Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Bush vetoes SCHIP expansion
Old 10-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Bush vetoes SCHIP expansion

Bush vetoes child health insurance plan - Yahoo! News


This is the health care program for poor kids with some states allowing for their parents to also join...

Seems more about trying to backdoor adults into this....
__________________

__________________
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
What gets me here is that poor kids get treatment, they end up in emergency rooms all around the country and get seen.

This is why our system is garbage. Its I'Ve got mines and the heck with the rest of ya.

Sorry if we can spend almost 600 BILLION for a war in Iraq we can have healthcare for every american.
__________________

__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Compassionate conservatism. I say if illegals can get care, homegrown children should too.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,613
Part of the problem is that it was much, much more than "poor kids" being covered. If you're going to cover kids of parents earning as much as $80,000 a year, then cover ME, too!
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Free biscuits for everyone! Let those fat cats pay for it.*

* Fat cat = anyone with an earned income above 50K or with total assets above 150K, home vale not included. You're in the upper crust you know, now pay up, you oppressors of the proletariat!
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Thanks goodness we don't have to come up with $35B over five years for children's health, no way can we afford that. We can now focus on coming up with $10B per month for the Iraq war.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,359
Please enlighten me as to why we should pay for the medical insurance for the children of clearly middle class families ?
__________________
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
What gets me here is that poor kids get treatment, they end up in emergency rooms all around the country and get seen.

This is why our system is garbage. Its I'Ve got mines and the heck with the rest of ya.

Sorry if we can spend almost 600 BILLION for a war in Iraq we can have healthcare for every american.
My problem is what level of healthcare for all Americans

If I was rich, I would want to be able to buy the best medical procedures known to man for me... but in a 'universal health' that is talked about, that is not available... I get the same level of service that the homeless guy has.. not to capitalistic is it

And BTW, almost all Americans DO have 'healthcare' in some regard... if you break a bone it gets fixed, if you are in a car accident, you get fixed... have a heart attack and make it to the hospital, you get treatment... even if you never pay for it. It is the other treatments that you have to have insurance or money for.
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Please enlighten me as to why we should pay for the medical insurance for the children of clearly middle class families ?
That way, I can R a little more E!
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Please enlighten me as to why we should pay for the medical insurance for the children of clearly middle class families ?
I think it's part of the new plan to incrementally achieve national (e.g. taxpayer-financed) health care.

Step 1) Medicare for all those over 65. Done.

Step 2) SCHIP for a majority of kids. If this expansion fails, I predict:
Step 2B) Declare virtually all children as being "indigent" by virtue of their own earned income. Hey, most of these tykes earn almost nothing! Why should working moms and dads have to pay for health care for individuals who aren't even - -them?

Step 3) Raise taxes to pay for Step 2B and other gotta-have entitlement programs. Then, the after-tax income of 75% of the adults between 18 and 65 will make them eligible for (you guessed it!): Medicaid!

Step 4) The remaining 25% of working adults become incensed by the tax burden. Half of them quit working (they get coverage under Medicaid.) The other half leave the country for a capitalist nation. Voila! Universal coverage is achieved!
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
It's a Democrat tactic that, now that Bush has vetoed it, will be used to beat Republicans over the head for vetoing health care for the poor...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Please enlighten me as to why we should pay for the medical insurance for the children of clearly middle class families ?
Are you a smoker? It was smokers who were going to pay, which I think is sick in itself. But if you dislike $35B over 5 years, $7B per year, which you were probably not even going to pay for, you must be livid over the $120 to $200B per year that you are going to pay for -- and that's going into a rathole in Iraq.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Let's not blow a gasket over this one folks - medical in some form is going to be a periennial - I expect to be debating in some form when I croak in 20 yrs at precisely 84.6 RMD life expectancy wise.

heh heh heh - I think I read over at Raddr's forum a while back over 40% of the total med $ spent in the US is already on the governments nickle? aka da taxpayer.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Are you a smoker? It was smokers who were going to pay, which I think is sick in itself. But if you dislike $35B over 5 years, $7B per year, which you were probably not even going to pay for, you must be livid over the $120 to $200B per year that you are going to pay for -- and that's going into a rathole in Iraq.
No I am not a smoker.

My issue with this program is that it is a benefit that many of the targeted group could and should pay for themselves. They are the benficiaries and therefore they should pay.

I want something, but I don't want to pay for it so lets get congress to take money from you to give to me.

The tactics of this program, and the inherent unfairness of it are what gets me going.
__________________
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
No I am not a smoker.

My issue with this program is that it is a benefit that many of the targeted group could and should pay for themselves. They are the benficiaries and therefore they should pay.

I want something, but I don't want to pay for it so lets get congress to take money from you to give to me.

The tactics of this program, and the inherent unfairness of it are what gets me going.
I really don't know much about this bill, so am not going to defend it. What irks me is the reason Bush used to veto the bill - that it costs too much. While at the same time he asks for 120B+ per year for a war that's bankrupting our country and wearing down our nation's finest.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
Beststash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 145
I view this veto by Bush as simply his ideology. He has only used his veto 3 times. 1st for stem cell research, 2nd for defense budget that contained time lines for withdrawal from Iraq, and now for SCHIP.

He has no problem spending money in any fashion imaginable as long as it goes to those he thinks deserve it. Never once was spending an issue before - this is simply saying that domestic spending by the government in his view is considered socialism - sigh.

Peace
__________________
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My problem is what level of healthcare for all Americans

If I was rich, I would want to be able to buy the best medical procedures known to man for me... but in a 'universal health' that is talked about, that is not available... I get the same level of service that the homeless guy has.. not to capitalistic is it

And BTW, almost all Americans DO have 'healthcare' in some regard... if you break a bone it gets fixed, if you are in a car accident, you get fixed... have a heart attack and make it to the hospital, you get treatment... even if you never pay for it. It is the other treatments that you have to have insurance or money for.

Uh a heart attack and then find out the company you worked for did not pay their premium and went belly up and then the guy had a stroke and then he had 750,000 in bills and guess what THEY LOST THEIR HOUSE!!!!! Two months ago! The system is BROKEN!
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Oh, yeah, this President is a real penny-pincher on domestic spending.

Oh, wait, a bolt of reality:
Washington Post, Feb 9th, 2005:
"The White House released budget figures yesterday indicating that the new Medicare prescription drug benefit will cost more than $1.2 trillion in the coming decade, a much higher price tag than President Bush suggested when he narrowly won passage of the law in late 2003."
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Oh, yeah, this President is a real penny-pincher on domestic spending.

Oh, wait, a bolt of reality:
Washington Post, Feb 9th, 2005:
"The White House released budget figures yesterday indicating that the new Medicare prescription drug benefit will cost more than $1.2 trillion in the coming decade, a much higher price tag than President Bush suggested when he narrowly won passage of the law in late 2003."

Great program for the pharma companies, the ONLY reason he signed the bill and you know it!
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Bush vetoes SCHIP expansion
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 961
Bush vetoes SCHIP expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Great program for the pharma companies, the ONLY reason he signed the bill and you know it!
You are right on the $$$$.

The Congress and Old George W could have passed a bill in which the price of drugs would have been negotiated like it is done in the VA system. Instead they chose to stick it (once again)to the American people, while they lined their own pockets with lobbyist $$$$.

It's sad but true.
__________________

__________________
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Realpolitik - About Bush chinaco Other topics 119 09-20-2007 05:21 PM
What should Bush say tomorrow janeeyre Other topics 94 01-15-2007 11:12 AM
George Bush Comes In Third benny Other topics 49 11-06-2006 05:13 PM
Bush n NOLA Helen Other topics 4 09-12-2005 09:27 AM
Bush gets progressive with SS laurence Other topics 12 04-29-2005 08:05 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.