Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wish this thread would go away. It makes me feel bad about myself, every time I see it. I had the bod pod experience towards the beginning of January, and the results were less than pleasing. I am exercising more and eating more fruits and vegetables, but do not see any improvements yet. I am leaving on Friday for an 8 day cruise. Not good.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #62
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I just look at myself naked in the mirror. Of course, you've got to be objective about that animal staring back at you.

I think we all know where the fat is. We just want some reassurance that it's not true.
That is my method as well, although I did use calipers a few years back which showed about 14%. I don't think I'm quite at that level presently based on what the mirror is telling me. I suspect calipers can give you a reasonably accurate assessment provided you get someone to help who knows how to use them.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I just look at myself naked in the mirror. Of course, you've got to be objective about that animal staring back at you.

I think we all know where the fat is. We just want some reassurance that it's not true.
+1 I just ran BMI and BF online calculators out of curiosity. HFWR's chart seems better. Much easier to compare with that old guy in the mirror and make an accurate assessment.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I wish this thread would go away. It makes me feel bad about myself, every time I see it. I had the bod pod experience towards the beginning of January, and the results were less than pleasing. I am exercising more and eating more fruits and vegetables, but do not see any improvements yet. I am leaving on Friday for an 8 day cruise. Not good.
It takes time if you do it right. I lost about 15 lbs. over a period of maybe 6 months a few years ago and have kept it off (other than the 5 lbs. that crept on over the holidays, which I think are gone now). You can actually throw your body into "starvation mode" where it burns calories more slowly, if you amp up your exercise and severely cut back your caloric intake at the same time. I found the boards at myfitnesspal.com to be very helpful- a good mix of fitness freaks and healthy-living zealots (but with good advice) and normal people fighting the daily battle to lose weight.

I have to watch sugar. I LOVE sugar and had always figured that if I watched calories and took care of my teeth it wasn't a problem. Now they tell me that's one factor driving my high triglyceride levels. Spoilsports. I'm going to be more careful about my sugar consumption; you're supposed to stay under 8 teaspoons a day and I see that 2 calcium gummies is almost a teaspoon of that! Darn. When those run out I'll get something more sensible.

To answer the OP: my BMI is within normal and so is my body fat % (just measured by a calculator I found) but there's always room for improvement.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #65

Here's some helpful information to figure out your level of fitness:

9 Easy Fitness Tests to Tell If You're in Good Shape - Grandparents.com

A great definition of being in shape from the article:

Quote:
Health professionals across the board — from cardiologists to physiologists and trainers — have loosely the same definition of "being in good shape": the ability to do the things you enjoy doing without feeling limited.
Quote:
"The more fit you are, the less likely you are to have heart disease, cancer, all kinds of health-related issues. We have good data showing that even elderly people who start a fitness regimen do better health-wise," says Dr. Gulati, referring to a 2014 study published in JAMA which found that sedentary adults aged 70-89 who had trouble walking a quarter mile lowered their risk of physical disability by adding moderate exercise to their daily regimen.
See this if you don't have time to go to a gym and don't have gym equipment:

8 Best Equipment-Free Strength Exercises for Older Adults - US News
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It certainly doesn't taste like much.

I would prefer one pint of the good local craft beers to a case of the mass produced beers, lite or regular.

To get back on subject, Sugar is the #1 way I can put on weight fast. After that it is the highly processed carbs like white flour and rice, chips, pretzels, etc.

My mantra - Just Eat Real Food, preferably the food I or a loved one prepares from basic ingredients.

It's amazing how well adapted my body is to real food in a more natural state.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I would prefer one pint of the good local craft beers to a case of the mass produced beers, lite or regular.

To get back on subject, Sugar is the #1 way I can put on weight fast. After that it is the highly processed carbs like white flour and rice, chips, pretzels, etc.

My mantra - Just Eat Real Food, preferably the food I or a loved one prepares from basic ingredients.

It's amazing how well adapted my body is to real food in a more natural state.
Anyone notice the new guidelines from the USDA? Added sugar less than 10% of our daily calories. One 12 oz. Coke and a little ketchup and that's about all the sugar we're supposed to eat daily.

I'm with you on Real Food, I only eat food that someone in 1900 would recognize. All that processed crap led me and DW into obesity. While I used MFP for 200 days now, I lost more weight by just eating fruit, veggies, meat, and dairy.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'm with you on Real Food, I only eat food that someone in 1900 would recognize. All that processed crap led me and DW into obesity. While I used MFP for 200 days now, I lost more weight by just eating fruit, veggies, meat, and dairy.
Yes, it is amazing how the body returns to a more normal state when one eats real food.

Of course, this assumes one's body is behaving normally. Certain conditions fight even the best diets.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone notice the new guidelines from the USDA? Added sugar less than 10% of our daily calories. One 12 oz. Coke and a little ketchup and that's about all the sugar we're supposed to eat daily.
I always do diet Coke. Lately I've been alternating some water days with diet Coke at lunch. It probably won't hurt in moderation (fingers crossed).
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

We do not keep track of fat, only weight. Since retiring I have dropped 50 LBS down to my ideal weight. DW dropped about 15 to her ideal weight. We have never felt better and it has made our frequent travel much more comfortable. When I go 4 or 5 LBS over my target weight, as I did over Dec/Jan, I simply go on a diet to get back to my comfortable weight.

Doing it was simple. We just cut out the crap. No processed /fast foods, less fat/no butter etc, nothing fried. Less red meat. More fresh fruits and salads, no junk food. Less red wine and virtually no sugary drinks or diet drinks for that matter (the chemicals cannot be good) Only one downside...we had to buy new clothes.

My sister keeps getting bigger and bigger. And she seems to get more health issues every day. My sense is she is eating herself into poor health and an early grave. I hope that I am wrong.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I read a very interesting blog post this morning that posits a new possibility that differs from both the standard all calories are equal and the carbs are the whole culprit hypotheses concerning the obesity epidemic. The post by Dr. Michael R Eades points the finger at high PUFA vegetable oils and is quite an interesting read. His hypothesis fits with my 4+ year N=1 dietary experiment. Worth a read for both people who like Taubes and people who think he is way off base. "The take home message from all this is to work hard to avoid vegetable oils in any part of your low-carb diet".
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

This study correlates well with my experience and the diet/fitness advice I gave earlier.

A Diet and Exercise Plan to Lose Weight and Gain Muscle

For most of us, losing weight and keeping it off is difficult. If you consume fewer calories than your body requires for daily operations, it turns to internal sources of fuel. Those sources consist of body fat and lean tissue, meaning muscle. When someone on a diet drops a pound of body mass (a measure that does not include water), much of that pound consists of fat. But about a third or more can be made up of muscle.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...n-muscle/?_r=0
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I do not eat much bread, cake, pasta, or starchy vegetables.

The only oil we use is olive oil.

When I diet I essentially cut out ALL fats and oils, all carbs, and most vegetables. I eat fresh fruit, salad (with balsamic vinegar only), lean meat, fish. No breads, no dairy. The LBS melt away. We never use any of those fatty, chemical laden commercial salad dressings..yuk.

After switching over to a much healthier diet we can now really taste if chemicals have been added to food....one of the many reasons why we do not bother with processed food.

When we travel in the US we are often amazed at how large the portions are. Any many times the plate is filled to overflowing with fries. Often we simply split a meal. It seems the focus in many US restaurants is on quantity rather than quality.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #74

From Gallup:

Half of Overweight in U.S. Not Seriously Trying to Lose Weight

and

Fewer Americans Say They Want to Lose Weight
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been holding steady at 185 lbs (down from 240 pre-FIRE) for months now...and BF% has been dropping steadily...14, 13, 12, and now sitting at 11%. Which means I'm LOSING fat and GAINING muscle. Now, I do try and eat around 150 grams of protein daily combined with a dedicated weight training program. DW is truly flabbergasted at what I've accomplished...she as always managed to maintain a good baseline fitness level God bless her.

I have before and after pictures which show the transformation...it does boggle the mind.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #76

Body Fat Percentage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I've been holding steady at 185 lbs (down from 240 pre-FIRE) for months now...and BF% has been dropping steadily...14, 13, 12, and now sitting at 11%. Which means I'm LOSING fat and GAINING muscle. Now, I do try and eat around 150 grams of protein daily combined with a dedicated weight training program. DW is truly flabbergasted at what I've accomplished...she as always managed to maintain a good baseline fitness level God bless her.

I have before and after pictures which show the transformation...it does boggle the mind.

Excellent. This proves it can be done.

I am trying to do something similar this year but will need to increase muscles quite a bit (otherwise I will be too skinny at a low body fat).

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1454616552.825649.jpg
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I wish this thread would go away. It makes me feel bad about myself, every time I see it.
Don't feel bad. Some of these posters obviously aren't drinking enough beer.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
All about numbers, one Bud Light is only 110 calories. Doesn't sound like much? Only 110 extra calories per day is good for 11.5 pounds in a year!

Yes but also consider that every regular 3.25" apple you eat is 116 calories. So that beer is a better choice, from a calories point of view. Don't even want to talk about that latte/mocha/fancy coffee drink that I see so many people drinking every day.
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I do not eat much bread, cake, pasta, or starchy vegetables.

The only oil we use is olive oil.

When I diet I essentially cut out ALL fats and oils, all carbs, and most vegetables. I eat fresh fruit, salad (with balsamic vinegar only), lean meat, fish. No breads, no dairy. The LBS melt away. We never use any of those fatty, chemical laden commercial salad dressings..yuk.

After switching over to a much healthier diet we can now really taste if chemicals have been added to food....one of the many reasons why we do not bother with processed food.

When we travel in the US we are often amazed at how large the portions are. Any many times the plate is filled to overflowing with fries. Often we simply split a meal. It seems the focus in many US restaurants is on quantity rather than quality.

Careful with eliminating all fats. You could become deficient in fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids... See "rabbit starvation".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

While doc's office does the BMI thing, I note that the BMI inludes the weight of shoes and clothing at the time. Roughly 3lb extra in the winter thus not matching the 172 to 175 range butt naked on the Y's balance scale.

For measurement I prefer my 34" waist collection of trousers. For the last 20 years it has been steady for the most part. When it takes a bit of effort to button, note is taken and I cut back on the consumption of various cookies DW bakes and uses to tempt me.