Bone marrow donation

Khan,

I hate to ask a personal question, but are you over 60 yet? The reason I ask is that I have been on a donor registry for a number of years. I always got a yearly letter asking for info updates, until last year when I turned 60. They seem to have dropped me off the list. I can't believe my bone marrow is no longer acceptable now that I am 60, but I did see on info you posted on your earlier thread that you have to be under 60 to be a donor.

Just wondering.... I am so glad you are doing this for someone. I lost a good friend several years ago with cancer who could not find an exact matching donor. She did have a bone marrow transplant from a donor who wasn't the best possible match and it didn't work.

I'll be 60 in September. Don't know what shall come of physical exam.

I also want to add that this is a great thing you are doing . My older brother was a heart recipient and it enabled him to live several extra years .

As I stated in my earlier post, I lost a friend with cancer who could not find a perfect match. She had four brothers and sisters and none were good matches. She was a third generation american of Irish descent. I could not believe that none of her siblings where perfect matches and that of the extensive Irish community in the US there was not a perfect match. But I will always be grateful that one "stranger" in the Boston area did answer the call and give her the best morrow match they could find.

I was already on the Bone Morrow Donor List when my friend needed a donor. Unfortunately my Heinz 57 DNA didn't match.

I wish I lived close enough to drive you.

Khan, bless you. You are a saint. Wish I lived in Ohio, I'd be there for you.

We're going to a benefit for a young woman who is three weeks post-transplant with bone marrow from a 55 year old Canadian man. The young woman's family is flying the Canadian flag in his honor.

She called back. Next step is an on line health questionnaire and then another blood sample.
I'm leaning towards the marrow extraction rather than the apheresis. It is done under general anesthetic. I've never been under general. It's an outpatient procedure less than 20 miles away. The cat will be all right by himself for a day or so.
Assuming I am finally accepted, I'll have to find someone to give me a ride back.

Khan,

If you can't find anyone else, let me know and I will do my very best to come to Ohio and give you a ride back to your house.

I'm on the donor registry also and have never been called. This would be the next best thing.

2Cor521

I 'passed' the online questionnaire. I'm approved for extraction method.
Next is a blood draw on Wednesday. I've canceled my scheduled blood donation.
Then up to 8 week wait for results.

The guy at the lab drew out 8 vials, said it was about 80 ml. Now to wait.

I talked to a neighbor and think a ride is secured.

Glad to hear you have a ride.

I know it's a little weird to have someone from Idaho offer to fly to Ohio to give you a ride home, but I feel very strongly about helping out when I can, and it would have been an absolute privilege to help you help someone have a chance at life. I know you don't know me, but I assure you I am a decent guy and my intentions were perfectly honorable. (Well, not quite, I was hoping for some good karma from the universe in return.)

2Cor521

Well done Khan. This is a very wonderful thing you're doing.

I realize I might never get to the actual donation.

Data point: I couldn't have donated marrow while w*rking, as I was much too fat.

Glad to see that you are moving on in the process. I was accepted as a donor in 2001 and went through the same process. They will likely have a couple more blood samples required. It keeps you in limbo, you are anxious to donate then afraid that you wont be a match. If you are a close match and accepted you will likely have to donate two units of blood for them to transfuse back to you at donation time.
The donation was really no big deal. The anistethic had no after affects except sleepy. Minor pain like if you pulled your back muscles getting out of bed for a couple days. Jogging again after three days, key to recovery is to stay active with a little discomfort.
It was a good experience and even though my recipient didnt make it, was a good feeling knowing that you have a chance to literally save ones life. Well worth the experience and reward, good luck, hope you are selected, I consider it a priviledge.

Glad to see that you are moving on in the process. I was accepted as a donor in 2001 and went through the same process. They will likely have a couple more blood samples required. It keeps you in limbo, you are anxious to donate then afraid that you wont be a match. If you are a close match and accepted you will likely have to donate two units of blood for them to transfuse back to you at donation time.
The donation was really no big deal. The anistethic had no after affects except sleepy. Minor pain like if you pulled your back muscles getting out of bed for a couple days. Jogging again after three days, key to recovery is to stay active with a little discomfort.
It was a good experience and even though my recipient didnt make it, was a good feeling knowing that you have a chance to literally save ones life. Well worth the experience and reward, good luck, hope you are selected, I consider it a priviledge.

Thank you very much for an actual experience.

I'm glad to read an actual donor experience-- up to now the image stuck in my brain has been Dolph Lundgren's alien intoning "I come in peace..."

I haven't been able to give blood in over a decade because the screening criteria have been changed to defer anyone who's lived in most of Europe in the 1980s (any possibility of vCJD). Does anyone know if there are similar deferment issues with bone marrow donation?

Guess I'll call our local registry.

I'm in the registry and was once asked for an additional sample, but apparently did not pass the more specific matching.

I worked with a lady who did donate. She didn't know much about the recipient but later found out it was a baby. Apparently the baby did survive. She said she would do it again in a heartbeat.

I haven't been able to give blood in over a decade because the screening criteria have been changed to defer anyone who's lived in most of Europe in the 1980s (any possibility of vCJD). Does anyone know if there are similar deferment issues with bone marrow donation?

Guess I'll call our local registry.

I'm in the same situation. After they told me my blood wasn't good enough, they kept on calling me for a while. :confused: But the same exclusion criteria would apply to bone marrow. It's where many blood cells are made.

It's weird, it bothers me that I can't give blood next week.

It's weird, it bothers me that I can't give blood next week.

Don't worry Khan, that's because you are now officially a VIP!

Possible glitch: neighbor and family out of town from 22 July to August 1.

Last edited:
Possible glitch: neighbor and family out of town from 2 July to August 1.

Bummer. Do you think you'll need to make the trip for the bone marrow donation during this time?

Bummer. Do you think you'll need to make the trip for the bone marrow donation during this time?

From the possible schedule I was given, donation probably will be after 1 August. Just something I have to consider.

Something weird: housekeeper asked why I would want to something like that (it's painful). I didn't really have a response.

Back
Top Bottom