Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on the bone density from weight lifting. I have a friend who when in his late 40s broke his hip in a bike accident. He made a quick and complete recovery and almost a decade later is stronger than ever, and the doctor commented that a lot of it was due to his very high bone density.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a living room exerciser. Not every day but enough to keep it all toned.

My arsenal...

http://smile.amazon.com/Sunny-Health...esistance+band

and

http://smile.amazon.com/Black-Mounta...esistance+band

Mine is the purple 45-50 lbs.

and

Amazon.com : Altus Athletic 65cm 600-Pound Body Ball with DVD (Pearl) : Exercise Balls : Sports & Outdoors

Old 01-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How could the doctor tell? My orthopedist said it's impossible to tell bone density from X-rays. He said a DEXA scan is necessary. Men rarely get those...

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
+1 on the bone density from weight lifting. I have a friend who when in his late 40s broke his hip in a bike accident. He made a quick and complete recovery and almost a decade later is stronger than ever, and the doctor commented that a lot of it was due to his very high bone density.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments! You all inspire me on multiple fronts: much more attention to diet and portion size, more vigorous aerobic stuff, and consistency with the weight training.

With respect to Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym," and Leonidas's comments, the book is not only clear about the need for proper form but is supported by a superb free app (for both Apple devices and Android) that has workouts ranging from basic to very advanced and links to careful reviews of form for each exercise. Given his background - THE training program designer for Navy SEALS - it's well worth looking at, IMHO. My conclusion though after working with it regularly for a few months is that it's probably much easier to transition to for those already used to using free weights properly (i.e. with good instruction from a trainer and a few years of use), not only because of the importance of precise form but also because starting off with your full bodyweight as your only resistance training option is so hard for many exercises that it could cause all but the most motivated folks to quit.

Thanks again for all the great sharing of hard-won wisdom from experience. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

The CDC has some good (FREE) resources especially for those just starting out.

The top Physical Activity page is at: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...nes/index.html

Some good body weight videos are at: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...eos/index.html

Resistance training beginners should also check out: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...ger/index.html

I certainly don't always achieve it. However, I think we need to regularly work on Aerobic, Resistance, Flexibility, and Balance training. A healthy diet (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/) is also very important.