Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are experiencing illness symptoms, be aware low vitamin D can be caused by the illness rather than a cause of it. In such cases, supplementation will not help and can even be deleterious. Lyme disease and granulomatous disease can cause low D. Note also that vitamin D comes in several forms. It is possible to be low in 25D, the form tested most frequently, yet simultaneously high in 1,25D which is less frequently tested. This otherwise uncommon combination is often found with lyme disease.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In 2002, the "reference range" for fasting "Glucose, serum" was 65-109 mg/dL.

The "reference range" has been lowered to "65-99" since.

As for LDL 113, mine has been that for 3 physicals in the past 10 years. I don't think it is in the treatable range, but if you wanted statins my doc would prescribe them for you. I am not taking any meds myself based on advice of my internist.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
As for LDL 113, mine has been that for 3 physicals in the past 10 years. I don't think it is in the treatable range, but if you wanted statins my doc would prescribe them for you. I am not taking any meds myself based on advice of my internist.
And I'm not a doctor, but based on conversations with my doctors in the past and what I've read, my HDL is high enough that all my "ratios" are either favorable or ideal, and we decided the risk of medicating was greater than the risk of not medicating. But all individual situations (and doctors) are different, so check with your own (standard disclaimer) -- in my case there are no other known medical conditions or family history of heart troubles.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

FYI on home glucose meter testing: the number that matters is 2 hours post meal.

The point made above about margin of error is also important; two tests taken 1 minute apart with the same meter can vary 2-4% easily. Don't get obsessed about 1-2 mg/dl.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #25

Brewer - I understand your frustration but there is a significant liability issue about treating over the phone. It is highly preferable to see patients rather than treat and/or prescribe over the phone. Even some meds refills are tricky since we need kidney function, liver function test results for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I will be, but they would not do it over the phone (would not get paid that way, dontchaknow) and I simply cannot get in there for a couple more weeks.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #26

I recently had a blood test and the result showed kidney, creatinine was 1.6 and should have been under 1.4 and GFR was 44 and should have been over 60. the doctor said I was dehydrated. does anyone know what this means?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There are three separate considerations to me:

1 -- concern about the cost of the meds;

2 -- concern about the side effects of the meds;

3 -- concern about being diagnosed with something that makes me a higher risk if we have to apply for individual health insurance in the future.

In reality, the magnitude of my concerns here go (from greatest fear to lowest fear) #3, #2 and #1.
I think one needs also to be concerned about the long term effects of NOT dealing with a problem related to blood sugar or blood pressure, for example...
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

brewer12345 - I had almost those exact same numbers at my checkup about a year ago. My doc wanted my Vitamin D in the 60-70 range. We started at 2000IU per day and have retested a couple times and have found that for me it takes 4000IU per day to maintain that level. This of course is an individual thing, so all you can do is supplement and retest.

For my glucose which had hit the low 100s, I suspected my diet which was carb heavy and a fair amount of sweets too. I researched diet/lifestyle changes, and went on the South Beach Diet, and actually learned how to modify my eating for life - not just for a "diet" period. It's easy to follow after the initial couple phases and it dropped my glucose into the 80s within 5 months.

For my creeping LDL, my doc suggested a heart scan which actually did show a moderate amount of plaque, so we are treating that with a couple supplements. Had my heart scan score been zero, then he wouldn't have done anything about my LDL number.

Your condition at time of test can definitely skew the numbers, so I agree with what others have said about retesting. If it were me, I'd start getting some more Vit. D in me, get in to see the doc when I could, and maybe wait until things are a bit more relaxed.

Good luck to you!
Pete
Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Brewer - I understand your frustration but there is a significant liability issue about treating over the phone. It is highly preferable to see patients rather than treat and/or prescribe over the phone. Even some meds refills are tricky since we need kidney function, liver function test results for example.
I understand. Its hard to be told some random numbers are a little out of whack and not be given any context, especially when they wil not talk to you until you come in.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is precisely teh reason I will fight like a lion to avoid such a diagnosis.
Then don't get any more tests like this, and change your diet toward or to low-carb. It works for almost everyone.

Ha
Old 05-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psweath View Post
brewer12345 - I had almost those exact same numbers at my checkup about a year ago. My doc wanted my Vitamin D in the 60-70 range. We started at 2000IU per day and have retested a couple times and have found that for me it takes 4000IU per day to maintain that level. This of course is an individual thing, so all you can do is supplement and retest.

For my glucose which had hit the low 100s, I suspected my diet which was carb heavy and a fair amount of sweets too. I researched diet/lifestyle changes, and went on the South Beach Diet, and actually learned how to modify my eating for life - not just for a "diet" period. It's easy to follow after the initial couple phases and it dropped my glucose into the 80s within 5 months.

For my creeping LDL, my doc suggested a heart scan which actually did show a moderate amount of plaque, so we are treating that with a couple supplements. Had my heart scan score been zero, then he wouldn't have done anything about my LDL number.

Your condition at time of test can definitely skew the numbers, so I agree with what others have said about retesting. If it were me, I'd start getting some more Vit. D in me, get in to see the doc when I could, and maybe wait until things are a bit more relaxed.

Good luck to you!
Pete
After some time to think about it, I suspect that teh upshot of all of this is that I need to be more diligent about taking vitamins (esp vit D) and I need to stop indulging my sweet tooth. If the doctor starts talking about making an adverse diagnosis or statins, etc. I will suggest another blood test. My next visit will be a couple days after a week-long vacation.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you could do 1 of 3 things.

1) Ask more strangers on the internet until you get enough of the answers you were hoping for.

2) Start a 'Poll' on an internet forum to get statistical data to back up item 1.

3) Go see your Doctor to discuss the lab results as they pertain to your lifestyle, diet, and family history.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #33

I also got a recent blood test that showed low D. I am on 1 1000 unit D vitamin a day now. Doc said that a lot of people from the North East have it due to lack of sun.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post

1) Ask more strangers on the internet until you get enough of the answers you were hoping for.

2) Start a 'Poll' on an internet forum to get statistical data to back up item 1.

3) Go see your Doctor to discuss the lab results as they pertain to your lifestyle, diet, and family history.
4) Go be pointlessly obnoxious on the interwebs

- Will Rogers
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post

Best laugh of my day. Thanks jayc.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
3 -- concern about being diagnosed with something that makes me a higher risk if we have to apply for individual health insurance in the future.
My health insurance plan has a program whereby if you have certain chronic conditions, the co-pays are waived for visits related to that condition. It is supposedly designed to get people to follow a treatment and monitoring regimen before things get out of hand (and therefore more expensive). I recently received a letter from them saying, in essence, "Good news! You don't have any more co-pays for your chronic asthma and coronary artery disease." I'm sure it would be good news, except for the fact that I have no such conditions.

My concern was exactly the same as yours - what if I need individual health insurance or life insurance in the future and this is in my medical record? So I got on the phone pronto to straighten them out. Surprisingly, they were quite responsive, agreed it was a mistake and corrected it.

It brought home to me the fact that I need to be very vigilant about precisely what record is being amassed when I go to the doctor that might later be used against me. To this extent, at least, the doctor is serving the insurance company's interests, not mine. Indeed, I would not go for a checkup at all, except for the fact that the health plan will charge me an extra $1200 a year in premiums if I don't.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I got blood test results that had a few values outside the ideal ranges. Vit D was 21 vs. a usual range of 35 to 150. Fasting blood glucose was 101 vs. 79-99 range. LDLs were 113 vs. max of 100 for the ideal range.
When they drew blood I was exhausted after twoo weeks on the road and a very busy weekend catching up on chores in between.
Is this the correct interpretation?
Quote:
When the Dr. saw me that day he even said, "you look tired."
Given how exhaustion and stress affect almost everything about health, I would not be surprised in the slightest if the tests were affected.
Quote:
After some time to think about it, I suspect that teh upshot of all of this is that I need to be more diligent about taking vitamins (esp vit D) and I need to stop indulging my sweet tooth. If the doctor starts talking about making an adverse diagnosis or statins, etc. I will suggest another blood test. My next visit will be a couple days after a week-long vacation.
Ironically, at your altitude I think you get exposed to more UV radiation over there than I get exposed to over here.

When you stack up the quotes the diagnosis seems to resolve itself. Take 15 days minutes of surfing sunshine and talk to the doctor again.

See if you can find anyone in your neighborhood who knows anything about good beer... that might help too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If the doctor starts talking about making an adverse diagnosis or statins, etc. I will suggest another blood test. My next visit will be a couple days after a week-long vacation.
Before I was put on statins, my doc waited 3 months before doing the test again. In that time I did a lot of walking and tried to eat better. My LDL actually went up from 113 to 130. So he put me on one of the older drugs(Mevacor) and it corrected everything. The doc was even amazed at how perfect the ratios turned out.

I was also concerned how being on a statin would affect an individual health policy. When I had my over the phone interview with BCBS, the interviewer complimented my numbers and said just keep on doing what ever I was doing. She had the info on my statins, so I assume she saw it or maybe she was asleep at the wheel. But i was approved with standard rates for my age bracket. And they premiums have stayed in line for the six years I have had the plan.

Mevacor cost me 11 cents a day. Not a bad deal imo. Of course they may make me bat crazy in a few years. Some think they already have.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

I was also concerned how being on a statin would affect an individual health policy. When I had my over the phone interview with BCBS, the interviewer complimented my numbers and said just keep on doing what ever I was doing. She had the info on my statins, so I assume she saw it or maybe she was asleep at the wheel.
As long as the statin use was in your application. BCBS does have a way of letting you go, if you aren't truthful, only after you have a claim.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by psweath View Post
It also took me 20,000 IU a day for 60 days to raise my Vitamin D by about 20 points (started about 50). My doc also wanted me in the 70 range and recommends getting at least 4,000 IU's per day in one form or another. I haven't been good about supplementing lately so I'm sure I've gone back down to 45-50. Time to get it checked.