Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah S View Post
No telling. Even if true may have gone off cold turkey something that was not safe or was not really well controlled or maybe he just died.

I am an internist. I have had people come off meds safely and do well when they made changes. They needed to be monitored and sometimes had to go back on even when maintaining lifestyle changes However some people would endanger themselves by staying on meds after changing lifestyle because their bp would be low. I had a patient whose bp after weight loss was 70/40. She could barely stand up! Off the meds she was fine for at least 10 years ( then I ERd)
So true. I was on meds for 20+ years when I started losing weight. I see my PCP as I'm dizzy when I stand..... My BP was down around 50/80, doc says go off one med and monitor. Finally I am medication free!

Was off for over a year and had many Dr appointments with perfect BP. Unfortunately after moving to altitude I have had to go back on a beta blocker for now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #22
gone traveling

Fortunately have dodged high BP. Genetic I guess as parents didn't have it either. Do take a statin & glaucoma prevention eye drops & allergy shots, so if it's not one thing it's another.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mine was great, nice and low despite being a little overweight (BMI a whopping 25!), until it no longer was so great and started to sneak into the "pre-hypertension" territory. I tried a few diet schemes, finally settled on Weight Watchers, lost the weight, and now my BP is 105-110/60s. My A1C went from 5.7 to 5.2% too.

The DASH diet will also lower BP. It consists of 9-11 servings of fruit and veg per day and 3 servings of dairy or equivalent calcium supplement per day.

I'm also a retired internist. I've stopped medication for lots of patients who lost weight.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

You can affect bp with diet If you are serious and want to live without meds. High bp kills. Here is a very short video .. Like under five minutes that you should watch.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how...lood-pressure/

Good luck...oh and high bp wreaks havoc on you internal organs ...take it seriously
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #25
Administrator

No BP meds yet fortunately for myself or DW. (Ages 62 and 61)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #26
gone traveling

I've been on low dose lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide for many years. My BP is usually in the 100 to 115 range over 60 to 75 range. I have asked my PCP about stopping both the BP and cholesterol meds since my numbers are quite low, but he says no way since I am diabetic. I am not sure whether he is too conservative or providing sound advice.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
blood pressure med, yes or no?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP. Could the variation in readings be as simple as you drank coffee (caffeine) shortly before readings?

Not on any meds.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've been on low dose lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide for many years. My BP is usually in the 100 to 115 range over 60 to 75 range. I have asked my PCP about stopping both the BP and cholesterol meds since my numbers are quite low, but he says no way since I am diabetic. I am not sure whether he is too conservative or providing sound advice.
An ACE inhibitor (BP), statin (cholesterol), and baby aspirin are standard advice for anyone with diabetes. The ACE protects your kidneys and they all protect your heart from diabetes.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
An ACE inhibitor (BP), statin (cholesterol), and baby aspirin are standard advice for anyone with diabetes. The ACE protects your kidneys and they all protect your heart from diabetes.
Yes, I know that, but if you've made lifestyle changes in diet and exercise, is it really an absolute necessity. My A1Cs have been low pre-diabetic ever since I was diagnosed.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I take them. Both parents had HBP, and one of my brothers has it and was hospitalized for it. My was diagnosed s borderline about 10 yeas ago and I have been on them since. I really have not noticed any negative impact. With the medication by BP range has been 115-130/65-80.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

When I was 50 I had been feeling bad for a few months so went to the doc. It turns out that even though I was not overweight and walking 4-8 miles/day my BP was in the stoke range. They hospitalized me immediately to bring it down. Everyone on my Mom's side of the family have it.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #32

Amlodipine and Lisinopril. Been on them for 10 years. Hypertension runs in the family and nothing other than meds got it down.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I was 50 I had been feeling bad for a few months so went to the doc. It turns out that even though I was not overweight and walking 4-8 miles/day my BP was in the stoke range. They hospitalized me immediately to bring it down. Everyone on my Mom's side of the family have it.

What is considered "stroke range"? Just curious because I personally don't know anybody who was hospitalized because of high blood pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

resting Bp of 210/105. This also happened to my brother and he was in the hospital for 3 days. They gave me intravenous drugs while a nurse was in constant contact with the person in another room that was watching the machine that was monitoring me. She told me that if I ever needed to have this done again make sure the nurse that is in contact with the room monitor never leaves your side because you can die. It was a really scary situation.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #35

On a low dose of lisinopril. Originally prescribed with hydrochlorothiazide about fifteen years ago (age 42) but doctor thought we could experiment with dropping the HC post retirement and things are still well controlled. I had been tracking BP for several years before the meds started and had noticed a pattern of high readings during the school year and lower readings during summer vacation. When the BP ceased dropping in the summer, that's when the meds were started.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #36

66. About 6 months ago at physical doc put on metorprolol since bp was ~145 over high 80? Didn't change it much so added losartan. Still didn't do much and I was loathe to add anything more; highly skeptical of long term meds. Since then I've lost about 15# (I was borderline overweight). Done it basically by limiting calories, also much more plant based since LDL was creeping up. Now BP is running 120/70+.

Seems to be some indication 140/80 no big deal for 66. However, I've always had a rapid HR, resting close to 80 and when running hard or even hard biking get it to 165, even 170 if really push. But with the metoprolol now I'm hard pressed to get it over 140 and resting is in 60's. So I figure that can't be a bad thing; it seems my energy output hasn't been affected so it's not like I'm limited.

Also started me on the low dose aspirin. Just feels weird meting out 3 drugs every morning. Oh well.

Also reduced caffeine. Good luck on the sodium. I use Myfitnesspal and pretty rigorously account for what I eat although now I sort of wing it knowing what caloric count is for portions I'm eating. However, I don't think there's been a day when I'm not well over what MFP says my sodium target is. That's just from what I eat, and I now rarely add salt at table. Oh, and if you like beer counting calories will spoil that fun in a hurry, especially a few good IPA's.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #37

Age 70, no meds. BP at last doctor's appointment was 105/65
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Seems to be some indication 140/80 no big deal for 66.
IIRC, it wasn't that long ago that the AMA revised its guidelines to say no treatment is necessary for those over 60 until BP gets over 150/90.

My normal systolic is anywhere from 135-145 and diastolic is always somewhere in the 80s. My doc doesn't feel drugs are needed.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #39

Kind of a warning , but a very serious true story . When I was in my late thirties I had a cold on a Saturday afternoon . I went to one of the corner clinics . Of course they checked my BP the doctor told me my BP was real high and wanted to do an EKG . I got mad and told him I just had a cold and walked out . ( very Immature ) Now roll the clock forward many years I get a physical , I liked the Doc he told me I had high BP. Put me on meds and brought it into range. 122/88 but finding out because of the time with high BP I really damaged my kidney . Now today I take my meds try to lose weight .( I will ) and watch and work to keep my kidney function stable . I asked my what causes high BP he said who knows , hereditary , lifestyle , diet.... But he told me I will never be off BP medicine . I am very honest do not play with this get it under control however and leave it alone.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What is considered "stroke range"? Just curious because I personally don't know anybody who was hospitalized because of high blood pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I know one. My brother almost had a heart attack and had to stay in the hospital for a few days for observation.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote