Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's see... Second hand smoke growing up with a smoking parent who dragged me along to the bowling alley weekly. Living in Los Angeles in the 50s and 60s, with leaded gas, freeway diesel particulates, the school gardener spraying herbicides outside the open classroom windows for 12 yrs of public school and the drinking fountain that you had to sneak up on to get a drink it smelled of rotten chemicals. Chem labs with exploding beakers and bio labs with various things to disinfect lab tables with no gloves, the lead recycling plant a mile away in Industry, the styrene leak that plumed out over the neighborhood about which the fire dept said no worries (looked it up in my organic chem text and was very worried), uh... and that's just off the top of my head. Am I worried about the Basil Hayden and bitters that I had last night?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why on earth would anyone want to extend one's life if there's no drinking?!?!

You might live longer but why would you want to?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Truth now....
What do you know about prohibition? Did you know that the sale or distribution of alcohol was Constitutionally illegal in the United States from 1920 to 1933?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Prohibit..._United_States

And who has heard of Carrie Nation?
My grandfather was a bootlegger; also ran a speakeasy. Made a lot of money. They would make the stuff on an island in the harbor and bring it in by boat at night; remnants still out there.

His house (now ours) still has a secret room for hiding the hooch. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it. Actually almost every house on our street has such hiding rooms.

I still have his old hygrometer for determining alcohol level; makes a nice party starter.

I think she went by Carrie A. Nation; read all about her years ago; even now, still a good story.

(Note I've used the word "still" in every paragragh)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Truth now....
What do you know about prohibition? Did you know that the sale or distribution of alcohol was Constitutionally illegal in the United States from 1920 to 1933?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Prohibit..._United_States

And who has heard of Carrie Nation?
IIRC, prohibition was a boon to organized crime that made a fortune selling illegal booze. Not so good.

True confession time: my grandmother made wine in her cellar for friends and family during prohibition.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #25

I w*rked in underground coal mines for 35 years, my "risk" was higher than an office dweller. I'm gonna die of something, might as well be food/drink related.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Alcohol is bad and cannibis is good for me. Who knew?
I knew!
Beststash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What do you know about prohibition?
Ah - the Volstead Act made many Norwegians proud of what we could achieve in the world. Unfortunately the prohibition enabled smugglers and bootleggers to flourish in both our countries.

I wonder if we are repeating this with the war on drugs.
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #28

The only reason I drink is to dull the frustration I get from typing on this d@mn windows computer.

Imagine my surprise when I learned the study was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

She was the nut who wanted prohibition as I recall. It was a giant failure and just turned drinking into business for the mob.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
When the meteor hits, it won't matter how many drinks you had. "A team of Ukrainian astronomers have discovered a massive asteroid, 2013 TV135, that’s on track to hit earth Aug. 26, 2032, Russian news agency Ria Novosti reports.
Wow, REWahoo was right!

This calls for a drink. Maybe several.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My grandfather was a bootlegger; also ran a speakeasy.
Mine too!
He ran a speakeasy in an out of the way part of Brooklyn, getting supplied by cigarette boats that took cases of booze from freighters outside the three mile limit and brought them in to shore. The booze came from (or often through) Canada, specifically Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

As a result, my Irish grandfather was on very good terms with a lot of Mafia types, and he told me the slightly famous gangster Bugsy Siegel once worked as a bouncer in his speakeasy.

When I was very young I thought it was kind of odd that a very Irish guy like my GF had so many Italian friends, and could get almost anything done politically. As I got older, I became much closer to him and he explained his background. What a fascinating era he lived through!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
When the meteor hits, it won't matter how many drinks you had. "A team of Ukrainian astronomers have discovered a massive asteroid, 2013 TV135, that’s on track to hit earth Aug. 26, 2032, Russian news agency Ria Novosti reports. The discovery was confirmed by five other astronomy groups in Italy, the U.K., Spain and Russia’s Siberian republic of Buryatia. Scientists Discover Giant Asteroid That Could Hit Earth in 2032 | TIME.com

Will this be before or after SS runs out of money? It may impact my SS decision.

As to these studies... I wonder sometimes if the motivation is "most studies day X, so we need to come with something that says Y, in order to get attention". Of course, I might be influenced by seeing the movie "Sleeper" at a young age.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
I knew!
+1

Me too.[emoji111]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #34

The good ol' boys in the south weren't the only booze runners. My grandfather saved their small family farm in North Dakota during the great depression and dust bowl, making frequent trips to Canada and hauling back a truckload of whiskey.

I'm sipping some Maker's in his honor.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I don't drink because:

1.) Alcoholism in the family
2.) Overweight and it makes me gain weight
3.) I don't like the taste
4.) It's expensive
5.) I prefer being fully aware through my thoughts and mental processes, instead of being so drunk or high that I can't even think rationally.

But still, I drank a glass of wine now and then due to peer pressure, until, around age 50, I was able to just cast peer pressure aside and quit drinking for good.

You have NO IDEA how hard it is these days, to meet someone of the opposite sex who doesn't drink and yet isn't either a reforming alcoholic or a religious zealot. But Frank is neither of these, and I'm not either. We both feel lucky that we found each other.

As for prohibition, I have mixed feelings. We have both known so many lives and families that were ruined by alcoholism. But as a non-drinker, I feel like I can already do what I want (not drink), and who am I to tell drinkers that they can't do what they want (drink). To tell them they can't drink, assumes that drinking absolutely must lead to unemployment, domestic violence, liver problems, and other awful outcomes that sometimes are associated with drinking. But plenty of people drink without any of these bad outcomes. All in all, it's all just too confusing so I just don't have an opinion except that personally, for me, alcohol is not part of the way I want to live my life.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

My doc told me I could have 1 beer every 2 days. I have no clue how she came up with that number. Next time I see her I'm going to lobby for 1 beer a day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My doc told me I could have 1 beer every 2 days. I have no clue how she came up with that number. Next time I see her I'm going to lobby for 1 beer a day.
I told my doctor I had bad headaches after only 1 or 2 beers. He said, "Have you thought about giving up drinking?" I said, "No".
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think you should go in with a higher number and compromise back a bit. Say 4 per day and see if you can get the doc to agree to 2?

Then ask if you can save up the days you are alloted 2 beers, and don't use them, and use them later or together.

Makes sense to me.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I think you should go in with a higher number and compromise back a bit. Say 4 per day and see if you can get the doc to agree to 2?

Then ask if you can save up the days you are alloted 2 beers, and don't use them, and use them later or together.

Makes sense to me.
I like your advice! I'm already using the stockpiling option - if I go beer free for 8 days, that means I can have 4 beers in a single day. It's simple math.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
What you need is a bigger glass. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/German-Style-.../dp/B002STPP5Q
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote