British Doctor does a high touch family intervention with struggling family

If you want a deal bad enough, you're gonna get a bad deal. -Boone Pickens

You want it bad, you get it bad. The worse you want it, the worse you get it. -Common saying in a car dealership

Thanks for the link. We watch a lot of BBC documentaries on iPlayer and had missed this series. Just added it to our favorites, the first 3 episodes are still available for us to watch.

Thanks Ha. While I nor DW have none of that family's problems, spending the time to watch was most enlightening.

BTW I did not know that two slices of whole wheat bread spikes blood sugar more than a snickers bar, wow.

Not that I've been able to do it (damn that alcohol requirement!), but Type 2 diabetes can be cured through weight loss, Newcastle University finds - Telegraph

I believe this strongly, and if my diabetes wasn't pretty well controlled maybe I would work more strongly toward the weight loss. As it is, I'm trying to make slow progress as I've proven to myself I can't do it cold turkey. If only I could put my pancreas on it's own diet.

I enjoyed watching this also. It makes me feel good to know this family is turning their lives around.

I am trying to cut sugar and flour out of my diet right now. I am also trying to eat more vegetables, fruits and legumes. I really need to exercise on a more consistent basis and stop sitting so much.

I
I am trying to cut sugar and flour out of my diet right now. I am also trying to eat more vegetables, fruits and legumes. I really need to exercise on a more consistent basis and stop sitting so much.

Ha, thanks for the link;

The above quoted was (is currently) my personal plan since last April. I am down 40 pounds and blood work done last month was "boring" according to my Doc. No issues or trends. 15 more pounds to my optimum weight. Downside - none of my clothes fit anymore. Upside, well you know the possibilities.;)

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this. I just finished watching it. I enjoyed it immensely.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Very interesting show. Thanks for posting the link.

Did I see a Whole30 cookbook in there?

It's easy to point to other people who have managed to get their blood sugar under control with high carb diets too. Whatever diet works to get your weight down will improve your blood sugar. I gained weight on high fat, low carb while being hungry and miserable the whole time.

Not that I've been able to do it (damn that alcohol requirement!), but Type 2 diabetes can be cured through weight loss, Newcastle University finds - Telegraph

I believe this strongly, and if my diabetes wasn't pretty well controlled maybe I would work more strongly toward the weight loss. As it is, I'm trying to make slow progress as I've proven to myself I can't do it cold turkey. If only I could put my pancreas on it's own diet.

I would probably say it MIGHT be cured.... my doc has type 2 and is skinny as a rail....

I did finally watch it. It was interesting to hear them say Brits are addicted to fast food. I know they have their own tradition of it - fish and chips for example. But when I saw that family with their huge load of McDonalds, I felt bad for our US-exported unhealthy fast food.

It's pretty amazing the woman was able to turn her type-2 diabetes around.

Weight loss doesn't necessarily result from low-carb only. It certainly helped this family to get them off their daily junk food.

In my case, cutting out certain foods (not carb-related), and eating only foods prepared from scratch at home made a big difference. But cooking all your own food from scratch every day is a huge commitment.

Last edited:
You can watch another episode of this show on YouTube. I thought it was as good. Just type in "doc in da house" to find it. The guy in this episode already has diabetes and his blood sugar was not controlled by medication at all at the beginning of the show. (I love this show not only for the health part of the program but also to see how people live in the UK.) There is one more episode on the BBC site but unless you are in the UK or you use some nifty software, you won't be able to watch it from the U.S.

I watched about 15 minutes till the part where the doc recommended dietary changes, and skipped to the end results. It should not be surprising.

... Weight loss doesn't necessarily result from low-carb only. It certainly helped this family to get them off their daily junk food.

In my case, cutting out certain foods (not carb-related), and eating only foods prepared from scratch at home made a big difference. But cooking all your own food from scratch every day is a huge commitment.
We cook from scratch our whole life. Never thought it was a big deal.

Last edited:
You can watch another episode of this show on YouTube. I thought it was as good. Just type in "doc in da house" to find it. The guy in this episode already has diabetes and his blood sugar was not controlled by medication at all at the beginning of the show. (I love this show not only for the health part of the program but also to see how people live in the UK.) There is one more episode on the BBC site but unless you are in the UK or you use some nifty software, you won't be able to watch it from the U.S.

Thanks tmm99, I'll watch this too. One thing I like is how kind Doctor Chattergee appears to be.

Ha

Thanks tmm99, I'll watch this too. One thing I like is how kind Doctor Chattergee appears to be.

Ha
I totally agree. I also felt that he genuinely cared about each patient and did his best to help them.

We are watching the series on the BBC iPlayer (with a nifty bit of software) and it is excellent.

What's the nifty bit of software?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tunnelbear

There are various other VPN options and DNS services available. All the time we were traveling in Canada we were able to access all our US paid subscriptions such as sport, PBS, NatGeo, Netflix, Amazon Prime Streaming etc. When in the US we watch a lot of BBC programs through their iPlayer set-up.

Back in the 90's when the Atkins Diet was in vogue, I mentioned it to my PCP who incidentally had a side specialty in diabetics.

I was waiting for a "you're going to blow out a kidney" lecture.

Instead, he said that he had 6 patients that no longer needed to inject due to a small variation of the Atkins Diet.

Back in the 90's when the Atkins Diet was in vogue, I mentioned it to my PCP who incidentally had a side specialty in diabetics.

I was waiting for a "you're going to blow out a kidney" lecture.

Instead, he said that he had 6 patients that no longer needed to inject due to a small variation of the Atkins Diet.

As tmm mentioned above the first episode also included a guy whose diabetes was reversed with a no carb diet but he also persuaded the guy and his wife to limit their eating to a 10 hour window. In their case they chose to only eat between 9am and 7pm. (The wife also needed to lose a lot of weight) The doc also convinced the guy to fast for 24hrs one or two days a week and also to do High Intensity Interval Training, which for him was walking fast down the street for 2 minutes, strolling back to the start and walking fast again. It was very impressive how quickly the new regime cured his diabetes.

Back
Top Bottom