calculate your "real" age here

The test options asked about liking J*B. So I lied, said I love it. Is retirement a j*b or a career? Oh, never mind. No retiree option, unless I missed it.
Anyway Real 60, biological 54, live to 84 yeah right.

Last edited:
correct. but do you recall why 42 is the answer?

As I recall, the super computer Deep Thought indicated they didn't know the right question and it would take something like 6 million years to calculate it. Is there more to the story?

Went through it 3 different times jiggling the answers to some of the more subjective questions, just seeing the differences, not necessarily to manipulate the answer.

Bio: 52
Real: 48.9
Expectancy 79.1

All three tries gave me a life expectancy between 76 and 79 years.

Having a little trouble with the question about regular use of prescription drugs. Watching the numbers vary as the slider moves, the more prescription drugs you use, the lower your life expectancy. Not sure I understand -- it seems that if you have a condition that gets treated you should live longer than if you have a condition that is not treated. I wonder if this question is linked to the answers about medical conditions (like BP and Total/HDL).
Maybe I am overanalyzing.

Having a little trouble with the question about regular use of prescription drugs. Watching the numbers vary as the slider moves, the more prescription drugs you use, the lower your life expectancy. Not sure I understand -- it seems that if you have a condition that gets treated you should live longer than if you have a condition that is not treated.

or the indication is simply that there is a condition at all (to be treated) as opposed to there being no condition requiring rx.

As I recall, the super computer Deep Thought indicated they didn't know the right question and it would take something like 6 million years to calculate it. Is there more to the story?

i'm no deep thought and it's been not quite 6 million years since i read adams' series but if i recall right the formula for the question of what is the answer to life, unverse and everything was what is 9 x 6 (or something like that) which of course does not add up to 42, implying that the answer to life, universe & everything makes no sense.

Wow I'm 44 and it says I am 23. I will make it to 95.7 years. Can I get that in writing?

I've lived a conservative life, so here are my numbers:
Actual: 28
Computed real: 14.8
Avg: 74
Expected: 87.2

What really messed me up is that I drive 22,000+ each year. I have 220,000 miles on my 1997 Maxima. LOL

Another thing is, I'm 6'1", 130lb.. would that put me in the thin or athletic category? I follow the workouts posted on crossfit.org, and I just finished my 2nd marathon. Even tho I'm on the opposite spectrum of obese, it's possible that I could be at risk for other health issues.

Dr J

The scary thing about this is that when I run my numbers the way they were at age 48 (two years into current job) I get a real age of 38.1 and life expectancy of 85.9. But now at age 61, I'm walking arround like a (dead?) 84 year old who has a life expectancy of age 59.

The scary thing about this is that when I run my numbers the way they were at age 48 (two years into current job) I get a real age of 38.1 and life expectancy of 85.9. But now at age 61, I'm walking arround like a (dead?) 84 year old who has a life expectancy of age 59.

:2funny:

I don't feel so bad about my numbers now. :p

:2funny:

I don't feel so bad about my numbers now. :p

As long as my "angel" doesn't get his wings, I should be ok for a while. >:D

There's got to be something wrong with a calculator that gives you a life expectancy of less than your current age.

it could just be saying that you are on borrowed time (like, who isn't?). i got a pretty good score but one bout with alzheimer's and there goes that planning too.

i've mentioned elsewhere, part of the impetus of my e.r. was watching mom dying of alzheimer's and thinking i wanted 20 good years for me. but i've got a lot of long-lifers in the family and a.d. in only one bloodline so i need to be fiscally conservative for those first 20 in case i go an extra 20 years. if i do outlast mom, i'm gonna be partying hard at 80 (fortunately by then my real age will be only 75).

though i love nords' comment on the calculator's precision, it does illuminate how much control we might have over our own longevity. drive less (or less like me), exercising more, sleeping between 8 & 9 hours, all likely to increase life expectancy. maybe you can at least bring yours up to your current age. i bet you can surpass it.

you can't work on your body type but can control weight. you can increase exercise which is good for up to about 2 extra years. use self control over stress alone gives up to 4 extra years according to whomever put this thing together.

we have so much control over this. body chemistry, blood pressure, smoking (i'm 15 years non smoking thank you very much), regularity of exams, digestive tract health. for some things you can't change the past you can fix the present & future.

my ol'man should have been dead long before he died. he lived on borrowed time. but mom finally nagged some sense into him. he gave up cigarettes and booze and salt. mom carried a salt gage with her and stuck it in everything he ate. (so funny for us, so annoying for the ol'man.) but he finally learned. i bet she gave him an extra 10 to 15 years of good quality life.

sure there are some things like family heart history & their longevity for which you have less control over.

but diabetes can be controlled. diet alone gives a 4-year spread. regularity of eating. reduction of drink. this stuff is easy. even happiness is just a few sessions away. same thing with depression (though that can also wash with the aforementioned drink). anxiety. relaxation. love. satisaction with your day. friendships. seat belts. risk taking. all within your control.

try this. plug in some other numbers where you'd like to be. what if i slept more. what if i ate a healthy breakfast every day. what if i exercised more. see what life expectancy you get from all that. and then use that to set goals for redefining how you live your life.

Another thing is, I'm 6'1", 130lb.. would that put me in the thin or athletic category?... it's possible that I could be at risk for other health issues.

yes. go eat a cheeseburger, will ya!

Last edited:
I listened to a podcast today (Fitness Rocks) that had an interview with the author of Blue Zones, a book about the pockets of longevity in the world and why the people there live so long compared to the rest of us. They also have a quiz, try this one, the Vitality Compass
Does ask for registration, though, bummer.

The other one said I was too young to buy alcohol! :)

Just did the Vitality Compass:
Real age:28
Biological: 24
Life expect: 90
healthy life expect: 77.6
blue zone years: 13
optimize life to add: 7

lazygood4nothinbum: from Iron Man: I just want an American cheezeburger. :)

Dr J

I just love how these systems always say that socializing/going to church/living near family members will make one happier/healthier/longer lived. Are they all developed by extroverts?

I just love how these systems always say that socializing/going to church/living near family members will make one happier/healthier/longer lived. Are they all developed by extroverts?

But hey they have done studies! ;) They know whats best.

for practical purposes, if you have a heart attack or stroke, you're more likely to live longer if someone else is home to dial 911. or if you slip and fall, if you have someone call you within a few days you're less likely to starve to death because you can't get up.

otherwise, all that probably depends on how comfortable a person is with themself. it would make a big difference if one is alone out of choice or due to the lack social skills, for instance. i was surprised the test didn't mention pets as just petting a dog is supposed to reduce blood pressure measurably.

"loneliness is a word to express the pain of being alone...solitude is a word to express the glory of being alone." ~~ paul tillich

The theory is that you'll be nagged into taking care of yourself. This is apparently very critical for guys, whether they live alone or not.

At least that's what my spouse tells me.

The theory is that you'll be nagged into taking care of yourself. This is apparently very critical for guys, whether they live alone or not.

Sooo - a few Top Sirloin burgers with the guys topped with cheese, mushrooms and BACON(you knew that was coming), a big plate of fries and a few brews watching big screen sports TV adds years, years!

:D Ya gotta love those social networks :rolleyes: ;).

heh heh heh - :cool:

it could just be saying that you are on borrowed time (like, who isn't?)... you can't work on your body type but can control weight. you can increase exercise which is good for up to about 2 extra years. use self control over stress alone gives up to 4 extra years according to whomever put this thing together.

we have so much control over this. body chemistry, blood pressure, smoking (i'm 15 years non smoking thank you very much), regularity of exams, digestive tract health. for some things you can't change the past you can fix the present & future....sure there are some things like family heart history & their longevity for which you have less control over.

but diabetes can be controlled. diet alone gives a 4-year spread. regularity of eating. reduction of drink. this stuff is easy. even happiness is just a few sessions away. same thing with depression (though that can also wash with the aforementioned drink). anxiety. relaxation. love. satisaction with your day. friendships. seat belts. risk taking. all within your control.

try this. plug in some other numbers where you'd like to be. what if i slept more. what if i ate a healthy breakfast every day. what if i exercised more. see what life expectancy you get from all that. and then use that to set goals for redefining how you live your life....

Thanks for the thread and pep talk, Lazy. I know I can improve my odds, I've done it so many times before :D >:D! You should have seen me after three months on Ornish. But meditation, etc., etc. is no substitute for tackling the source, jumping out of the empl*yment box. See ya soon on the other side (that is, retirement).

ok this thing is weird

biological age: 24
real age: 11.8
average expectancy: 74
my expectancy: 86.2

Of course, since these were studies and not experiments (that is, they didn't flip coins and say:

"OK, Johnson, it's heads, so you need to go out and socialize for the next 30 years."

or

"OK, Mary, it's tails, so you have to hang by yourself for the rest of your life."),

we don't know whether extroverts will live longer even if they don't socialize. Also, no evidence that forcing an introvert to socialize will help him/her.

For some reason, I trust this one a lot more NMFN: The Longevity Game

Insurance companies are pretty good at this stuff, although the results here are much less exciting.

Of course, since these were studies and not experiments (that is, they didn't flip coins and say:

"OK, Johnson, it's heads, so you need to go out and socialize for the next 30 years."

or

"OK, Mary, it's tails, so you have to hang by yourself for the rest of your life."),

we don't know whether extroverts will live longer even if they don't socialize. Also, no evidence that forcing an introvert to socialize will help him/her.

In his April 3, 2008 column at Salon.com, "Since You Asked," Cary Tennis responded to a letter titled, "I'm a college student with no natural social skills." His response goes into the U.S. bias towards extroverts and most interesting to me, he describes how social events exhaust introverts. I don't know how to link it but it can be found at Salon.com in his "Since You Asked Directory." It has a hundred or so interesting responses from readers.

In his April 3, 2008 column at Salon.com, "Since You Asked," Cary Tennis responded to a letter titled, "I'm a college student with no natural social skills." His response goes into the U.S. bias towards extroverts and most interesting to me, he describes how social events exhaust introverts. I don't know how to link it but it can be found at Salon.com in his "Since You Asked Directory." It has a hundred or so interesting responses from readers.

I'm a college student with no natural social skills, a Since You Asked column by Cary Tennis | Salon Life

for practical purposes, if you have a heart attack or stroke, you're more likely to live longer if someone else is home to dial 911....[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm wondering if this is a popular misconception. It really doesn't pan out in my personal experience. Since (what are the stix?) 50% of first heart attacks are fatal, a goal is to get into treatment before it happens. I found that people around me at work and at home who knew my symptoms were totally unhelpful in deciding when to dial 911, someone at work literally bit his nails. It turned out to be entirely my decision when to try to talk myself into a cardiology referral (which failed), and later when to call for emergency advice.

One person who did help was someone I saw occasionally. We were at a wedding and I turned beet red. She said, "there is something wrong." I said, "no, I just can't take the heat." But she insisted, "there is really something wrong." Two weeks later, when I developed another symptom, I remembered what she said, and started the process of dealing with it. It took three weeks to get into the emergency room but they say I would have had a major heart attack within two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom