Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #81
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am on that same Beta blocker, and I am a big fan of it for me. In my case, the dosage of Metoprolol is only 25 mg. Plus, I am on 25 mg Losartan for BP as well. Consequently my heart rate and blood pressure are amazing, typically around 105/72 and 65 beats per minute.
Salt - - I normally do not add extra salt to my food, but I eat out at lunch every day so I get plenty of salt that way. Yesterday I did something unusual, and added a LOT of salt to my eggs and to my green beans, just for the taste of it and to see what it would be like to add salt after years of no extra salt. I was daydreaming about chips and just kept shaking that salt shaker....

Today, my BP is 98/52 and 60 bpm. Lower BP in response to extra salt? Go figure. It must be due to something else, though I can't imagine what. If it stays this low, maybe I can get my internist to tweak my BP meds. Nah, I'm not that lucky but I can dream...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would like to give all an update since all my test results have returned and saw the doctor today. My cholesterol numbers are improved after 3 months of careful diet although total cholesterol is still high at 7.44 but good cholesterol is high too. Due to fluctuating BP, I did a test which involved wearing a full day BP monitor ( only confirmed further my BP fluctuates throughout the day) and testing various urine composition affecting BP on my urine collected over 24 hours. The tests indicated normal ranges - not even hypertension! My BP measurements at home are usually within normal range but when doc measured me today, it was 150/90. Given all the tests, it would appear I am a usually high stressed person (I recently signed up for a year of meditation yoga - hope it helps). A blood test on my fasting glucose indicated I am pre- diabetic and given my grandma was diabetic, I took an oral glucose tolerance test and turned out I am not even pre-diabetic. So, doctor recommended that I just continue to monitor my BP at home and maintain a low cholesterol diet with lots of oatmeal and see him in August. No medication at all for the moment! Good thing the insurance is paying for all the expensive tests.

Would I have gone through all these tests if insurance is not paying? I would have because if I did not, I would have started taking medication for a supposedly high BP and pre diabetic condition. I would have been highly worried as a high BP and pre- diabetic condition is not good at all with a high cholesterol condition. Now, I just focus on a low cholesterol diet, exercise and learn to relax more.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Would like to give all an update since all my test results have returned and saw the doctor today. My cholesterol numbers are improved after 3 months of careful diet although total cholesterol is still high at 7.44 but good cholesterol is high too. Due to fluctuating BP, I did a test which involved wearing a full day BP monitor ( only confirmed further my BP fluctuates throughout the day) and testing various urine composition affecting BP on my urine collected over 24 hours. The tests indicated normal ranges - not even hypertension! My BP measurements at home are usually within normal range but when doc measured me today, it was 150/90. Given all the tests, it would appear I am a usually high stressed person (I recently signed up for a year of meditation yoga - hope it helps). A blood test on my fasting glucose indicated I am pre- diabetic and given my grandma was diabetic, I took an oral glucose tolerance test and turned out I am not even pre-diabetic. So, doctor recommended that I just continue to monitor my BP at home and maintain a low cholesterol diet with lots of oatmeal and see him in August. No medication at all for the moment! Good thing the insurance is paying for all the expensive tests.

Would I have gone through all these tests if insurance is not paying? I would have because if I did not, I would have started taking medication for a supposedly high BP and pre diabetic condition. I would have been highly worried as a high BP and pre- diabetic condition is not good at all with a high cholesterol condition. Now, I just focus on a low cholesterol diet, exercise and learn to relax more.
that is great news!
I have the same prob. with BP, at office it is high and home it is normal.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are many different "basic" types of BP medicines... For anyone taking medication for high blood pressure, it might be worthwhile to learn what kind of drug you are taking, and important to understand what it might be doing to lower your blood pressure.
First of all, do you know what kind of medication? Which of these categories does it fit into?

ACE inhibitors
Angiotensen II receptor blockers
Calcium channel blockers
Alpha blockers
Alpha-2 Receptor Agonist
Combined alpha and beta blockers
Central agonists
Peripheral adrenergenic inhibitors
Blood vessel dilators, or vasodilators

Secondly... do you know what your medication actually does to lower your BP?

Third... what are the side effects?... short term? long term?

Why did your doctor prescribe the medication you are taking, and not some other type?

Results usually equate to success, but there are other considerations... Cost in $$$, overkill... resulting in lower BP, but covering up other bad habits that may have longer lasting effects... not just overeating, but masking the effects of smoking, alcohol, or other destructive lifestyles: ie...
a neighbor bragged about his "healthy" blood pressure, but died from cirrhosis of the liver.

ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril, have a possible side effect on the kidneys, which might require periodic testing to prevent damage, or to possibly change to a different medication.

As with anything else that deals with our physical health, there aren't always simple answers. If BP was simply a matter of salt, carbs, weight, exercise or a special diet, then that would be the magic cure for all. In the case of those taking medication, taking the time to understand what your medicine does, and how it works, could pay off over the longer term...

Basic information on BP medications here:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...47_Article.jsp