Join Early Retirement Today

British Doctor does a high touch family intervention with struggling family
Old 12-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

British Doctor does a high touch family intervention with struggling family

Diabetes Reversed Using Low Carb on BBC – Again! – What Will Those Old-School Dietitians Say Now? - Diet Doctor

I really enjoyed this. The Doc is committed to changing many things with this family -nutrition, exercise, and other things. He seems very understanding and respectful

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

If you want a deal bad enough, you're gonna get a bad deal. -Boone Pickens

You want it bad, you get it bad. The worse you want it, the worse you get it. -Common saying in a car dealership
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Administrator

Thanks for the link. We watch a lot of BBC documentaries on iPlayer and had missed this series. Just added it to our favorites, the first 3 episodes are still available for us to watch.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ha. While I nor DW have none of that family's problems, spending the time to watch was most enlightening.

BTW I did not know that two slices of whole wheat bread spikes blood sugar more than a snickers bar, wow.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not that I've been able to do it (damn that alcohol requirement!), but Type 2 diabetes can be cured through weight loss, Newcastle University finds - Telegraph

I believe this strongly, and if my diabetes wasn't pretty well controlled maybe I would work more strongly toward the weight loss. As it is, I'm trying to make slow progress as I've proven to myself I can't do it cold turkey. If only I could put my pancreas on it's own diet.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I enjoyed watching this also. It makes me feel good to know this family is turning their lives around.

I am trying to cut sugar and flour out of my diet right now. I am also trying to eat more vegetables, fruits and legumes. I really need to exercise on a more consistent basis and stop sitting so much.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I
I am trying to cut sugar and flour out of my diet right now. I am also trying to eat more vegetables, fruits and legumes. I really need to exercise on a more consistent basis and stop sitting so much.
Ha, thanks for the link;

The above quoted was (is currently) my personal plan since last April. I am down 40 pounds and blood work done last month was "boring" according to my Doc. No issues or trends. 15 more pounds to my optimum weight. Downside - none of my clothes fit anymore. Upside, well you know the possibilities.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this. I just finished watching it. I enjoyed it immensely.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting show. Thanks for posting the link.

Did I see a Whole30 cookbook in there?
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's easy to point to other people who have managed to get their blood sugar under control with high carb diets too. Whatever diet works to get your weight down will improve your blood sugar. I gained weight on high fat, low carb while being hungry and miserable the whole time.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Not that I've been able to do it (damn that alcohol requirement!), but Type 2 diabetes can be cured through weight loss, Newcastle University finds - Telegraph

I believe this strongly, and if my diabetes wasn't pretty well controlled maybe I would work more strongly toward the weight loss. As it is, I'm trying to make slow progress as I've proven to myself I can't do it cold turkey. If only I could put my pancreas on it's own diet.

I would probably say it MIGHT be cured.... my doc has type 2 and is skinny as a rail....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I did finally watch it. It was interesting to hear them say Brits are addicted to fast food. I know they have their own tradition of it - fish and chips for example. But when I saw that family with their huge load of McDonalds, I felt bad for our US-exported unhealthy fast food.

It's pretty amazing the woman was able to turn her type-2 diabetes around.

Weight loss doesn't necessarily result from low-carb only. It certainly helped this family to get them off their daily junk food.

In my case, cutting out certain foods (not carb-related), and eating only foods prepared from scratch at home made a big difference. But cooking all your own food from scratch every day is a huge commitment.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You can watch another episode of this show on YouTube. I thought it was as good. Just type in "doc in da house" to find it. The guy in this episode already has diabetes and his blood sugar was not controlled by medication at all at the beginning of the show. (I love this show not only for the health part of the program but also to see how people live in the UK.) There is one more episode on the BBC site but unless you are in the UK or you use some nifty software, you won't be able to watch it from the U.S.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I watched about 15 minutes till the part where the doc recommended dietary changes, and skipped to the end results. It should not be surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
... Weight loss doesn't necessarily result from low-carb only. It certainly helped this family to get them off their daily junk food.

In my case, cutting out certain foods (not carb-related), and eating only foods prepared from scratch at home made a big difference. But cooking all your own food from scratch every day is a huge commitment.
We cook from scratch our whole life. Never thought it was a big deal.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
You can watch another episode of this show on YouTube. I thought it was as good. Just type in "doc in da house" to find it. The guy in this episode already has diabetes and his blood sugar was not controlled by medication at all at the beginning of the show. (I love this show not only for the health part of the program but also to see how people live in the UK.) There is one more episode on the BBC site but unless you are in the UK or you use some nifty software, you won't be able to watch it from the U.S.

Thanks tmm99, I'll watch this too. One thing I like is how kind Doctor Chattergee appears to be.

Ha
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks tmm99, I'll watch this too. One thing I like is how kind Doctor Chattergee appears to be.

Ha
I totally agree. I also felt that he genuinely cared about each patient and did his best to help them.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

We are watching the series on the BBC iPlayer (with a nifty bit of software) and it is excellent.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:21 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

What's the nifty bit of software?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
What's the nifty bit of software?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tunnelbear

There are various other VPN options and DNS services available. All the time we were traveling in Canada we were able to access all our US paid subscriptions such as sport, PBS, NatGeo, Netflix, Amazon Prime Streaming etc. When in the US we watch a lot of BBC programs through their iPlayer set-up.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 90's when the Atkins Diet was in vogue, I mentioned it to my PCP who incidentally had a side specialty in diabetics.

I was waiting for a "you're going to blow out a kidney" lecture.

Instead, he said that he had 6 patients that no longer needed to inject due to a small variation of the Atkins Diet.