Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Kind of a warning , but a very serious true story . When I was in my late thirties I had a cold on a Saturday afternoon . I went to one of the corner clinics . Of course they checked my BP the doctor told me my BP was real high and wanted to do an EKG . I got mad and told him I just had a cold and walked out . ( very Immature ) Now roll the clock forward many years I get a physical , I liked the Doc he told me I had high BP. Put me on meds and brought it into range. 122/88 but finding out because of the time with high BP I really damaged my kidney . Now today I take my meds try to lose weight .( I will ) and watch and work to keep my kidney function stable . I asked my what causes high BP he said who knows , hereditary , lifestyle , diet.... But he told me I will never be off BP medicine . I am very honest do not play with this get it under control however and leave it alone.
My father was always thin and fit. He practiced yoga 2 hours everyday, but he had high BP, I think it's genetic. Eventually he had a stroke, it also damaged his kidney. He had dialysis 3 times a week before he died.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #42

Having this hanging over you without knowing what is going on is frightening , I pray to god every day that I never have to go on dialysis!
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

10 mg lisinopril / 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide little blue combo pills, for the last 15 years.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Please note that high bp is not a disease in and of itself but a biomarker of further cardiovascular disease. Take it seriously. Losing weightless if you are overweight because weight itself makes pushing blood i to a larger being than it was designed for makes the heart have to work harder and this increase bp. When your veins and arteries become unhealthy from a diet high in animal foods or exposed to high stress and cortisol (a stress hormone that is inflammatory) is flowing they don't have the ability to relax and open when needed and pressure can bui!d quickly when blood flow is especially needed. Lifestyle (aka diet and exercise) changes are almost always able to bring bp down. I highly recommend you or anyone watch the documentary Forks Over KNIVES. It is on Netflix and is very informative. Remember that treating high bp withl pharmaceuticals is treating only a symptom not the root problem. PM me if you would like additional ways to educate yourself...cheers
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
Please note that high bp is not a disease in and of itself but a biomarker of further cardiovascular disease. Take it seriously. Losing weightless if you are overweight because weight itself makes pushing blood i to a larger being than it was designed for makes the heart have to work harder and this increase bp. When your veins and arteries become unhealthy from a diet high in animal foods or exposed to high stress and cortisol (a stress hormone that is inflammatory) is flowing they don't have the ability to relax and open when needed and pressure can bui!d quickly when blood flow is especially needed. Lifestyle (aka diet and exercise) changes are almost always able to bring bp down. I highly recommend you or anyone watch the documentary Forks Over KNIVES. It is on Netflix and is very informative. Remember that treating high bp withl pharmaceuticals is treating only a symptom not the root problem. PM me if you would like additional ways to educate yourself...cheers

Does high BP lead to diabetes?
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
My sister has pre-diabetes too. She started with high BP. It doesn't help that she doesn't even lift a finger or exercise.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
resting Bp of 210/105. This also happened to my brother and he was in the hospital for 3 days. They gave me intravenous drugs while a nurse was in constant contact with the person in another room that was watching the machine that was monitoring me. She told me that if I ever needed to have this done again make sure the nurse that is in contact with the room monitor never leaves your side because you can die. It was a really scary situation.

Wow that's is really high. What you went through (and how you were monitored) illustrates how serious this was. It's great you went to your doctor to get it checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Read this High blood pressure: does it lead to diabetes? - Health News - NHS Choices
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

My Mom's BP meds would suddenly stop working after taking them for a number of years and I am finding I have the same problem. So I take it a few times a week. Usually the meds work for about 4 years and then I need something new.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My Mom's BP meds would suddenly stop working after taking them for a number of years and I am finding I have the same problem. So I take it a few times a week. Usually the meds work for about 4 years and then I need something new.
I have had the opposite. After years on a beta blocker(atenelol) my heartrate slowed further down, way down.

When I started on the medicine my resting heartrate was 55 bpm. A little low but not a problem. Fifteen years later I was having problems staying upright. In the ER with a team working on me my RHR was 36. They changed my meds.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

MRG: I will pay attention to my heart rate too then. It was too fast and erratic and they have no idea why so I am on a beta-blocker.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

A philosophy that I've developed over the years.

Search for a doctor that I trust.
Learn all I can about whatever health situation is manifested. Hours of research on line on both recognized legitimate websites, then going to the footnoted back up.
Discuss with the doctor in medical terms. (This is most important, and I would never stay with a doctor who wouldn't do this.)
Agree with recommendations that make sense, then follow through with whatever medication or form of treatment is required.

From a terrible outlook, some 20 years ago, with blood panel projecting a early death, to today, with every reading in the normal or better than normal range.. BP 120/70.

Yes... two vitamins and six medications that are taken daily. With the exception of normal (and increasing) arthritis, I feel better than I did when I was in my 50's.

Each to his/her own belief.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I have been on them since about age 40. I should have started them years earlier. Started with lisinopril and loved how good I felt immediately. I no longer had the daily morning headache which I had (incorrectly) attributed to stress. Unfortunately, I developed a cough so can't take ACE inhibitors, but Losartan now works fine for me. I am a healthy weight, vegetarian, and up until my plantar fasciitis flare 6 months ago jogged at least 5 days a week. I did cut my dose in half because I was having so much postural hypertension. At one point I weaned myself of the losartan, but the BP crept up and the morning headaches came back. I am happy now to just stay on 25mg of Losartan, watch the BP and resume jogging once the foot cooperates. Some of us may just need to stay on meds.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #54

67 here and no meds of any kind other than as-needed OTC naproxen for knees with too many years and too many miles on them.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I have been taking them for 25+ years.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

I am also against meds but blood pressure is one I have to take. My father had high blood pressure. I'm in pretty good shape for 61. I bike, hike, etc.

It took a while to dial in the right med and dose.
timerfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Use a beta blocker. Helps bp which was marginal-high, but mostly take for preventing a-fib.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A philosophy that I've developed over the years.

Search for a doctor that I trust.
Learn all I can about whatever health situation is manifested. Hours of research on line on both recognized legitimate websites, then going to the footnoted back up.
Discuss with the doctor in medical terms. (This is most important, and I would never stay with a doctor who wouldn't do this.)
Agree with recommendations that make sense, then follow through with whatever medication or form of treatment is required.

From a terrible outlook, some 20 years ago, with blood panel projecting a early death, to today, with every reading in the normal or better than normal range.. BP 120/70.

Yes... two vitamins and six medications that are taken daily. With the exception of normal (and increasing) arthritis, I feel better than I did when I was in my 50's.

Each to his/her own belief.
Amen. Two BP meds and one cholesterol. 30 years and counting. Started in my 40's.

heh heh heh - Changed my lifestyle. Still the thought of a fried seafood platter with chili cheese fries is a wistful memory.

And ketchup.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #59

Same here unclemick on the meds. About the lifestyle change, I'm fixin to start thinking on that.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Nope, BP is normal/low.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote