Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently I ER'd years ago:
Biological age: 47
Real age: 19.5
Average life expectancy: 76
Your life expectancy: 103.5.

This must be a very sophisticated & accurate calculator because it's telling me exactly what I want to read. I think it gives extra credit just for being able to cough out BPs & HDL ratios.

Spouse will probably push the envelope even further...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am 10 years younger than my actual age.

The longevity wound up being consistent with planning.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow I'm 44 and it says I am 23. I will make it to 95.7 years. Can I get that in writing?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

52, 42, 86

So my "real age" is 42 which happens to be the answer to the question of what's the meaning of life, the universe, and everything according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

correct. but do you recall why 42 is the answer?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #26

The test options asked about liking J*B. So I lied, said I love it. Is retirement a j*b or a career? Oh, never mind. No retiree option, unless I missed it.
Anyway Real 60, biological 54, live to 84 yeah right.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
correct. but do you recall why 42 is the answer?
As I recall, the super computer Deep Thought indicated they didn't know the right question and it would take something like 6 million years to calculate it. Is there more to the story?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #28

Went through it 3 different times jiggling the answers to some of the more subjective questions, just seeing the differences, not necessarily to manipulate the answer.

Bio: 52
Real: 48.9
Expectancy 79.1

All three tries gave me a life expectancy between 76 and 79 years.

Having a little trouble with the question about regular use of prescription drugs. Watching the numbers vary as the slider moves, the more prescription drugs you use, the lower your life expectancy. Not sure I understand -- it seems that if you have a condition that gets treated you should live longer than if you have a condition that is not treated. I wonder if this question is linked to the answers about medical conditions (like BP and Total/HDL).
Maybe I am overanalyzing.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Having a little trouble with the question about regular use of prescription drugs. Watching the numbers vary as the slider moves, the more prescription drugs you use, the lower your life expectancy. Not sure I understand -- it seems that if you have a condition that gets treated you should live longer than if you have a condition that is not treated.
or the indication is simply that there is a condition at all (to be treated) as opposed to there being no condition requiring rx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
As I recall, the super computer Deep Thought indicated they didn't know the right question and it would take something like 6 million years to calculate it. Is there more to the story?
i'm no deep thought and it's been not quite 6 million years since i read adams' series but if i recall right the formula for the question of what is the answer to life, unverse and everything was what is 9 x 6 (or something like that) which of course does not add up to 42, implying that the answer to life, universe & everything makes no sense.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohnsWood View Post
Wow I'm 44 and it says I am 23. I will make it to 95.7 years. Can I get that in writing?
I've lived a conservative life, so here are my numbers:
Actual: 28
Computed real: 14.8
Avg: 74
Expected: 87.2

What really messed me up is that I drive 22,000+ each year. I have 220,000 miles on my 1997 Maxima. LOL

Another thing is, I'm 6'1", 130lb.. would that put me in the thin or athletic category? I follow the workouts posted on crossfit.org, and I just finished my 2nd marathon. Even tho I'm on the opposite spectrum of obese, it's possible that I could be at risk for other health issues.

Dr J
Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The question is, why would I want to live longer if they can't do anything about the deterioration of parts?
They'll have Earl Schieb for human bodies by then. In by 9 out by 5
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

The scary thing about this is that when I run my numbers the way they were at age 48 (two years into current job) I get a real age of 38.1 and life expectancy of 85.9. But now at age 61, I'm walking arround like a (dead?) 84 year old who has a life expectancy of age 59.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
The scary thing about this is that when I run my numbers the way they were at age 48 (two years into current job) I get a real age of 38.1 and life expectancy of 85.9. But now at age 61, I'm walking arround like a (dead?) 84 year old who has a life expectancy of age 59.

I don't feel so bad about my numbers now.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I don't feel so bad about my numbers now.
As long as my "angel" doesn't get his wings, I should be ok for a while.

There's got to be something wrong with a calculator that gives you a life expectancy of less than your current age.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #35

it could just be saying that you are on borrowed time (like, who isn't?). i got a pretty good score but one bout with alzheimer's and there goes that planning too.

i've mentioned elsewhere, part of the impetus of my e.r. was watching mom dying of alzheimer's and thinking i wanted 20 good years for me. but i've got a lot of long-lifers in the family and a.d. in only one bloodline so i need to be fiscally conservative for those first 20 in case i go an extra 20 years. if i do outlast mom, i'm gonna be partying hard at 80 (fortunately by then my real age will be only 75).

though i love nords' comment on the calculator's precision, it does illuminate how much control we might have over our own longevity. drive less (or less like me), exercising more, sleeping between 8 & 9 hours, all likely to increase life expectancy. maybe you can at least bring yours up to your current age. i bet you can surpass it.

you can't work on your body type but can control weight. you can increase exercise which is good for up to about 2 extra years. use self control over stress alone gives up to 4 extra years according to whomever put this thing together.

we have so much control over this. body chemistry, blood pressure, smoking (i'm 15 years non smoking thank you very much), regularity of exams, digestive tract health. for some things you can't change the past you can fix the present & future.

my ol'man should have been dead long before he died. he lived on borrowed time. but mom finally nagged some sense into him. he gave up cigarettes and booze and salt. mom carried a salt gage with her and stuck it in everything he ate. (so funny for us, so annoying for the ol'man.) but he finally learned. i bet she gave him an extra 10 to 15 years of good quality life.

sure there are some things like family heart history & their longevity for which you have less control over.

but diabetes can be controlled. diet alone gives a 4-year spread. regularity of eating. reduction of drink. this stuff is easy. even happiness is just a few sessions away. same thing with depression (though that can also wash with the aforementioned drink). anxiety. relaxation. love. satisaction with your day. friendships. seat belts. risk taking. all within your control.

try this. plug in some other numbers where you'd like to be. what if i slept more. what if i ate a healthy breakfast every day. what if i exercised more. see what life expectancy you get from all that. and then use that to set goals for redefining how you live your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurzNite View Post
Another thing is, I'm 6'1", 130lb.. would that put me in the thin or athletic category?... it's possible that I could be at risk for other health issues.
yes. go eat a cheeseburger, will ya!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #36

I listened to a podcast today (Fitness Rocks) that had an interview with the author of Blue Zones, a book about the pockets of longevity in the world and why the people there live so long compared to the rest of us. They also have a quiz, try this one, the Vitality Compass
Does ask for registration, though, bummer.

The other one said I was too young to buy alcohol!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Just did the Vitality Compass:
Real age:28
Biological: 24
Life expect: 90
healthy life expect: 77.6
blue zone years: 13
optimize life to add: 7

lazygood4nothinbum: from Iron Man: I just want an American cheezeburger.

Dr J
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I just love how these systems always say that socializing/going to church/living near family members will make one happier/healthier/longer lived. Are they all developed by extroverts?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #39

Quote:
I just love how these systems always say that socializing/going to church/living near family members will make one happier/healthier/longer lived. Are they all developed by extroverts?

But hey they have done studies! They know whats best.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #40

Quote:
for practical purposes, if you have a heart attack or stroke, you're more likely to live longer if someone else is home to dial 911. or if you slip and fall, if you have someone call you within a few days you're less likely to starve to death because you can't get up.

otherwise, all that probably depends on how comfortable a person is with themself. it would make a big difference if one is alone out of choice or due to the lack social skills, for instance. i was surprised the test didn't mention pets as just petting a dog is supposed to reduce blood pressure measurably.

"loneliness is a word to express the pain of being alone...solitude is a word to express the glory of being alone." ~~ paul tillich