Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 on HCTZ 25 mg. Been on it for 30 years. Gone through several Doctors and first to prescribe it was a USN Doctor and others just continue to prescribe it. However I have also stopped the bread, cakes & other carbohydrates and have lost 35 pounds over the past 9 months. My current BP can be low or high at times really a mystery why it does not stay low. After reading this thread I think I will try to eliminate the added SALT and see what that does (I do like the salt shaker).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
+1 on HCTZ 25 mg. Been on it for 30 years. Gone through several Doctors and first to prescribe it was a USN Doctor and others just continue to prescribe it. However I have also stopped the bread, cakes & other carbohydrates and have lost 35 pounds over the past 9 months. My current BP can be low or high at times really a mystery why it does not stay low. After reading this thread I think I will try to eliminate the added SALT and see what that does (I do like the salt shaker).

You retired the year after I came in!

I too see USN doctors. Have been for the past 36 years. I was put on BP medication last year for the first time. HCTZ 25 mg was the drug of choice by my doctor. 1 year later and a new doctor (Tricare issues) the new doctor takes me off of HCTZ 25 mg because he says...."it's very bad for your kidneys". Apparently it is doing right by by you for many years. I think it may be a new breed of USN Docs!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #43

I thought of another blood pressure tip. There have been several studies that compare coffee filtered through paper to coffee prepared without paper. Paper filtered coffee was significantly better. Paper filtered coffee also has less effect on LDL. If you're a coffee drinker, it might be worth a try.

Here are the Latest JNC hypertension regulations:

The JNC 8 Hypertension Guidelines: An In-Depth Guide | Page
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I thought of another blood pressure tip. There have been several studies that compare coffee filtered through paper to coffee prepared without paper. Paper filtered coffee was significantly better. Paper filtered coffee also has less effect on LDL. If you're a coffee drinker, it might be worth a try.

Here are the Latest JNC hypertension regulations:

The JNC 8 Hypertension Guidelines: An In-Depth Guide | Page

• In patients 18 to 59 years of age without major comorbidities, and in patients 60 years or older who have diabetes, chronic kidney disease (CKD), or both conditions, the new goal blood pressure level is <140/90 mm Hg.

My doctor wants me at 120/70. I dont think if I was dead my BP would be that low.

Mike
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #45

The JNC8 Guidelines (not "regulations", sometimes my hands pay no attention to my brain) were just published last month and there are significant changes vs JNC-7. Target BP ranges are the big (and somewhat controversial) change, so your doctor must be following the guidelines from 5 weeks ago. Fortunately, they don't get changed more than every few years as more studies are done.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My understanding is that only 20% of the population respond to salt reduction. When I had high blood pressure myself, reducing the level of salt in my diet did not affect BP readings. So, I stopped paying attention to it. Losing weight and exercise did the trick for me in controlling BP.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
My understanding is that only 20% of the population respond to salt reduction. When I had high blood pressure myself, reducing the level of salt in my diet did not affect BP readings. So, I stopped paying attention to it. Losing weight and exercise did the trick for me in controlling BP.
It's always the last thing you try, isn't it?

I tried losing weight, exercise, and the DASH diet (without metering the sodium). Paying attention to the sodium is what worked for me.

Does this mean I can stop exercising and weight watching now?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Update
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Update

BP meds are working. No side effects noted yet.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
BP meds are working. No side effects noted yet.
If you don't mind me asking, what did they put you on?

Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was on BP (Ramipril) since my HA 18 months ago. I was on the lowest dose and that was after I resisted since I don't have high
BP. I am so disgusted with the "rubber stamp" method all of the Cardiologist I have had use. If you investigate , the study they all reference is 20 years old. If you look at the study you will find that at the time , many in the health community, shot the study full of holes. The study claim that the pill reduced cardiac incidence by 30 % , in reality it reduced events by about 3%. As one reviewer determined , you would have to treat 75 people for 4 1/2 years to prevent one event. Its all about the money.
franco45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
I was on BP (Ramipril) since my HA 18 months ago. I was on the lowest dose and that was after I resisted since I don't have high
BP. I am so disgusted with the "rubber stamp" method all of the Cardiologist I have had use. If you investigate , the study they all reference is 20 years old. If you look at the study you will find that at the time , many in the health community, shot the study full of holes. The study claim that the pill reduced cardiac incidence by 30 % , in reality it reduced events by about 3%. As one reviewer determined , you would have to treat 75 people for 4 1/2 years to prevent one event. Its all about the money.
An NNT of 75 for a cheap and safe drug doesn't sound all that bad, but I'm not sure where you got that data. You weren't being prescribed an ACE for your blood pressure, either. Do you have a primary care doc you trust? You could schedule an appointment to go over your medications and discuss why you are taking each one, any possible downside, how long they should be continued, etc. The standard of care after a heart attack is an array of generic and inexpensive drugs which is unlikely to make any doctor rich and which really doesn't even need that much monitoring.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/ang...ion/abstract/1
Old 03-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, to me, the more i look at studies, the more I become skeptical. For instance, if you look at the " group" that was in the study:
BP 139/79 (mine 110/60 or less)
Diabetes 38% ( i am not diabetic)
High Cholesterol 66% (i have normal cholesterol)
Smokers 14%(never smoked)
BMI 28 (my BMI is 21)

So what does the "study" really mean to me?
And you say that for a cheep drug, the results are not bad? How about if you factor in the people that had kidney failure or any of the other know side effects?
I don't know, maybe its just me.
And. On a related note. We always hear about all the medical mistakes in hospitals. Yesterday i called an old friend that I video chat with all the time. I was surprised to see him answer in a hospital bed. His doc wanted to try a new medication on him but required he check into a hospital where he can be monitored. We chatted for 45 minutes and during that time, one nurse came in with a medication for him to take and he had already taken it, then a little later another came in with the new medication that he was not supposed to taking for another two hours. Really gives you confidence in the system.
franco45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #53

Am so glad to read this post. My doctor has put me on a 24-hour BP measurement machine today and as I read this thread, the machine is taking my BP ( takes every half hour and I have to sleep with it tonite). Will only get it removed tomorrow afternoon. He decided to do this after my very erratic home readings for 2 weeks and high readings in the clinic. My blood cholesterol is also high (both HDL and LDL are high). So tomorrow I will go for blood and urine tests. 3 weeks later I am scheduled to see the doctor and if results are not good, I'll be asking what medicine will I need to take. I hope he prescribes me some mild ones first. I know nothing about BP medicine, so thanks to all for contributing to this thread.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Am so glad to read this post. My doctor has put me on a 24-hour BP measurement machine today and as I read this thread, the machine is taking my BP ( takes every half hour and I have to sleep with it tonite). Will only get it removed tomorrow afternoon. He decided to do this after my very erratic home readings for 2 weeks and high readings in the clinic. My blood cholesterol is also high (both HDL and LDL are high). So tomorrow I will go for blood and urine tests. 3 weeks later I am scheduled to see the doctor and if results are not good, I'll be asking what medicine will I need to take. I hope he prescribes me some mild ones first. I know nothing about BP medicine, so thanks to all for contributing to this thread.

I wish to add that I have made a lot of lifestyle changes - exercise and food. But looks like I need to read up more as I did not know bread contains so much sodium as pointed out in this thread.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #55

Quote:
I wish to add that I have made a lot of lifestyle changes - exercise and food. But looks like I need to read up more as I did not know bread contains so much sodium as pointed out in this thread.

Stay away from "white".........bread, rice, pasta, etc!

Mike
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Stay away from "white".........bread, rice, pasta, etc!

Mike

Pardon my ignorance but if I cook my white rice in unsalted water, is white rice then high in sodium? I googled about sodium in white rice and got this -

"White Rice & Brown Rice: Rice is not only good for suppressing hunger, but it also contains the least amount of sodium. If you were to eat 1 cup of brown rice, you would only be eating 8mg of sodium and if you were to eat 1 cup of white rice you would only be eating 4mg of sodium."

I love eating white rice and worry whether I need to cut down on this. I cook my white rice in unsalted water.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but if I cook my white rice in unsalted water, is white rice then high in sodium? I googled about sodium in white rice and got this -

"White Rice & Brown Rice: Rice is not only good for suppressing hunger, but it also contains the least amount of sodium. If you were to eat 1 cup of brown rice, you would only be eating 8mg of sodium and if you were to eat 1 cup of white rice you would only be eating 4mg of sodium."

I love eating white rice and worry whether I need to cut down on this. I cook my white rice in unsalted water.

Makes sense to me. I love rice also but my doctor tells me not to eat it.

"White rice is considered a high glycemic index food or fast carb. This means it is rapidly broken down into sugar in the body. This can contribute to insulin resistance, glucose spikes after eating white rice and was shown that eating white rice five times a week increased the risk for type 2 diabetes. Brown rice is lower on the glycemic index and actually decreases the risk of diabetes for those who ate two servings per week."

Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what did they put you on?

Mike
generic for Zestoretic 10-12.5 mg tab once a day
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
Interesting discussion. And the reason we seldom eat out.
+1

You have no idea what they put in the food.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It sounds as if your doctor is taking good care of you. And, as for BP medicine, I wouldn't worry about having to take it. I've been taking BP medicine for 10-15 years (I never counted). Anyhow, I've not had any negative side effects. I know people who became light-headed or dizzy taking their BP meds, but if those symptoms persisted for more than a few days, the MD just lessened the dose or simply switched the BP meds. It is really no big deal. I'm often grateful (truly) that these meds are around, because without them a lot of us would be dead (or worse).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote