blood pressure med, yes or no?

I've been on low dose lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide for many years. My BP is usually in the 100 to 115 range over 60 to 75 range. I have asked my PCP about stopping both the BP and cholesterol meds since my numbers are quite low, but he says no way since I am diabetic. I am not sure whether he is too conservative or providing sound advice.

OP. Could the variation in readings be as simple as you drank coffee (caffeine) shortly before readings?

Not on any meds.

I've been on low dose lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide for many years. My BP is usually in the 100 to 115 range over 60 to 75 range. I have asked my PCP about stopping both the BP and cholesterol meds since my numbers are quite low, but he says no way since I am diabetic. I am not sure whether he is too conservative or providing sound advice.

An ACE inhibitor (BP), statin (cholesterol), and baby aspirin are standard advice for anyone with diabetes. The ACE protects your kidneys and they all protect your heart from diabetes.

An ACE inhibitor (BP), statin (cholesterol), and baby aspirin are standard advice for anyone with diabetes. The ACE protects your kidneys and they all protect your heart from diabetes.

Yes, I know that, but if you've made lifestyle changes in diet and exercise, is it really an absolute necessity. My A1Cs have been low pre-diabetic ever since I was diagnosed.

I take them. Both parents had HBP, and one of my brothers has it and was hospitalized for it. My was diagnosed s borderline about 10 yeas ago and I have been on them since. I really have not noticed any negative impact. With the medication by BP range has been 115-130/65-80.

When I was 50 I had been feeling bad for a few months so went to the doc. It turns out that even though I was not overweight and walking 4-8 miles/day my BP was in the stoke range. They hospitalized me immediately to bring it down. Everyone on my Mom's side of the family have it.

Amlodipine and Lisinopril. Been on them for 10 years. Hypertension runs in the family and nothing other than meds got it down.

When I was 50 I had been feeling bad for a few months so went to the doc. It turns out that even though I was not overweight and walking 4-8 miles/day my BP was in the stoke range. They hospitalized me immediately to bring it down. Everyone on my Mom's side of the family have it.

What is considered "stroke range"? Just curious because I personally don't know anybody who was hospitalized because of high blood pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

resting Bp of 210/105. This also happened to my brother and he was in the hospital for 3 days. They gave me intravenous drugs while a nurse was in constant contact with the person in another room that was watching the machine that was monitoring me. She told me that if I ever needed to have this done again make sure the nurse that is in contact with the room monitor never leaves your side because you can die. It was a really scary situation.

On a low dose of lisinopril. Originally prescribed with hydrochlorothiazide about fifteen years ago (age 42) but doctor thought we could experiment with dropping the HC post retirement and things are still well controlled. I had been tracking BP for several years before the meds started and had noticed a pattern of high readings during the school year and lower readings during summer vacation. When the BP ceased dropping in the summer, that's when the meds were started.

66. About 6 months ago at physical doc put on metorprolol since bp was ~145 over high 80? Didn't change it much so added losartan. Still didn't do much and I was loathe to add anything more; highly skeptical of long term meds. Since then I've lost about 15# (I was borderline overweight). Done it basically by limiting calories, also much more plant based since LDL was creeping up. Now BP is running 120/70+.

Seems to be some indication 140/80 no big deal for 66. However, I've always had a rapid HR, resting close to 80 and when running hard or even hard biking get it to 165, even 170 if really push. But with the metoprolol now I'm hard pressed to get it over 140 and resting is in 60's. So I figure that can't be a bad thing; it seems my energy output hasn't been affected so it's not like I'm limited.

Also started me on the low dose aspirin. Just feels weird meting out 3 drugs every morning. Oh well.

Also reduced caffeine. Good luck on the sodium. I use Myfitnesspal and pretty rigorously account for what I eat although now I sort of wing it knowing what caloric count is for portions I'm eating. However, I don't think there's been a day when I'm not well over what MFP says my sodium target is. That's just from what I eat, and I now rarely add salt at table. Oh, and if you like beer counting calories will spoil that fun in a hurry, especially a few good IPA's.

Age 70, no meds. BP at last doctor's appointment was 105/65

Seems to be some indication 140/80 no big deal for 66.

IIRC, it wasn't that long ago that the AMA revised its guidelines to say no treatment is necessary for those over 60 until BP gets over 150/90.

My normal systolic is anywhere from 135-145 and diastolic is always somewhere in the 80s. My doc doesn't feel drugs are needed.

Kind of a warning , but a very serious true story . When I was in my late thirties I had a cold on a Saturday afternoon . I went to one of the corner clinics . Of course they checked my BP the doctor told me my BP was real high and wanted to do an EKG . I got mad and told him I just had a cold and walked out . ( very Immature ) Now roll the clock forward many years I get a physical , I liked the Doc he told me I had high BP. Put me on meds and brought it into range. 122/88 but finding out because of the time with high BP I really damaged my kidney . Now today I take my meds try to lose weight .( I will ) and watch and work to keep my kidney function stable . I asked my what causes high BP he said who knows , hereditary , lifestyle , diet.... But he told me I will never be off BP medicine . I am very honest do not play with this get it under control however and leave it alone.

What is considered "stroke range"? Just curious because I personally don't know anybody who was hospitalized because of high blood pressure.

I know one. My brother almost had a heart attack and had to stay in the hospital for a few days for observation.

Kind of a warning , but a very serious true story . When I was in my late thirties I had a cold on a Saturday afternoon . I went to one of the corner clinics . Of course they checked my BP the doctor told me my BP was real high and wanted to do an EKG . I got mad and told him I just had a cold and walked out . ( very Immature ) Now roll the clock forward many years I get a physical , I liked the Doc he told me I had high BP. Put me on meds and brought it into range. 122/88 but finding out because of the time with high BP I really damaged my kidney . Now today I take my meds try to lose weight .( I will ) and watch and work to keep my kidney function stable . I asked my what causes high BP he said who knows , hereditary , lifestyle , diet.... But he told me I will never be off BP medicine . I am very honest do not play with this get it under control however and leave it alone.
My father was always thin and fit. He practiced yoga 2 hours everyday, but he had high BP, I think it's genetic. Eventually he had a stroke, it also damaged his kidney. He had dialysis 3 times a week before he died.

Having this hanging over you without knowing what is going on is frightening , I pray to god every day that I never have to go on dialysis!

10 mg lisinopril / 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide little blue combo pills, for the last 15 years.

Please note that high bp is not a disease in and of itself but a biomarker of further cardiovascular disease. Take it seriously. Losing weightless if you are overweight because weight itself makes pushing blood i to a larger being than it was designed for makes the heart have to work harder and this increase bp. When your veins and arteries become unhealthy from a diet high in animal foods or exposed to high stress and cortisol (a stress hormone that is inflammatory) is flowing they don't have the ability to relax and open when needed and pressure can bui!d quickly when blood flow is especially needed. Lifestyle (aka diet and exercise) changes are almost always able to bring bp down. I highly recommend you or anyone watch the documentary Forks Over KNIVES. It is on Netflix and is very informative. Remember that treating high bp withl pharmaceuticals is treating only a symptom not the root problem. PM me if you would like additional ways to educate yourself...cheers

Please note that high bp is not a disease in and of itself but a biomarker of further cardiovascular disease. Take it seriously. Losing weightless if you are overweight because weight itself makes pushing blood i to a larger being than it was designed for makes the heart have to work harder and this increase bp. When your veins and arteries become unhealthy from a diet high in animal foods or exposed to high stress and cortisol (a stress hormone that is inflammatory) is flowing they don't have the ability to relax and open when needed and pressure can bui!d quickly when blood flow is especially needed. Lifestyle (aka diet and exercise) changes are almost always able to bring bp down. I highly recommend you or anyone watch the documentary Forks Over KNIVES. It is on Netflix and is very informative. Remember that treating high bp withl pharmaceuticals is treating only a symptom not the root problem. PM me if you would like additional ways to educate yourself...cheers

Does high BP lead to diabetes?

resting Bp of 210/105. This also happened to my brother and he was in the hospital for 3 days. They gave me intravenous drugs while a nurse was in constant contact with the person in another room that was watching the machine that was monitoring me. She told me that if I ever needed to have this done again make sure the nurse that is in contact with the room monitor never leaves your side because you can die. It was a really scary situation.

Wow that's is really high. What you went through (and how you were monitored) illustrates how serious this was. It's great you went to your doctor to get it checked out.

My Mom's BP meds would suddenly stop working after taking them for a number of years and I am finding I have the same problem. So I take it a few times a week. Usually the meds work for about 4 years and then I need something new.

My Mom's BP meds would suddenly stop working after taking them for a number of years and I am finding I have the same problem. So I take it a few times a week. Usually the meds work for about 4 years and then I need something new.
I have had the opposite. After years on a beta blocker(atenelol) my heartrate slowed further down, way down.

When I started on the medicine my resting heartrate was 55 bpm. A little low but not a problem. Fifteen years later I was having problems staying upright. In the ER with a team working on me my RHR was 36. They changed my meds.

Back
Top Bottom