Join Early Retirement Today

Brain Fog - DW had one today .. scary memory lapse
Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brain Fog - DW had one today .. scary memory lapse

I've never experienced this before, but DW forgot everything that happened last night and this morning.

She was talking to a niece last night on the internet from Australia, she forgot the conversation. She had to call her again this afternoon and she told the same story.

She forgot where she placed her hand bag and wallet this morning and it took us one hour to find it - she hid it somewhere. We were suppose to go grocery and this delayed us

She forgot 3X that I already had breakfast today. She asked me 3X.

She said it seems like she was sleepwalking thru the whole time and she felt everything was hazy.

Searched the internet and says it could be caused by stress, fatigue, etc. Will have to go to the Doc. It's kinda scary.

Don't want to think it is Alzheimer's.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

cyber888 -- pls call you doctor and see what your doctor advises. If you have a nurse line or teledoc with your insurance call them. could be several different things.

cynicalbuthopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get a diagnosis. Sometimes the progression can be slowed down with medication. It could be stress, fatigue, as you mentioned or something as simple as a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

DW and her sister are helping their other older sister with this. The older sister is only 67. MRI shows some brain shrinkage. Still don't have a diagnosis -- it takes some time.

Best wishes.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

cyber888- it sounds like it could be a TIA ("mini-stroke") that can last from a few minutes up to 24 hours. They are a warning sign that a more serious stroke might be on the horizon. Please have your DW checked out ASAP, hopefully she gets good news.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

I agree with Mike, this sounds like something acute, - ie, an immediate visit to the ER. I wouldn't be waiting for a doctor's appointment or assuming anything about what it might be. Reacting now, even it if means overreacting, might help avoid a 2nd episode.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
cyber888- it sounds like it could be a TIA ("mini-stroke") that can last from a few minutes up to 24 hours. They are a warning sign that a more serious stroke might be on the horizon. Please have your DW checked out ASAP, hopefully she gets good news.
+1

My DM suffered from several of these. See a doctor immediately for a brain scan. TIAs will show in a scan, and you will know if your DW has had more than one (there are not always obvious symptoms).
Old 09-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Had she taken a nap before the brain fog episode?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #8

I think someone on this site or one of their family members had the same memory loss but I don't remember the cause. I tried searching for "temporary memory loss and memory loss" but can't find the thread.

Just googled temporary memory loss and came up with "transient global amnesia", and that's what the thread on this site was about. Transient Global Amnesia
If it's that, then it's temporary and there is no known cause. Saw that info on the Mayo clinic web site. It also mentions asking the same question several times.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

I had something similar a few years ago. Consider a "silent migraine" but do check with a doctor asap!
Old 09-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #10

Is she on any medication? I remember my mom on one where she had memory loss. It was Predizone.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

So sorry scary. Another medicine question, was she taking pravastatin, I was on it and got very forgetful and doing dumb things.... it’s a cholesterol med.
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #12

My BIL had mini strokes for so long he wound up in a memory unit. I agree with above. Get it checked out ASAP.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

There's so many different causes of the symptoms you describe. Here's a worrisome one. An opthalmologist I knew told me his partner in private practice once asked him the same question 3 times in a 15 minute period. He made sure his partner was evaluated. It turned out he had a brain tumor.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Had she taken a nap before the brain fog episode?

Yes she took a nap. Will go see doc
Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
So sorry scary. Another medicine question, was she taking pravastatin, I was on it and got very forgetful and doing dumb things.... it’s a cholesterol med.

She’s not on meds. Thanks
Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #16

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it. Will go t ER
Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I've never experienced this before, but DW forgot everything that happened last night and this morning.

She was talking to a niece last night on the internet from Australia, she forgot the conversation. She had to call her again this afternoon and she told the same story.

She forgot where she placed her hand bag and wallet this morning and it took us one hour to find it - she hid it somewhere. We were suppose to go grocery and this delayed us

She forgot 3X that I already had breakfast today. She asked me 3X.

She said it seems like she was sleepwalking thru the whole time and she felt everything was hazy.

Searched the internet and says it could be caused by stress, fatigue, etc. Will have to go to the Doc. It's kinda scary.

Don't want to think it is Alzheimer's.
ALZ seldom comes on that quickly.

Stress or other factors are possible. I'm one of the folks who had a TGA, mentioned in another thread, I can relate to what you wrote. That's how I was acting.

Get the docs opinion. Good luck.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #18

Sure sounds like a mini stroke. My wife had one while driving. She was able to pull over, call me but didn't know where she was. Found her 4 miles from home at an intersection she has driven through millions of times over the last 40 years. The brain scan showed up where the stroke occurred.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Yes she took a nap. Will go see doc
By all means, go see a doc. I just wondered if she experienced an episode of “sleep drunkenness”.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
By all means, go see a doc. I just wondered if she experienced an episode of “sleep drunkenness”.

Yes that’s what she’s describing