but you'd need 10 bananas to get to the RDA for potassium.

Bananas have good PR when it comes to potassium.

A medium banana has 450 mg of potassium
A 4 oz serving of turkey breast has 465 mg
Half an avocado has 602 mg
A cup of cooked spinach has 1,166 mg

and the RDA is 4,700 mg (which some feel is too low).
Wow, had no idea. I also take a multi-vitamin so need to check the potassium in that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
My blood pressure averaged about 150/100 two years ago. My new doctor decided to put me on a low dosage of BP medicine. A year later, my blood pressure was about the same so he increased my dosage. Just got back from the doctor again and despite the increased dosage, the BP is still about the same! Hasn't improved any since taking it. The only thing the meds have done for me is to give me a chronic dry cough. Very frustrating. When I asked him this time what I could do differently his reply was to "lose weight". Was hoping there was an easier option than that! I am skeptical that will have much of an impact. I have weight 30-40 lbs less than what I do know in the not so distance past and my blood pressure was about the same.
(I am a beer drinker)
Skyvue,

I was having an internet chat with a guy some time ago who appeared to be quite an authority vitamins and various health issues. When I told him I was on a BP med, he asked if I had a cough to which I said no, but wanted to know why he asked that. He indicated that if I did, he would recommend taking CoQ10 as it supposedly eliminates the cough. Of course you can't believe everything you hear of the internet, so maybe best to check with your Dr, but even there, I'm not sure they have all the answers either.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Wow, had no idea. I also take a multi-vitamin so need to check the potassium in that. Thanks!
Your multivitamin will have at most 99 mg of Potassium in it. In other words, almost none. One can't sell a supplement with more than 99 mg, because potassium can be dangerous to people with some medical conditions.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

You can buy powdered potassium gluconate, and take enough to kill yourself if you want.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You can buy powdered potassium gluconate, and take enough to kill yourself if you want.
True. Same with potassium chloride.

Thanks again for turning me on to the Moore book, Ha.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #55

Interesting that supplements are limited to 100mg and yet a rutabaga with 1,320mg per cup isn't labeled with a warning sticker.

I'm certainly not getting 4,700mg of potassium and am scratching my head as to how anyone would, it would require 10-12 servings of potassium rich foods.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Interesting that supplements are limited to 100mg and yet a rutabaga with 1,320mg per cup isn't labeled with a warning sticker.
Yuck. I can't imagine eating a cup of rutabaga. Guess I'm not in any danger there.....

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yuck. I can't imagine eating a cup of rutabaga. Guess I'm not in any danger there.....
That was my Dad's favorite veggie. Mashed rutabaga drowning in salted butter and black pepper. I have to admit that I like it quite a bit too.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I'm certainly not getting 4,700mg of potassium and am scratching my head as to how anyone would, it would require 10-12 servings of potassium rich foods.
Same here. I don't think it's feasible. I figure I get maybe 3,000 mg.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #59

I just purchased a tiny rutabaga that looked like a runt of the litter. Got it home and discovered that it was sealed in wax. How am I supposed to get that off of it? So I figure maybe the wax must be edible but will save it until the more enlightened one returns home.

I looked at my intake today and it was less than 500 mg.

EDIT: So I'm headed back to Safeway to get a bushel of spinach. Will that wilt down to one cup.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

A huge bag (16 oz) wilts down to one large serving, but I find that the frozen spinach is much more convenient, unless you have a huge fridge.