Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm on two BP meds: Losartan (generic for Cozaar) and Amlodipine. Together they bring my BP down from what was 180/105 to 122/75, with no side effects, so I'm happy. I'm stuck with bad genes for BP and dietary changes make no difference. Because of that I've actually been told to avoid whole grains, brown rice and several other "heart healthy" foods because of my history with kidney stones which require nearly the opposite of a heart healthy diet to avoid. Of course it's everything in moderation so avoiding one problem doesn't bring on another.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Blood Pressure Medicines
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blood Pressure Medicines

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
It sounds as if your doctor is taking good care of you. And, as for BP medicine, I wouldn't worry about having to take it. I've been taking BP medicine for 10-15 years (I never counted). Anyhow, I've not had any negative side effects. I know people who became light-headed or dizzy taking their BP meds, but if those symptoms persisted for more than a few days, the MD just lessened the dose or simply switched the BP meds. It is really no big deal. I'm often grateful (truly) that these meds are around, because without them a lot of us would be dead (or worse).

Thanks! My 24 hr BP reading was indeed erratic but was completely normal between 10 pm to 8 am (sleep time). I have a feeling I am an anxious person during my awake hours! Anyways, still running some more tests. Do I have to give up alcohol on BP and anti cholesterol meds? I love my one or two glasses of wine on some days.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, Moscyn...

Please keep in mind that I am not an MD, I'm a patient.

As for wine, your doc will talk to you about that. My GUESS is that it will be ok to have one glass, I'm not sure about two glasses. By the way, I am also taking an anti-cholesterol med and have been for several years. That also seems to have been going smoothly. I was originally encouraged to take the anti-cholesterol med by my dermatologist as we were discussing our genetics during an office visit. My cardiologist is the prescribing MD, however.

Actually, the anti-cholesterol was changed after a few years, because of something I can't recall specifically. We changed the med (absolutely no issue in changing it) and all is going well once again.

Hope some of this helps.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Thanks! My 24 hr BP reading was indeed erratic but was completely normal between 10 pm to 8 am (sleep time). I have a feeling I am an anxious person during my awake hours! Anyways, still running some more tests. Do I have to give up alcohol on BP and anti cholesterol meds? I love my one or two glasses of wine on some days.

You'll need to talk to your doctor, but I'm on two BP meds and am still allowed to drink in moderation. I'm not on cholesterol meds, but take a red yeast rice supplement to keep the LDL and triglycerides down.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Thanks for the articles included in this thread.. this is new info to me. My Dr just increased my meds in order to get me into the teens/70's... I'm 62 and my readings have consistently been 130-140/80's or low 90's. Currently on Lisonpril HTCZ 20/12.5 in mornings and Amlodipine Bestylate 10mg in evenings (the new drug).

In any event I was concerned.. perhaps too concerned. I'm eating much better and exercising since ER at end of year. I'm going to stop worrying and be more optimistic knowing that I'm working' on it.

To the OP... I started with Lisonpril HTCZ years ago and had found it to be effective for a long while with no side effects for my. YMMV.

Cheers!
and now I've hit the Trifecta... Dr just added 50 mg Metoprolol ER Succinate (beta blockers) to my BP cocktail.. says it will help with heart rate and anxiety issues
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Blood Pressure Medicines
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #66

Blood Pressure Medicines

Thanks Redduck and Dash man. Will definitely ask the doctor a lot of questions if test results indicate I should be on meds.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you read up on the serious side effects on drugs, the bad stuff like renal or liver failure is in about 75% percent of the cases in people 65 and over. Reason, old organs just can't tolerate the toxic substances like the young one. The drug industry has convinced the general population thats its easier to pop a pill than to make a lifestyle change.
franco45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
........(snip)..................I'm often grateful (truly) that these meds are around, because without them a lot of us would be dead (or worse).
Now I understand what death is but worse than death? Got examples?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Blood Pressure Medicines
Old 03-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Blood Pressure Medicines

"Now I understand what death is but worse than death? Got examples?"

Having a stroke or major heart event and being in a vegetative state for the rest of ones life would be worse than death in my book. Just sayin.....
dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
If you read up on the serious side effects on drugs, the bad stuff like renal or liver failure is in about 75% percent of the cases in people 65 and over. Reason, old organs just can't tolerate the toxic substances like the young one. The drug industry has convinced the general population thats its easier to pop a pill than to make a lifestyle change.
.......and it can happen even if you are younger. If you value your health you might want to ask your doc to monitor relevant blood tests whenever you start taking a new med to be sure nothing weird is going on. I have personal experience with this so I will never forget. It might not be common but if you're the rare bird whose organs react
badly (w/o obvious symptoms), you might want to know early.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Maybe the age thing explains my DF. Perfect BP, till his mid 80s. From there he was on multiple meds.

I cut down on processed food and salt, when mine went higher and was put on meds. Today I only will salt a nice steak. For me once I got used to it, food actually tastes better.

After I had eaten this way for couple of years, I tried soup and sandwich at some chain. I couldn't eat the soup, the waiter asked if there was something wrong with the soup. My response 'you mean that cup of sea water?'.
MRG
I like to watch a few of the cooking shows on TV and I am always amazed at how much salt they use when cooking just one recipe. I don't use that amount of salt for an entire week. Restaurants use a huge amount of salt.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Restaurants use a huge amount of salt.
Biggest single reason I don't eat out much. I don't enjoy the taste of such salty food. They even put it in desserts!

At home, we eat hardly any processed food, just my own cooking, and I use hardly any salt.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #73

Nowadays when I eat out, I just tell them not to add salt to my food and I try to avoid ordering dishes with prepared sauces. Even salad dressing is always on the side so that I can choose not to add them in. On those rare occasions I have fried chips or fries, I just tell them no salt please. Initially, the food tastes kind of bland and without that "kick" but I now am used to it and rather enjoy it too.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
and now I've hit the Trifecta... Dr just added 50 mg Metoprolol ER Succinate (beta blockers) to my BP cocktail.. says it will help with heart rate and anxiety issues

Having any side effects with that Beta blocker?

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

BP meds have recently been associated with falls in elderly people in a recent study.

Blood Pressure Meds May Raise Risk of Serious Falls for Seniors: MedlinePlus

It's not clear whether the drop in blood pressure is responsible, or something else.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post

Mike
not so far.. BP has been in check and I'm trying to worry less about things. That seems to help with some of the anxiety issues I've had. Irrational, but certainly not fun.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Mike
I am on that same Beta blocker, and I am a big fan of it for me. In my case, the dosage of Metoprolol is only 25 mg. Plus, I am on 25 mg Losartan for BP as well. Consequently my heart rate and blood pressure are amazing, typically around 105/72 and 65 beats per minute. I love to use my home BP machine now, just to see how great the numbers are.

As far as side effects, none to report yet. These two replaced Fosinopril, which had a side effect for me (a long term cough that wouldn't go away). No cough, and much better numbers than I ever approached when on Fosinopril.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Mike
I'm on the same one (25 mg) with no other drugs at all. No issues and even if I forget to take one for a couple of days (like on a business trip when forgetting to take the meds along), I feel no different.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am on that same Beta blocker, and I am a big fan of it for me. In my case, the dosage of Metoprolol is only 25 mg. Plus, I am on 25 mg Losartan for BP as well. Consequently my heart rate and blood pressure are amazing, typically around 105/72 and 65 beats per minute. I love to use my home BP machine now, just to see how great the numbers are.

As far as side effects, none to report yet. These two replaced Fosinopril, which had a side effect for me (a long term cough that wouldn't go away). No cough, and much better numbers than I ever approached when on Fosinopril.

I'm currently on 20 mg of Lisinopril and 5 mg of Amlodopine daily. My BP is better but my heart rate is consistently high. I have a feeling my doc is going to put me on a beta blocker soon.

BTW: the Lisinopril side effects for me are a dry cough and cramping. According to my doctor the dry cough is common but the cramping symptoms are rare.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Had high blood pressure for probably 30 years.

Now I take the following once daily:

40mg Lisinopril (Free at local Pharmacy)
25mg HCTZ ($10 for 90 days)

No side effects. Seems to work for me.

Used to take Amlodipine but had terrible metal mouth and it really did not help much.

Tried Lisinopril on it's own but not much change, the HCTZ seems to make all the difference.