Join Early Retirement Today

Blood Pressure Monitor
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Blood Pressure Monitor

I'm looking for a blood pressure monitor. I have good blood pressure. When I go and see the doctor's, after they take it, they usually say, great. But I thought I'd get one anyhow to test routinely as high blood pressure runs in the family and I woundn't want this silent killer to sneak up on me.

What should I look for in a blood pressure monitor. What are the best choices?

1. Digital vs Manual?

2. Wrist vs forearm vs biceps?

3. Does price matter? I'm looking mostly for value and accuracy.

Did I leave something out? thx
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I have the Anova automatic arm one . It is $39.99 at Target . It comes with two cuffs and is accurate and easy to use .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This is what I got. I had an older Omron model where you had to pump it up yourself, but my hand would get tired! This one works like a champ - just awesome how it self inflates.
Amazon.com: Omron HEM-712C Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with IntelliSens

If you need an large cuff, they have a slightly different model available.

Audrey
Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We have a model similar to the one Audrey mentions and it has worked well. Consumer Reports gave good ratings to the Ormon models a couple of years ago.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have that exact one that Audrey has and it seems to be accurate and still working great after a few years. I think it's great. I had read something about the finger or wrist ones not being as accurate. Not sure about forearm but I figure having the cuff be the same place as the one at the dr's office is a good idea. Digital is certainly easier to use.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Omron is a good brand and there are several of their BP monitors at Walmart. We bought an Omron HEM-741CREL which was branded as a "ReliOn" brand. It cost about $40.

I bought this one after searching this forum. Model numbers change every few years, but the device is basically the same: Cuff + console. It's digital and batteries or AC-adapter for power. Simple. Easy. Reliable.

1. Digital
2. Bicep
3. Price does not matter.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all the info. Just clicked on the link that Audrey gave. High reviews at Amazon.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Way back when (several years ago), many hours of research led me to the Lifesource UB-328. I have been very happy with the results of my efforts -- even had it "calibrated" with my Doctor's equipment.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have an Omron, used on the bicep, and we've been very pleased with it. It's well made, easy to use and is holding up well after at least 2 years. I think it was from Amazon or maybe an eBay store, under $40.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got this a few weeks ago at Walgreens. WGNBPA-540 Automatic Deluxe Blood Pressure Monitor | Walgreens.

I've compared the readings against three different machines (dentist, endodontist and maxillofacial surgeon) and two different nurses using the old-fashioned sphygmomanometer and stethoscope at my PCP's office. It's pretty darn accurate and only cost $49.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

This is what Jay Leno would say:

If your hand gets tired pumping up the cuff, maybe high blood pressure isn't your biggest problem.

I have a manual Omron that cost $3 at a garage sale and it works great.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I have a manual Omron that cost $3 at a garage sale and it works great.
I think you got ripped off...
Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If your hand gets tired pumping up the cuff, maybe high blood pressure isn't your biggest problem.
I have very small hands, and that bladder is just not that easy to squeeze and keep inflated at the higher pressures. Exacerbated by an old wrist injury as well.

Audrey
Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife regularly uses an Omron wrist model. Although my doctor says that the wrist models are less accurate, my wife has taken hers with her to the doctor and it correlates well with their equipment.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Although my doctor says that the wrist models are less accurate, my wife has taken hers with her to the doctor and it correlates well with their equipment.
I find that a lot. I have challenged many people (mostly medically trained folks) with the same results. I don't understand this inbred bias against the wrist version. Someone should research this and explain to us non-medical "fraidy cats" what the real facts are.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I find that a lot. I have challenged many people (mostly medically trained folks) with the same results. I don't understand this inbred bias against the wrist version. Someone should research this and explain to us non-medical "fraidy cats" what the real facts are.
Ok DW is a physican

We never got accurate readings on the wrist unit.
but I have a very big wrist with big bones

DW could not get accurate readings with stethoscope on my wrist.

The Omron arm unit is both precise and accurate when checked both by DW and my KP doctor.

Possible repeat possible reason is that the wrist unit compresses the artery against bone and the arm unit compresses it against soft tissue. This may, repeat may affect the sound transmission.

key item is to get a big cuff if you have a big arm.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). Wrist monitors have a reputation for not being very accurate when used by a person with an irregular heartbeat. (Many wrist monitors even cannot detect an irregular heartbeat.) In addition, many people cannot tell if they have an irregular heartbeat (and should see a cardiologist).

However, an irregular heartbeat would be blindingly obvious to someone using a stethoscope. This is an example of a situation in which a wrist monitor might be suboptimal. Some medical clinics will not use wrist monitors when dealing with people who have an arrhythmia. Until recently, this was true of the clinic I patronize.

I have a wrist monitor that can detect an irregular heartbeat. This might be a feature to look for when buying a wrist monitor.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
I have a heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). ...In addition, many people cannot tell if they have an irregular heartbeat (and should see a cardiologist).

I have a wrist monitor that can detect an irregular heartbeat. This might be a feature to look for when buying a wrist monitor.
I, too, have an arrhythmia (asymptomatic Atrial Fibriallation) and find it quite difficult to find my own pulse... sometimes I can find it in the temple area.

The BP monitor I mentioned in the above Post (#8) specifically points out that it is designed for irregular heartbeat conditions. In fact, it points out that there is an arrythymia if the condition is present.

In any event, I take back my challenge -- this is clearly a YMMV issue and each individual should work out the answer with their own doctor (and, certainly, not take medical advice from an idiot unreliable person like me).
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I, too, have an arrhythmia (asymptomatic Atrial Fibriallation) and find it quite difficult to find my own pulse... sometimes I can find it in the temple area.

The BP monitor I mentioned in the above Post (#8) specifically points out that it is designed for irregular heartbeat conditions. In fact, it points out that there is an arrythymia if the condition is present.

In any event, I take back my challenge -- this is clearly a YMMV issue and each individual should work out the answer with their own doctor (and, certainly, not take medical advice from an idiot unreliable person like me).
Ron, just use a cheap stethoscope right over the left chest. People with AF have an apical pulse (as heard over the heart) and a peripheral pulse (neck, arm, etc.). The latter is seemingly slower because not all the apical beats make it to the arm in an audible way.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
...sphygmomanometer...
Easy for you to say...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote