Join Early Retirement Today

Boomers Delusional/Clueless About Health
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boomers Delusional/Clueless About Health

It's human nature to think that one's own cohort is the best. When asked who was the healthiest, Baby Boomers, Generation Xers, and Millenials all felt that their generation was the healthiest.

But many articles indicate that Boomers are less healthy than their parents, thanks to obesity, hypertension, diabetes (although they will be the longest-lived generation in spite of these problems---it's more the quality of life):

Baby Boomers: Not the ‘Healthiest Generation’ | TIME.com

What really took me aback is that Boomers define being healthy as going to the doctor! And they were only half as likely as younger generations to think that being healthy means eating healthy foods or exercising (only 12% of Boomers feel that diet or physical activity is important; they feel that doctor's visits equals health!).

HARTFORD, Conn.: Baby Boomers, Gen X, Millennials define being healthy differently | Health & Wellness | NewsObserver.com

Is it really possible that only a little over 10% of Boomers think that diet and exercise is important for health?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe there is much validity with small sample studies, especially those run by an insurance company such as the Aetna one. Especially since the article said this:

"The Hartford-based health insurance company is in the midst of a major marketing campaign aimed at health awareness and individuality as it tries to sell people individual health insurance plans."

Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A lot would depend on how the questions were asked.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It could be an evolution of generational thought revealing itself. I'm 60. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc., did not like to go to the Dr., and actually avoided it. My generation has seemingly spent a lot of words on the generation before us imploring them to go to the Doctor. So I can see where my boomer peers would think going to the Dr. is doing the healthy thing, in comparison.

Additionally, the medical industry is as effective as the food industry in marketing to boomers, the original TV generation. By the poll results, I'm hoping the younger generations have figured out the scams of the medical and food corporate marketers.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Well, I'm a boomer, and I can tell you that a fair number of my boomer friends do believe that seeing a doctor on a frequent basis (and taking whatever meds they prescribe) will keep them healthy in their golden years, regardless of their lifestyle. And some of these folks (not all) have pretty unhealthy lifestyles.......little exercise, and lots of room for improvement in their diet as well. Now, I have nothing against doctors or regular doctor visits, but if you don't take care of yourself, no doctor is going to magically restore your health when it declines. I lean toward more exercise, eating a healthy diet, monitoring my own blood pressure, etc........combined with infrequent doctor visits for things like my annual blood test, or when I have a specific problem.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boomer blah blah blah...

We're healthy as horses. We spend more money on miracle pills, miracle foods, miracle diets, and miracle drugs, not to mention thigh masters, tread climbers, blowflexes, and botoxins than any previous generation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

70 is the new 50!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

Boomers living 2-3yrs longer with "greater burden of chronic disease & more disability"? Sure does not sound like a good trade off to me
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote