Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
That's a good reminder. About 5% of hypertension turns out to be due to things like you described, or a kidney problem, over-active thyroid, or other hormone-secreting tumors. While we usually don't go hunting for them in every patient, they are worth considering in patients who do not respond well to usual therapy, in those who are young, or have very high or very sudden hypertension.
The is a book, "Healing Hypertension" by Samuel Mann, MD, he works at Columbia Presb in NYC at the HTN clinic.

He believes that if pressure comes on young, intense, hard to control, that there is a good chance it is caused by emotions that are not recognized by the patient seated deeply within usually caused by unresolved conflicts, thus the possible secretion of HTN causing hormones.

This is apprently my own case, at a young age, late teens, my pressure went up a lot, but I was also suffering from severe anxiety that made me very dizzy. No one addressed my state of mind at the time and I did not recognize that I was under much stress from events in my life that I did not understand. Docs did all sorts of tests and put me on tons of meds.

I walked around for years very dizzy and the only drug that made me feel any better was when they finally gave me valium, it stopped my head from spinning. It gave me relief. I was finally DX with severe depression/anxiety after having a severe breakdown, almost 20 years after DX of HTN.

I finally found a doctor who examined me as a person as well as a patient and stuck with him for 25 years. He reduced my meds and put me at ease. He understood me, he spoke to me. Pressure was ok with him.

When I moved, the new doc said my pressure was going up, even though I told him when I take it at about 5 drug store machines and have my own home monitors that all measured it within normal liimits. He said, "well I guess there is white coat hypertension" "Well no kidding" I told him.

So those out there with stubborn pressure, try to examine your inner selves, you may well be struggling with something very disturbing in your psyche that is causing you anger, anxiety, and whatever, that you don't fully recognize but sort of suspect is there. The mind is very powerful and I believe is the root of much illness along with diet and smoking.

jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Regular bodywork such as massage, reflexology, and reiki are great for hypertension. Our conscious and unconscious stressors take a heavy toll on our bodies....definitely check into the alternative streams.

citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RAE - I'm not a doc, but I like to keep my eye on BP, cholesterol, and ways to keep them under control, since my mom has waaay high cholesterol and my dad has trouble with his BP (both from their late 40s...I'm nearly there, but not a problem yet).

I've read in several places that omega-3s, particularly alpha-linoleic acid, found in flax, helps keep the BP in check. Another source is walnuts. You can sprinkle some ground flax seed on your cereal, eat a small handful of walnuts, or take a flaxseed oil capsule a couple times a day.

Someone mentioned fish oil capsules as well, also a good choice.

Other helpers are berries, tomatoes, and low-fat dairy.

Here is a link I found that may be of interest: The Blood-Pressure-Friendly Breakfast - RealAge Tip of the Day

Good luck.

Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
To add to what Rambler said...

My understanding is that ALA (vegetable sourced) needs to be converted to EPA to be used by our body, and fish oil is full of EPA.

I switched to canola oil a couple of years ago (I still use olive oil for low heat cooking, salads, etc) for higher heat cooking like stir frys, etc (although I use very little oil to start with.). Canola oil is high in Omega-3 (ALA) compared to other vegetable oils and is considered heart healthy. Canola oil is more heat stable than olive oil or flaxseed oil.

you cannot heat flaxseed oil at all. Even for salad and such, flaxseed oil and the grounds oxidize very very quickly. (That is why you see flaxseeds grounds sold in vacuum packs and the oil/grounds are often in the refrigerated secion, and if they are not, they should be.) I used to (I am too lazy now and not so health conscious) grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder along with walnuts/sunflower seeds and put the mixture in ziploc bags in the freezer, and took out a portion for salads, yogurt, etc, as needed.

I take omegabrite Omega-3 fish oils, ordered through I tried other fish oil capsules from different companies, but they all gave me heart burns and nasty fishy burps afterwards. Omegabrite doesn't give me hearburns or nasty smelly burps. Omegabrite is also more concentrated (higher EPA content per capsule than any other brands I've seen.). The side benefit of taking omegabrite for me is it really smoothes out my moods caused by hormone fluctionations. (you can read the benefits, etc on their website.)

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote