Brains and wine...

Nice new avatar, ronin!

Jay as in "j" as in the first letter of the fattie he's a rollin', dude.
When our kid's bunny stretches out on the floor for a good petting, our spouse refers to him as "a big fattie". Our teen DARE graduate has adopted the expression and would be shocked, shocked I say, to discover that it's drug jargon.

She once commented on the classic-rock genre: "Dad, it really is all about sex, drugs, and rock&roll, isn't it?" I just didn't have the heart to explain to her about the etymology of the term "Doobie Brothers", let alone the backstage activities of Three Dog Night...

Nice new avatar, ronin!

When our kid's bunny stretches out on the floor for a good petting, our spouse refers to him as "a big fattie". Our teen DARE graduate has adopted the expression and would be shocked, shocked I say, to discover that it's drug jargon.

She once commented on the classic-rock genre: "Dad, it really is all about sex, drugs, and rock&roll, isn't it?" I just didn't have the heart to explain to her about the etymology of the term "Doobie Brothers", let alone the backstage activities of Three Dog Night...

:)

Not to mention Zeppelin's Lemon Song, GFR's T.N.U.C., or The Beatle's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds...

Not to mention Zeppelin's Lemon Song, GFR's T.N.U.C., or The Beatle's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds...

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.
Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmellow pies,
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.
Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties,
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstyle,
The girl with the kaleidoscope eyes.

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Dancing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Dancing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

Love Terry Kath's guitar solo in that song...

Wow. From brains and wine to j's and eight-tracks. Wonder how long it will be before bacon is mentioned? :D

Let's all give Rich a big hand for trying to make the deterioration of our minds seem like a good thing [grateful applause here]. It didn't work for me, but, hey, nice try!

You can't convince me that saying "mushroom" when I meant "marshmallow" (today) or not being able to remember Susan Sarandon's name (yesterday) is a good thing.

BTW, the thread topic was "Brains and Wine," but I didn't find anything in the post or the article about wine. So one of us is having a senior moment.

As the young people say, Dude! I just bought that album on CD on Monday! My wife heard a Blind Faith track and liked it. I remarked that Blind Faith was in my top ten list. Whilt buying the Blind Faith CD on Amazon, I also bought John Barlycorn Must Die, Cream: Disraeli Gears, and The Beatles: Sgt Pepper.

I listened to this stuff when I was 16 and still love it.

Mike D.

As the young people say, Dude! I just bought that album on CD on Monday! My wife heard a Blind Faith track and liked it. I remarked that Blind Faith was in my top ten list. Whilt buying the Blind Faith CD on Amazon, I also bought John Barlycorn Must Die, Cream: Disraeli Gears, and The Beatles: Sgt Pepper.

I listened to this stuff when I was 16 and still love it.

Mike D.
Nothing today is quite as good!!:D

"Light up or leave me alone"... O0

Ol' Steve Winwood was pretty talented for a teenager! (Spencer Davis Group years)

Saw a Blind Faith concert on PBS a few months back. Muy bien!

He's acknowledging that in the past he was a ....a....a....I can't bear to say it:

A drug addict! (HFWR, that's straight from the Sheriff in a Doonesbury cartoon.)

Marijuana,

AKA

"Mary Jane"

shorted to "jay".

Drug addict is probably overstating the case, but recreational drug use was almost the norm back then...

Certainly caused quite a few burn-outs, but most moved on to "adulthood", and legal drugs like alcohol and tranquilizers... :p

Let's all give Rich a big hand for trying to make the deterioration of our minds seem like a good thing [grateful applause here]...You can't convince me that saying "mushroom" when I meant "marshmallow" (today) or not being able to remember Susan Sarandon's name (yesterday) is a good thing.

BTW, the thread topic was "Brains and Wine," but I didn't find anything in the post or the article about wine. So one of us is having a senior moment.

Uh... Al - first line of original post of the title "Brains and Wine..." was... " ... both improve with age."

Maybe you really did mean mushrooms? ;)

2-3 months before? I guess that's not so bad, as long as you don't need to stop drinking for more than say, 24 hours. Just mark the calendar, 'exam in 3 months - no drinks today'. ;)

-ERD50

Traffic, John Barleycorn

My ESL is showing. I meant to say not drinking for the 2-3 months leading up to the exam. If all I had to do was to stop drinking for 1 day 3 months before an exam, I'd be in a much, much better mood. The ER forum, for instance, used to be laugh-out-loud funny. Now that I'm sober all the time, it's still good but just not laugh-out-loud funny all the time.

My ESL is showing. I meant to say not drinking for the 2-3 months leading up to the exam. If all I had to do was to stop drinking for 1 day 3 months before an exam, I'd be in a much, much better mood. The ER forum, for instance, used to be laugh-out-loud funny. Now that I'm sober all the time, it's still good but just not laugh-out-loud funny all the time.

I know! Isn't it strange how the lack of an approved adult beverage seems to tone down the entire situation:confused:

-- Rita

My ESL is showing. I meant to say not drinking for the 2-3 months leading up to the exam.

No, not at all - I was just taking advantage of these common phrases that can be read different ways if one tries hard enough. The meaning was clear, I intentionally tried to twist it.

Another one I sometimes notice is when someone says ' every other house on the block is yellow' - does that mean that only one house on the block is NOT yellow, or half the houses are yellow?

You might need several drinks to fathom any humor in that though, so pick something you like! ;)

But I'm curious, are other conversational languages more precise? I assume they all have their little quirks - well, unless you call 'mathematics' a language.

-ERD50

But I'm curious, are other conversational languages more precise? I assume they all have their little quirks - well, unless you call 'mathematics' a language.

-ERD50

Man, wouldn't that be fun! You'd specify which dialect of English you're using and then you'd indicate your axioms. You'd be ready to start a conversation by page 10 easily.

Uh... Al - first line of original post of the title "Brains and Wine..." was... " ... both improve with age."

Right, I guess I illustrated my own point.

Back
Top Bottom