Brains and wine...

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
... both improve with age.

This report mentions how the older brain is like a larger, fuller hard drive. We can recognize truthful patterns because we are taking an eagle's eye view that is not apparent to distractable younger people. Pattern recognition is better and transient distractions do not overwhelm.

It even glorifies the typical older person's "forgetfulness" -- we are searching and sorting a much larger database, discarding the irrelevant, and putting the "found records" in a more accurate context.

I've experienced examples of this personally. A medication came up today which a resident wanted to use on a patient. I couldn't recall the generic name (resident had used the brand name much to my disapproval). She came up with it a moment later, at about the same time it occurred to me that that one was part of a class of drugs that was later found to be too dangerous for most patients (though I still hadn't come up with the generic name). While she was rapidly zeroing in on the generic name, I had leap-frogged that and noted the drug to be dangerous based on a broader (if slower) knowledge base.

I sometimes babble on about preferring "just in time" learning (where I know how to quickly look up and access new information) to "just in case" learning where useless new information is memorized in the hope that it may become necessary soon -- which it rarely is, and clutters the field.

It is an interesting pastime: to observe might mind/body deteriorating right on schedule.

Are you sure that the older brain is just searching a large database, or is it just trying to clear the years of wine damage? :) Before big exams, I always make a point of stopping drinking 2-3 months before the exam. I'm not a doctor, but I do remember stuff a lot better if I don't drink.

Brad Paisley: Alcohol
YouTube - Brad Paisley - Alcohol
In part:

'Cause since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
Been making a fool out of folks just like you
And helping white people dance
I'm medicine and I am poison
I can help you up or make you fall
You had some of the best times
You'll never remember with me
Alcohol
Alcohol

Before big exams, I always make a point of stopping drinking 2-3 months before the exam.

2-3 months before? I guess that's not so bad, as long as you don't need to stop drinking for more than say, 24 hours. Just mark the calendar, 'exam in 3 months - no drinks today'. ;)

-ERD50

Traffic, John Barleycorn

The huntsman, he can't hunt the fox
Nor so loudly to blow his horn,
And the tinker, he can't mend kettle nor pots
without a little barley corn

I sometimes babble on about preferring "just in time" learning...
It's also a lot easier to do when technology enables you to replace your PDR with a PDA...

"Recognize the pattern? What pattern?!?" It's interesting watching our teen driver learn how to maintain a scan. Essentially she can either do the scan or do anything else, but not simultaneously. She grumbles about not being allowed to touch the audio, climate, or cruise controls while driving but frankly she can't do so without completely ignoring whatever's happening outside the windows. Right now (three weeks into her learner's permit, driving almost every day) she can't even hold up her end of a conversation without neglecting her driving. It's hard to believe until you're sitting next to it at 55 mph.

It's also interesting to watch older military officers dealing with the same situations as younger ones. The older ones cope because [-]of survivor bias[/-] they've survived the earlier situations and generally expect to survive this one too. They've also learned to ignore the extraneous and focus on the one or two important things that are about to (or need to) happen. The younger ones have trouble coping because they haven't found out yet if they're going to survive, and everything is equally important because they can't decide what to ignore.

Last edited:
It's interesting watching our teen driver learn how to maintain a scan. Essentially she can either do the scan or do anything else, but not simultaneously. She grumbles about not being allowed to touch the audio, climate, or cruise controls while driving but frankly she can't do so without completely ignoring whatever's happening outside the windows.

Reminds me of when i taught my daughter to drive. I would sit in the car with her and make her close her eyes, and learn to reach down, change the radio stations, insert CDs and eject them, pick up lipsticks off the floor, and pick up her phone, flip it open, answer it, and hang up, without looking. When she graduated from that, I made her focus straight ahead and read a book on the dash, while doing all the afore mentioned stuff, and then tested her on the information that she had read. Only when I was satisfied that she could do all that, would I let her actually start the car, and begin to move. Periodically, I would have her do some of that while driving around the parking lot, to be sure that she could do it. She was quite exasperated with me at the time, but now, some 14 years later, she says that it certainly saved her on a number of occasions that she hadn't told me about at the time. I knew she was going to do all that stuff anyway, so I wanted here able to do it without losing focus on the road.
Now if I could just figure out how to get all those cell phone talking, fast food eating, newspaper reading drivers on the road today, to learn how to do it, without crossing over into my lane, I would feel safer for myself. :rant::rant:

It's interesting watching our teen driver learn how to maintain a scan. Essentially she can either do the scan or do anything else, but not simultaneously.

What I remember most about learning to fly an airplane was the frustration of not knowing how to split attention, or what to focus on when. Didn't have (or don't remember) that in driving - lots of bike riding is good preparation?

Pay attention to heading, altitude goes off.
Watch altitude, engine rpm goes off.
Watch that, one wing is low and turning (again!)
Change a radio frequency - where are we?
And on and on....

Now I'm going to get a glass of wine.

Brain.....

Wine and your Brain......

Look what happens.....

See Newguy..... Be afraid be very careful, Wine...

"Recognize the pattern? What pattern?!?" It's interesting watching our teen driver learn how to maintain a scan. Essentially she can either do the scan or do anything else, but not simultaneously. She grumbles about not being allowed to touch the audio, climate, or cruise controls while driving but frankly she can't do so without completely ignoring whatever's happening outside the windows. Right now (three weeks into her learner's permit, driving almost every day) she can't even hold up her end of a conversation without neglecting her driving. It's hard to believe until you're sitting next to it at 55 mph.

Heck, I used to roll a jay while steering with my knee... :D

Maybe, youthful brain does not have a lot of connective bits between discrete information. My older brain full is of stuff. (go ahead, its and opening)
smiley.gif
Mostly obsolete knowledge. Used to like to call it "situational awareness"
grin.gif

Being retired, "situational awareness" is not as important as when there can be unintended rapid oxidization, two things attempting to occupy the same space at the same time, or other mayhem.

So I lift my glass to soften the view.

Thanks, Whitestick, we're going to have to try that someday. Just turning on the headlights can still be a challenge.

Heck, I used to roll a jay while steering with my knee... :D
Alas, some advanced driving skills training will have to be outsourced to the professionals...

Last edited:
now if only i could access the defrag function.

during certain trance or dreamstates, mind can multiply attention spans so that instead of looking through one point of view, consciousness divides like through a prism whereby you can simultaneously put your full attention to remembering your day, to enjoying a dream, planning tomorrow, working with a completely different dream or two from your other dream which you continue to monitor, create musical scores, each instrument of the orchestra completely auditory & under control, experience some other things that i won't even go into because who's gonna believe that when just what i'm describing is so counter our ordinary state of being, etc.

memory afterwards is one of having had separate events during the same time period yet without disjuncture or discordance and fully brings to bare the notion that time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

still, i prefer to pull off the road to take a phone call.

Fascinating Thread ...

"Recognize the pattern? What pattern?!?" It's interesting watching our teen driver learn how to maintain a scan. Essentially she can either do the scan or do anything else, but not simultaneously. She grumbles about not being allowed to touch the audio, climate, or cruise controls while driving but frankly she can't do so without completely ignoring whatever's happening outside the windows. Right now (three weeks into her learner's permit, driving almost every day) she can't even hold up her end of a conversation without neglecting her driving.

I kinda think that in a given situation a given individual has only so much reserve brain "bandwidth" to devote to activities other than the primary one, and the division of attention affects all activities. You can observe this in traffic just about any time. Some drivers who are trying to drive and have a phone conversation at the same time slow down without realizing it, weave, brake for no apparent reason, make turns much wider than they otherwise would ... Some argue that the danger is that one hand is occupied holding a handset and the eyes may be occupied during the dialing sequence, but that does not explain the slowing down and braking while driving and in the middle of a call.

Back to the original post, my perception is that my own intuition has gotten better as I have gotten older. Others may disagree. :eek: And yes, the generic name of the medication does not matter at all if the med is in a class that should not be used in the first place. The time spent stuck trying to remember the name is wasted.

What's a jay? :rolleyes:

He's acknowledging that in the past he was a ....a....a....I can't bear to say it:

A drug addict! (HFWR, that's straight from the Sheriff in a Doonesbury cartoon.)

Marijuana,

AKA

"Mary Jane"

shorted to "jay".

Jay as in "j" as in the first letter of the fattie he's a rollin', dude.

Back in '74, I went to school in Atlanta, and made the drive back to Indiana about once a month. A little attitude adjustment made the drive much more pleasurable... :p

I found that Neil Young's Greatest Hits, The Doors Greatest hits, CSNY's Four-Way Street, and The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East would get me from point A to point B...

All on eight-track... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom