Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We decided to try Delta Dental through Healthcare.gov. $40/mo for 3 of us. DH has extra cleanings, but DS and I get cleanings 2x/yr. DS less because it's hard to schedule around college breaks. I broke a tooth the weekend before I started the new insurance. Got the crown put in yesterday. I'll keep you posted what happens when the dental office runs it through the insurance. They're just as curious as I am. If it costs less because of the insurance, then it will have been worth it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
We decided to try Delta Dental through Healthcare.gov. $40/mo for 3 of us. DH has extra cleanings, but DS and I get cleanings 2x/yr. DS less because it's hard to schedule around college breaks. I broke a tooth the weekend before I started the new insurance. Got the crown put in yesterday. I'll keep you posted what happens when the dental office runs it through the insurance. They're just as curious as I am. If it costs less because of the insurance, then it will have been worth it.
I broke my tooth in Nov 2014 and I knew it needed a crown. I looked at Healthcare.gov for the dental plans and every one that I looked at had a 6 month or 12 month exclusion for major restorative, like a crown. Then there is also the deductible and only 25% or 50% co-pay. So don't be surprised if they don't cover it. Let us know, I'm curious how it turns out.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #63

A heads up about Delta Dental. I used them when w*rking, and all was well. After I signed up via Healthcare.gov, with Delta Dental of Pa, it got worse. The 800 number at Delta told me the deductible would be waived for preventative and diagnostic. Went for cleaning, deductible was NOT waived. I called up the 800 number again to complain, and they said too bad, can't do anything about it. Then I found a web page on their own website showing deductible should be waived, called a different 800 number at Delta, they apologized, said they would fix it and send me a new EOB in mail. I got a reference number for the "fix", and am currently waiting for it to arrive. BTW, Delta has many, many different plans, in different states, with different coverages. I have Delta Dental of Pa low PPO for Families and Individuals.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Back in my college days I worked with a guy who had very bad teeth but couldn't afford to have them fixed. He had them all pulled by a veterinarian. While I was there (summer job) he was waiting for the swelling to subside so he could buy dentures. All I ever saw him eat was white bread with jelly, IIRC he needed to wait 6 months.
I find it hard to believe that a veterinarian would risk his/her license not to mention the liability of doing something like this. Was this in the U.S.?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
I find it hard to believe that a veterinarian would risk his/her license not to mention the liability of doing something like this. Was this in the U.S.?
South Chicago suburbs, around 1975. It was a forging mill, and like most of the workers, he was an former steelworker who had been laid off, they were all hard up financially. No one there seemed to think it was unusual or inappropriate. Of course, they all drank beer for (not with) lunch, their idea of inappropriate rarely agreed with mine.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
A heads up about Delta Dental. I used them when w*rking, and all was well. After I signed up via Healthcare.gov, with Delta Dental of Pa, it got worse.
Ditto. I signed up with Delta Dental (California) when I first got my HMO individual coverage several years ago. They happily accepted my payments for a family plan, but when we went to the dentist, they denied knowing who we were. The dentist's office was told that we didn't have coverage with them. This went back and forth for several months, and we dropped the coverage out of sheer annoyance and figuring out that with a small cash discount the annual cost for just paying the dentist wouldn't be too different from paying the insurance plus deductibles and copays.

Another factor in 'going without' was that all dentists in the area were 'out of network' for the plan that had what looked like the best pricing. Using the Delta Dental website, we couldn't find a single dentist within 75 miles who was 'in network' for that plan. We had to bump up to much more expensive coverage to get an 'in plan' dentist.

Currently, we use a Health Savings Account (HSA) to accumulate and save for unexpected dental and medical costs. That gets us a 'discount' from the tax break, and may be handy for folks managing their income for ACA premium support eligibility, as contributions to an HSA reduce Modified Adjusted Gross Income.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

We are dentally "nekkid" so far ( it has only been a month since FIRE) and , naturally we made it a point to fully use up what my employer provided.

We looked at the Marketplace options and really didn't find anything that appealing that we couldn't find ourselves on the web.

Here, in Florida , we can get this plan ( and others) for about $200 year for the two of us that pays for cleanings, xrays and exams from the dental equivalent of McDonalds.

https://argusdental.com/Members/Dental-Plans

I was thinking of trying out the local dental college that offers cleanings and exams at $20/pop. SWMBO is not thrilled at this idea, but the hygenist that I had been going to for 20 years was a Nazi anyway (so how bad could it be?).

Today I got a notice in the mail from my ex-employer offering the dental plan we had (Delta of Ohio)for about $800/year. I was kind of surprised that we can get it without having to get the outrageous Medical plan ($14K/yr...no thanks we have ACA coverage now).

The $800 means we could keep our old very competent dentist and the Nazi, but we would have a deductible and it maxes out at $1200 each. We might just sit it out a year or two as we think we are in pretty decent shape dentally for now.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
....Today I got a notice in the mail from my ex-employer offering the dental plan we had (Delta of Ohio)for about $800/year. I was kind of surprised that we can get it without having to get the outrageous Medical plan ($14K/yr...no thanks we have ACA coverage now).

The $800 means we could keep our old very competent dentist and the Nazi, but we would have a deductible and it maxes out at $1200 each. We might just sit it out a year or two as we think we are in pretty decent shape dentally for now.
Ouch, $800/yr for a dental insurance with a deductible. To me that sounds incredibly expensive unless you know you have rotten teeth.
Especially if there are any limits per year (like only pay $1,000 per yr for crowns).
Old 02-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Ouch, $800/yr for a dental insurance with a deductible. To me that sounds incredibly expensive unless you know you have rotten teeth.
Especially if there are any limits per year (like only pay $1,000 per yr for crowns).
Well 2 people (I'm guessing) about 33 a month per person. Thats in line with what's available here. Even Megacorps was no cheaper. Yes, these plans typically top out around $1000-$1500 per year total.

When I priced dental out it prepaid for cleaning and xrays, allowing part of a crown yearly. Then there was a year(?) waiting period for the first crown.

Didn't make sense, I'm a grinder I eat dental work, even with splints, I ran into "oh that crowns not 5 years old:. If I could find a insurance decent product I might buy it.

Our dentist gives a 10% discount for checks or cash.