Join Early Retirement Today

Breathe Easy, Weight-Enhanced People
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Breathe Easy, Weight-Enhanced People

Diabetes Update: More Evidence That Overweight is The Healthiest Weight

This is interesting to me, and the paper is right there to see. Kind of tweaks the consciousness of a 21 century urban person. Also, I think we can stop blaming poor US life expectancy on fat US residents.

Abstract:
Although a clear risk of mortality is associated with obesity, the risk of mortality associated with overweight is equivocal. The objective of this study is to estimate the relationship between BMI and all-cause mortality in a nationally representative sample of Canadian adults. A sample of 11,326 respondents aged 25 in the 1994/1995 National Population Health Survey (Canada) was studied using Cox proportional hazards models. A significant increased risk of mortality over the 12 years of follow-up was observed for underweight (BMI <18.5; relative risk (RR) = 1.73, P < 0.001) and obesity class II+ (BMI >35; RR = 1.36, P <0.05). Overweight (BMI 25 to <30) was associated with a significantly decreased risk of death (RR = 0.83, P < 0.05). The RR was close to one for obesity class I (BMI 30–35; RR = 0.95, P >0.05). Our results are similar to those from other recent studies, confirming that underweight and obesity class II+ are clear risk factors for mortality, and showing that when compared to the acceptable BMI category, overweight appears to be protective against mortality. Obesity class I was not associated with an increased risk of mortality.

What a blow for the modern fat-police Puritans.

Ha.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Diabetes Update: More Evidence That Overweight is The Healthiest Weight

This is interesting to me, and the paper is right there to see. Kind of tweaks the consciousness of a 21 century urban person. Also, I think we can stop blaming poor US life expectancy on fat US residents.
Maybe we can blame US low life expectancy on a lifestyle that is more sedentary than it might be.

For many years now I've come to believe that fit and fat is much better than not fit and thin. Fat and sedentary has got to be bad for most people - it certainly was for me. I started exercising in my mid 40's after I had several blood pressure readings in the pre-hypertension range. Not only did my blood pressure drop back down to normal but I found I felt much better and had more energy, and I started doing things I had long since given up such as tennis, cycling, and raquet ball. The fact that I lost 35lb and 6" off my waist was a very pleasing side effect that has more to do with vanity than anything else
Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if they controlled for other health factors? Cancer patients, AIDS patients, tobacco addicts, and chronic alcoholics are often underweight.
Not that I'm knocking it, mind you, because I'm past my 40s and I was never underweight.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but underweight people may have serious problems, like TFFMC said.

My BMI is 25, and people say I am skinny. Yet, that is the exactly the line between normal and overweight. I would be bony at a BMI of 18.5, the division between normal and underweight categories.

On the other hand, I compute what my weight has to be in order to be up to the borderline obesity of 30 BMI. That's a lot of fat to be carrying around for me. As to becoming a body builder in order to carry that additional weight in muscles, though I have never been to a gym and look like a weakling now, I would think so many extra pounds of muscle on me would make me look like a freak, if it is even possible. So, I wouldn't want to gain any more weight, no matter what any study says.

In short, I don't know if I can believe the study, but a BMI of 25 works for me (although my doctor hassles me about losing a few more pounds).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have long suspected that a consistently and moderately overweight person could be "healthier" in some sense than someone who is underweight (and perhaps undernourished), and more healthy than someone whose weight yo-yos between (say) 20-30 pounds overweight and back to "normal" weight repeatedly.

I especially suspect that may be true if the moderately overweight person gets a decent amount of exercise (particularly cardio).

Yeah, 100 pounds overweight is a big health problem for almost anyone, but I really think we may hurt our bodies more by stressing out about over the 20-pound spare tire than by accepting it -- provided "acceptance" doesn't mean a total junk diet and no exercise. The stress could hurt more than the few extra pounds. I'm no doctor, but I've seen what stress can do to one's health.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I wonder if they controlled for other health factors? Cancer patients, AIDS patients, tobacco addicts, and chronic alcoholics are often underweight.
Not that I'm knocking it, mind you, because I'm past my 40s and I was never underweight.
I don't know about some of these things, all I can see is the abstract and the news articles. A NYT piece about the study states that the underweight group did not die from cancer, but rather a grab-bag of other things including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc.

Ha
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sure must be complicated to control for other factors in a study like this. Sitting on the couch watching TV with nachos and cigarette is probably a safer location than being outside hiking or canoeing or skydiving.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sure must be complicated to control for other factors in a study like this. Sitting on the couch watching TV with nachos and cigarette is probably a safer location than being outside hiking or canoeing or skydiving.
Ill skip the canoeing,smoking and skydiving. But damn those hiking, watching tv and nachos sound good to me!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Time to bring back the term "rubenesque"

Just ponder Ruben's "The Judgement of Paris" for a moment. Would these women be considered beautiful by today's standards? The fellas to the right seem to think so and the ladies do appear healthy and happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rubens - Judgement of Paris.jpg (139.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

Just ponder Ruben's "The Judgement of Paris" for a moment. Would these women be considered beautiful by today's standards? The fellas to the right seem to think so and the ladies do appear healthy and happy!
They look fine to me. Remember that flesh positive blues song? "Little mean woman stay away from door
I got a big fat gal and I don't need you no more..."

I have it on a CD somewhere. It may be by Arthur "Big Boy"Crudup.

Ha
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ill skip the canoeing,smoking and skydiving. But damn those hiking, watching tv and nachos sound good to me!
HOW?

I see no beer on the list.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, once upon a time, not being underweight was a status symbol as it meant you had the means to afford more food than the bare minimum. In some circles it was also believed it made you more fertile.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, once upon a time, not being underweight was a status symbol as it meant you had the means to afford more food than the bare minimum. In some circles it was also believed it made you more fertile.
In the very poor rural area where I grew up, being a bit chunky was considered healthy and maybe even sexy. As grandpa used to say, I like a woman with a little meat on her bones.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

To help visualize these weight classes, this is what a BMI of 17.4 looks like:

BMIs of 20 and 29:

34:

43:

Photos were from:

Illustrated BMI Categories - a set on Flickr

I expect that people like those in the last two photos will use study results like this as an excuse not to exercise and eat less.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I scratched my head over the couple with BMI of 20 and 29. I would have thought their BMIs are closer together than that, meaning the woman's is higher and the man's lower. Compare her to the thin gal above for example. It doesn't feel right.

And by the way, aren't both of them holding in their tummies?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
In the very poor rural area where I grew up, being a bit chunky was considered healthy and maybe even sexy. As grandpa used to say, I like a woman with a little meat on her bones.
My grandpa used to say the same thing.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I scratched my head over the couple with BMI of 20 and 29. I would have thought their BMIs are closer together than that, meaning the woman's is higher and the man's lower.
Maybe we're remembering older scales for "ideal" weight and height. Years ago there was a fairly substantial difference between "ideal" weights of women and men, given the same height. These days there's much little difference, and indeed many BMI scales don't draw any distinction between gender.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And by the way, aren't both of them holding in their tummies?
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
They look fine to me. Remember that flesh positive blues song? "Little mean woman stay away from door
I got a big fat gal and I don't need you no more..."

I have it on a CD somewhere. It may be by Arthur "Big Boy"Crudup.

Ha
Not the same song, but the same theme:

Harry's Blues Lyrics Online, Tommy Johnson Lyrics, page 1

Quote:
Crying, big fat mama, meat shaking on her bones
Time the meat shake, it's a skinny woman(1) lose a home

-ERD50 ( I almost accidently posted this in the "Meat Report" thread )
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I prefer to be referred to as "statuesque".