Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exercise will affect your lipids and your glucose. The metformin is a good choice. Choosing carbs based on glycemic index is quite helpful too. My dad developed type 2 diabetes at 65 and found the book Glucose Revolution most helpful. He lost a fair amount of weight and maintained his fasting glucose at ~100 for the next 15 years without any trouble at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lots of helpful info..thanks..

I'm the OP.. it's interesting that the Metformin (500mg) is knocking about 20 points off my fasting reading.. had company last evening and I forgot to take the meds... glucose was 130 this morning, higher than the 110 it's been averaging. Also, exercising regularly by walking 2.5 miles a day minimum and going to the gym..just need to watch the carbs and I should be in good shape.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Lots of helpful info..thanks..

I'm the OP.. it's interesting that the Metformin (500mg) is knocking about 20 points off my fasting reading.. had company last evening and I forgot to take the meds... glucose was 130 this morning, higher than the 110 it's been averaging. Also, exercising regularly by walking 2.5 miles a day minimum and going to the gym..just need to watch the carbs and I should be in good shape.
500mg of Metformin is a low dosage (Max dosage 2250). If you continue with the weight loss, the low carb diet and the daily walks you will be able to eventually get off the medication. I did.

One of the side effect of metformin is urine protein leak (Proteinura). I am now on blood pressure medication not for elevated blood pressure but to protect the kidneys due to protein leak and hopefully reverse the leak. The levels have gone down considerably since I stopped metformin.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Dad died from diabeties, my brother is a serious diabetic and I was a pre-diabetic 6 years ago. It scared the hell out of me since I watched my Dad lose a leg and then have a stroke. So, I've given up all traditional sweets.....cake, pie, cookies etc, I look at the sugar content of every canned item I buy, I eat wheat pasta, bread and rice. I walk 15 to 18 miles a week on a treadmill at a brisk pace.....I have veggies and fruit every day, eat low cal protein like chicken and fish.....practive volume low cal foods like salad with fat free dressing......boy has my life changed....for the better. I'm down 55 lbs, averaged about 5 lb loss each year.....don't test as a pre diabetic and the the changes I made aren't a diet......they are intended to be life long....and I love the food I eat....don't miss sweets.....drink a glass of wine every so often and splurge once a week on pizza but without pepperoni, enjoying mushrooms instead. I have had one cold in 5 years....used to have a couple a year and feel really lucky to have such good health. So, I truly believe enjoying fresh rasberries instead of a doughnut at night has changed my life. I still take metformin.....Doc wants me to and I take vitamins and an aspirin each day.....I feel better than I did 15 years ago and love the way I eat and excercise.....sorry for preaching......I just feel that food choices and excercise is far most important that most people realize.....and want to share my good fortune with all.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
just started Pravastatin.. but the side effects of muscle pain/soreness are making me think about asking the Doc to evaluate the meds in my case.
Muscle pain is a solid indicator that you need to quit taking the statin. Personally I would (and did) stop taking the drug and let the doctor know why. I ended up being "statin intolerant." Your doctor will probably have you try a different one.