Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i tried st johns wort and was amazed at how effective it seems. but then i read that there is eye danger when combining the wort with sunlight and as i live in florida i decided it wasn't worth the risk. so now when i'm down i just ride it out, knowing that this too shall pass. and in knowing that i can often control to a great extend the duration & extent of the depression.
Google SAM-E. Been used in Europe for a looong time..

DW and I have been taking it for years now and it really does help both Arthritis and tough to describe but it just makes you less prone to the occasional sad day here and there. DW finds it helps lots when her "friend" comes to visit. She was never really moody but I usually had a good idea, know I really don't until I try to visit

Good Luck.

wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Brain says to spine 'heal thyself': study - Yahoo! News

by Marlowe Hood 2 hours, 4 minutes ago PARIS (AFP) - Tiny nerves crisscrossing the spine can bypass crippling injuries recently written off as irreversible, scientists reported in a study published Monday.

Experiments conducted on mice at the University of California in Los Angeles showed for the first time that the central nervous system can rewire itself to create small neural pathways between the brain and the nerve cells that control movement.
i fortunately never had the misfortune to crush my spine, but i did blow out two discs in a pretty bad construction accident in the 1980s. at the time and for a while thereafter i walked with a significant limp and i could not run at all. i had no idea why.

i went to five different doctors and all sorts of therapy. finally i wound up with the head of neurology at the university of miami. he hooked up a bunch of electodes from pins in my body to a loud speaker and let me listen to my nerves working as my brain commanded different body parts to move. i found it amazing.

after dealing with so much, finally someone could show me why i was limping. i had no idea. but it was so simple. i could not lift myself up on the toes of my right foot. the ruptured disc damaged the nerves so that my brain could not tell that group of muscles what to do.

upon learning this, i was able to concentrate on the mechanism of lift. i'd lift myself up with ease onto the toes of my left foot. and then i'd try to no avail on my right. i did this for hours every day until finally i got lift. it was unbelievable. over time it strenthened. my limp disappeared and i was able to run again. i have not had that problem since.

this is the power of the brain. it amazes me still.

"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote