Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I also got a recent blood test that showed low D. I am on 1 1000 unit D vitamin a day now. Doc said that a lot of people from the North East have it due to lack of sun.
My guess is you will see no change in your Vit D with such a low level of supplementation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I recently had a blood test and the result showed kidney, creatinine was 1.6 and should have been under 1.4 and GFR was 44 and should have been over 60. the doctor said I was dehydrated. does anyone know what this means?
About 2 years ago, my 78 year-old mother had some terrible kidney numbers. They were so bad, her PCP was talking to her about dialysis (which she would never do). Apparently, her 2-part BP medication was causing a problem and coincidentally her Vit D level was incredibly low at 12. She changed her BP med and started taking the prescription Vit D pills, once a week, 50,000.

I think she's up in the 30's now but should get it higher. No more kidney issues.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
My guess is you will see no change in your Vit D with such a low level of supplementation.
+1, I agree with Buckeye. You may need to build up your stores first by taking higher dosages for a while before going on a maintenance level like 1000 units/day. I'd suggest consulting with your Dr.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1, I agree with Buckeye. You may need to build up your stores first by taking higher dosages for a while before going on a maintenance level like 1000 units/day. I'd suggest consulting with your Dr.

I get a fair amount of sun exposure, as I walk for an hour outside on most days (without wearing sunscreen).

Even with that sun exposure, my doc says that my blood tests indicate that I need 8000 units of Vit D3 daily. I now take Vit D3 5000 units one day and 10,000 units the next, alternating days.

Doc says the latest findings are that D3 (Cholecalciferol) is the critical portion of Vit D, so that's the kind I take. Also, they've found that K2 is required for the telomeres to take-up the Vit D3. So I take 50mcg of K2 daily.

I've noticed, while shopping at the health food store, that some manufacturers are now selling Vit D3 and K2 together in the same pill.

omni
Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
As long as the statin use was in your application. BCBS does have a way of letting you go, if you aren't truthful, only after you have a claim.
It was in my application. Plus it was in my prior records BC had as I was already a customer with them through my company's health plan. Everything was in their court when they approved me for the individual policy 6 years ago.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well, Brewer, did you meet with your Doc? Did he have anything to add suggest? Was he concerned about your "borderline" glucose number?

My husband routinely has fasting blood glucose around 101. It hasn't changed over the years. He is at an excellent weight and eats more healthy food than I! I notice that depending on the year, it is compared against 110, 100, or 118! Pretty random!

I just got back a great fasting glucose number, so while I may have many things to worry about, diabetes apparently is not one of them thank goodness (knock on wood!).
Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I met with the doc and he told me to lose some weight and clean up my diet. I have lost the weight (193, lowest I have been since probably 2008) and watch my diet, although I have relatively frequent backslides in part due to the strains of heavy business travel lately. I was supposed to meet with doc tomorrow to follow up, but it is the first day of school. Therefore I punted a couple weeks.

I think that I just need to quit my job and camp all the time. I routinely lose weight when we go camping since I usually eat very well (carbs are a PITA to achieve over the campfire) aside from a s'more a night, I generaly have heavy physical activity (several mile hike at 10,000+ foot elevations, firewood gathering, and a workout with a hatchet this weekend), and I sleep like a rock for way longer than I normally manage. Can I get a prescription for that?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Vitamin D, Glucose
Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vitamin D, Glucose

It's been estimated that as many as 1/3 of healthy individuals may in fact be deficient in vitamin D. Also, as we age, our skin loses the capacity for vitamin D production. Given the many benefits vitamin D can afford us, supplements aren't a bad idea. The question then becomes which form -- D2 or D3, and how much?

Since the 1930s, it was assumed that both were equivalent, however this view is changing in recent years. D3 is about 3x as potent as D2, and is, according to some sources, more bioavailable than D2 (D2 is the vegetable form, and not found or produced in the human body).

Vitamin D2 Is Much Less Effective than Vitamin D3 in Humans

Vitamin D3 Vs. Vitamin D | LIVESTRONG.COM

Vitamin D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Google: vitamin D2 vs D3

As to how much, sources vary on this as well. "Official" recommendations have been raised from 400IU to 600IU, and some experts think this is still not high enough, recommending 1000IU to 4000IU and higher.

Google: vitamin d how much

Borderline glucose levels: R-Lipoic Acid, in addition to being a powerful antioxidant, may lower blood glucose levels by helping the body utilize glucose.

Google: r lipoic acid glucose levels

Tyro
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

This just in: stress at work makes women more likely to get diabetes. One more reason to FIRE!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...s.html?cmp=rss
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Now past 65 - I live or die by blood tests. Wellness pep talks every month, my own website entry's and diet/exercise advice.

All kinds of stuff. A whole page worth.

heh heh heh - every 6 month's - I go again tomorrow.

My nemesis - HDL, sometimes vitamin D or iron.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This just in: stress at work makes women more likely to get diabetes. One more reason to FIRE!

Diabetes risk higher in women than men with no job control - Health - CBC News
Well, after a stressful day and the promise of more to come I came home with a migraine. Wonder what my blood chemistry looks like? Employment is killing me.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

cod liver oil solves most Vit D issues. It also contains Vit A (goes with D), EPA, and DHA. The fermented stuff is especially good.

Funny it doesn't contain as much Vit D as the synthetic pills but it seems to do the trick because it is far better absorbed.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/cod-liver-oil-basics

How many of you remember older relatives keeping a bottle in the cupboard?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva
cod liver oil solves most Vit D issues. It also contains Vit A (goes with D), EPA, and DHA. The fermented stuff is especially good.

Funny it doesn't contain as much Vit D as the synthetic pills but it seems to do the trick because it is far better absorbed.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-live...ver-oil-basics

How many of you remember older relatives keeping a bottle in the cupboard?
I tried to use it not too long ago after reading the benefits of it. It was nasty way worse than I could have imagined. Threw the bottle away after a week. Then again, I cant stand fish of any kind either. I will just have to take my chances with the Krill oil.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
cod liver oil solves most Vit D issues.
...Unless one is allergic to cod liver oil.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Employment is killing me.
Oooooohh. Don't say that. Your body might believe you and help you get there! Repeat to yourself, "I will quit working before my health is affected. I will quit working before my health is affected."