Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back to discussing wheat.

In my three years in Asia I've gone long periods with no or only token amounts of wheat. Benefits: 1) Far less gas (though that could be from also giving up cheese), 2) Hypoglycemic drowsy-alert cycles all but disappeared (though that could be from not having a j*b which required most of my brain most of the time).

When I've lived places with good european style bread and German deli I've gone on binges where I eat a sandwich a day. The gas and drowsy-alert cycles reappear. My pollen allergies also increase, which is enough to make my binges short and infrequent.

Wheat free muesli is available where I live so I can get my B vitamins without relying entirely on Vegemite on rye crackers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Geez. Do you think he could've made his point - that you're a lazy slob who eats too much - without dissing women?
He didn't. You couldn't possibly know what it means for a man to be called a wimp, pussy, girly-mon, girl, woman etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
He didn't. You couldn't possibly know what it means for a man to be called a wimp, pussy, girly-mon, girl, woman etc.
In other words...it is not making women appear less than they are but are making men feel less than what they are. There is a difference. I for one don't appreciate the whole attitude thing with the blog and after seeing this thread see it is nothing but a marking scam so that turns me off even more to even looking at the original blog. I have a short fuse when it come to being manipulated by marketing pukes so this one goes down as just such crap for me.

BTW, if men feel the need to emasculate other men to try to make a point to sell their wares or idea I think they are the ones with the emasculation issue and are trying to compensate by trying to label others who are more man-like than themselves as effeminate as a way to compensate for their own lack of masculinity. Ok, enough psyco-drivel. The short of is is I detest BS and this one is full of it.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Given his strong convictions about manhood, I expected Dr. Sekula to have the physique of a Greek demigod. Ladies and gents, I give you Dr. Sekula:

So I ask myself, what is the guy selling?

Turns out, DR. Sekula has been recognized as a fitness business owner who has achieved "extraordinary results in the areas of marketing, sales, business management, publicity, public speaking, and more!"
I look pretty close to this guy body wise (maybe slightly slimmer) and i eat .. well almost anything. Wheat, wheat beer, wheat berry bread, shredded wheat, cream of wheat, wheat grass, wheat thins, deep fried guinea pigs, fried chicken and waffles, tofu, yogurt, red wine, cruciform vegetables, salmon, orange juice, spinach, and all the other nutritional saviors from days gone by.

I get the occasional chuckle from these nutritional savants (sekula and doctor wheat belly) . They all rotate out for someone else a few years down the road. They just seem silly to me. Sorry, if this guy is someone's guru du jour, just my snarky two cents worth.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Well this thread has gone to He!! in a handbasket.

For those who are actually interested in nutrition, the INFORMATION in the book "Wheat Belly", by Dr WILLIAM DAVIS is good to know.

Also, Dr Davis is not a clown, but a reputable cardiologist has been using effective treatment protocols to help thousands of patients for many years. Those of you with diabetes, high blood sugar, high blood pressure or weight issues should give it a read.
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #46
gone traveling

I certainly don't care for Sekula's communication tactics at all, but I think the recommendation for Dr Davis is a good one.

And MH, some of us that may not be fortunate enough to have your metabolism, and are struggling with health issues do not presumptively dismiss these so called nutritional savants as you term them. There have been several recommendations for experts in the field of nutrition on this sub-forum that I have learned from and do not consider quackery.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm reluctant to give any of these bloggers "guru" status; you have to separate the wheat from the chaff, pun intended.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote