Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Had an implant on 31 (rear molar) about 5 years ago. Ran about $7K but I had a high end final zirconia restoration placed because I am a bruxer. An issue involved in the tooth failing to begin with. It was a difficult extraction due to fractures.

I preferred the conservative approach; extraction, bone graft, 4-5 months of healing, placement of the abutment, more healing with a healing abutment, and then final restoration at about 9 months. The thing is rock solid now, good integration, good esthetics and no problems.

By the way - a "flipper" is a just a removable partial denture made of acrylic that usually wraps around other teeth for stability.

"Friendships must be built upon a solid foundation of alcohol, sarcasm, inappropriateness, and shenanigans"
- Anonymous

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I had bone graft surgery prior to having two molar implants. Everything went extremely well. The total bill went extreme as well. Ran about $11k for all in. Have to say though I am very happy with the results

Bailed at 60 on 4/1/16. It's all good!
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
The bone that supported my #2 tooth cracked and was infected. The only way to get support for an implant is do bone graft. Three months after the implant was put in, the supporting bone cracked again. Maybe the bone graft did not cure? My dentist took the implant out, re-did the bone graft and redid the whole implant and crown.

My dentist did not charge me for the second implant effort. I did not ask his after-sale support period. What happens if the implant failed after 3 years, do I get a cost-free fix for that?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
5 molar implants for me. At least 2 with bone graphs. All work with Novocain only. Cost 3000-3500 each with the crown, about 7 years ago. Lost the teeth to root cavities. Graph was no big deal. Make sure to keep implants clean thereafter as the gum line is susceptible to pockets and there is a condition called implantitis. Implants are a great and to me fairly painless solution if you can swing the cost.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Umm, yeah, I can't imagine the implant surgery without anaesthetic!
I wonder what you mean by 'anaesthetic'? I can't imagine doing it with a traditional anaesthetic as all of the dentists I have encountered in the last 20 years are so slick that I have felt virtually nothing while they worked. I have always been very impressed. In fact, thinking about it I would say that it goes back more like 40 years as my wisdom teeth extractions were completely painless as well. I tell the guys now that if it weren't for the memories of early childhood experiences in the 60's I wouldn't even give going to the dentist a second thought. Our children have no reservations about seeing the dentist.

Anaesthesia for me would add expense and risk for little/no benefit though I know that others don't feel the same way.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Bone graft before dental implant?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bone graft before dental implant?

I guess different people have different pain tolerances. My dentists in the 1960s used the old slow drill and no pain meds. It was agonizing. I always ended up with a tensed back and shoulders and white knuckles. Getting anaesthetic for a filling for the first time at age 22 was a game-changer. I did have one abscessed wisdom tooth removed in Budapest and they didn't use enough anaesthetic. I didn't stop to ask for more because I just wanted to get back out on the street sightseeing with DH. It was pretty awful, although she did a good job and I healed quickly.

So.. .. When they want to hack out two badly-infected teeth that have been root-canalled (which practically fuses them to the jawbone) and then screw in little titanium plates- yeah, knock me out, please!

Our dentist does have one patient who gets everything done without anaesthetic. We cannot relate!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
Oh yes - no freezing is way out there!

Yes, you nicely summed up my memories of the dentist in the 60s. Those deadly slow speed drills with the drive belts on the outside. I remember freezing but no ASA/Advil or Tylenol premed to be sure. But even with the freezing the vibration of the drill was crazy and the heat generated didn't seemed to be blocked. There were no pre-numbing agents used prior to needle insertion for freezing and the agents used had very irritating pHs. And of course they were probably using 18G needles rather than today's 26G or 27G needles.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #28
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Have had one success and one that is still being worked on. Major problem. Never had general. Just local. Don't spare the cost. A failure can be very impactful on your life.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #29
Had two implants in the last two years with bone grafts done at extractions both with Novocaine at a cost of $5000 each with an additional $1300 for the crown.

Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote