Join Early Retirement Today

Bruised ribs
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Administrator

Bruised ribs

Back in Texas after 10 weeks in England I played tennis this morning. During the first game while chasing the ball I lost my footing and fell heavily on my left side. I was winded and couldn't speak for about 30 seconds and on resuming play I found I had a very sharp pain on my left side whenever I raised my left arm to throw the ball in the air and even worse when I hit the ball on the serve. I managed by throwing the ball without raising my arm much and not throwing it high so the serve was from a lower height.

Ground shots etc were not too much of a problem and we played for about 2 hours. Now, 4 hours later I still have some pain and it is bad when I cough or sneeze. Although I have a scraped left knee and elbow there is no sign of bruising on my rib cage. I've taken ibuprofein which has definitely helped.

I'm thinking that with no signs of bruising I won't have cracked a rib and it is just some internal bruising. I just plan on taking ibuprofein for now.

Does this sound reasonable?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm thinking that with no signs of bruising I won't have cracked a rib and it is just some internal bruising. I just plan on taking ibuprofein for now.
Does this sound reasonable?
Speaking from my taekwondo bruising experience, just wait and see what that area looks like tomorrow!

If you can't see a doctor RIGHT NOW then you should at least schedule an appointment... preferably with a referral for an X-ray.

Surely any splintered ribs won't get buried very deeply into your lung tissue before then. And I'm almost positive that any blood clots won't break free anytime soon.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Alan, one thing you might want to do while you wait to see if complications develop is to make sure the beneficiary information is up to date on all your pensions...
Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Thanks Nords, good advice.

I'll see what it looks like in the morning. I don't particularly want to do the doc in a box this weekend if I can avoid it, but obviously will do if I get a lot worse.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Alan, one thing you might want to do while you wait to see if complications develop is to make sure the beneficiary information is up to date on all your pensions...
I should have expected financial advice on this forum (ouch, it also hurts when I laugh)
Old 08-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I bruised my ribs I was in pain for over 2 months because I was too stupid to take it easy. Don't make my mistake. Expect the pain when coughing to last weeks(depended on severity). Take care.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Alan...I'm sorry about your boo boo....I'm just surprised you didn't sear your skin on the pavement! The only advice I have is to take it easy and listen to your body....

....and if it hurts when you laugh, don't look at this ---->
Old 08-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Administrator

Thanks guys. I just remembered that my son and I are going to see Paula Poundstone in concert tonight with my son, so I should be exercising those laugh muscles a lot
Old 08-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Aw. Cowboy up. Get back on.

Several years ago, I cracked the catiledge in my sternum during a disagreement with a bicycle -- it wanted to go one way, I another. I was on pain killers for several months -- never to be wished-for experience.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about your fall, Alan. If there are no displaced bone parts, we usually just wait these things out with symptom relief, though deep breathing exercises are wise to the extent that pain permits.

Complications can and do infrequently occur and unlike with most athletic injuries, I do encourage a quick office visit to assure full lung expansion and absence of fracture on exam. A rib film is often done, sometimes not if all else is real well.

I'd call my doctor at soonest convenience to see what is recommended.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about the boo boo Alan, and I'm sure you are going to be fine. But...before you decide to put on a stiff upper lip, a word of advice from an MD: if you feel any shortness of breath, go to an emergency department right away. While you probably just have bruised ribs, if there is a fracture, a sharp piece of rib might puncture your pleura, leading to a pneumothorax (collapsed lung).
Collapsed lung: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Alan,
Be sure My name is in one of the blanks to receive large sums of money as a beneficiary.
I'll take good care of it, I promise.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Alan,
Be sure My name is in one of the blanks to receive large sums of money as a beneficiary. I'll take good care of it, I promise.
Steve
Geez, Steve. I was the first to offer up bogus internet nonmedical nonadvice. Least he could do was put me down as a benficiary.

Tell you what: I'll take the rest of his annuity payments.

PS: Alan, none of this poor taste in humor is meant to discount your discomfort. I cracked a rib once playing raquet ball, and I still wince when thinking about it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV Just hope you....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitten.jpg (58.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
Administrator

Thanks again for all the advice and sympathy

Thanks also for not pointing out my mis-spelling "bruised" on the thread title - I must have been in too much pain (but not in so much pain that I changed the beneficiaries to your excellent suggestions).

Rich, I'll consider calling in for an appointment to see a Doc on Monday - I need to re-register anyway at the clinic here since we moved back in January.

aaron & Ron, thanks for letting me know of your experiences. I'm due to play again Tuesday evening so will cancel if not feeling 90%. DW and I have a yoga class scheduled for Monday morning so I think I'll try that as it is mostly long stretches and deep breathing.

Meadbh, thanks for the link. Long deep breaths hurt but no sharp pain. Pulse and BP are okay.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks Nords, good advice.

I'll see what it looks like in the morning. I don't particularly want to do the doc in a box this weekend if I can avoid it, but obviously will do if I get a lot worse.
Cracked ribs don't necessarily show anything on the surface. I have had broken ribs 3 times, each time it was just pain, especially when I would try to sit up or get up from a chair, etc. If you develop shortness of breath get in to see someone asap.

So you could easily have some broken ribs, but I don't know if that means you should go see a doc right away or not. I did, but I had other more severe problems anyway.

Ha
Old 08-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alan,
All joking aside, I hope you are OK.
But a poor guy like me can't turn down any donations to his retirement fund.
The market sure as heck isn't bothering to help me any.
Hope all is well,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV Just hope you....
Here is one of my my favorite fictional TV doctors in an earlier role failing to diagnose a rather serious illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Cracked ribs don't necessarily show anything on the surface. I have had broken ribs 3 times, each time it was just pain, especially when I would try to sit up or get up from a chair, etc. If you develop shortness of breath get in to see someone asap.

So you could easily have some broken ribs, but I don't know if that means you should go see a doc right away or not. I did, but I had other more severe problems anyway.

Ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Alan,
All joking aside, I hope you are OK.
But a poor guy like me can't turn down any donations to his retirement fund.
The market sure as heck isn't bothering to help me any.
Hope all is well,
Steve
Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Alan , Besides Ibuprofen I recommend ice and rest and no money is required for this advice but could you tell your relatives that I 'm a lovely Irish lass who loves to visit England .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No advice, just wishes for quick healing.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote