Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I just love how these systems always say that socializing/going to church/living near family members will make one happier/healthier/longer lived. Are they all developed by extroverts?
The theory is that you'll be nagged into taking care of yourself. This is apparently very critical for guys, whether they live alone or not.

At least that's what my spouse tells me.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The theory is that you'll be nagged into taking care of yourself. This is apparently very critical for guys, whether they live alone or not.
Sooo - a few Top Sirloin burgers with the guys topped with cheese, mushrooms and BACON(you knew that was coming), a big plate of fries and a few brews watching big screen sports TV adds years, years!

Ya gotta love those social networks .

heh heh heh -

Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
it could just be saying that you are on borrowed time (like, who isn't?)... you can't work on your body type but can control weight. you can increase exercise which is good for up to about 2 extra years. use self control over stress alone gives up to 4 extra years according to whomever put this thing together.

we have so much control over this. body chemistry, blood pressure, smoking (i'm 15 years non smoking thank you very much), regularity of exams, digestive tract health. for some things you can't change the past you can fix the present & future....sure there are some things like family heart history & their longevity for which you have less control over.

but diabetes can be controlled. diet alone gives a 4-year spread. regularity of eating. reduction of drink. this stuff is easy. even happiness is just a few sessions away. same thing with depression (though that can also wash with the aforementioned drink). anxiety. relaxation. love. satisaction with your day. friendships. seat belts. risk taking. all within your control.

try this. plug in some other numbers where you'd like to be. what if i slept more. what if i ate a healthy breakfast every day. what if i exercised more. see what life expectancy you get from all that. and then use that to set goals for redefining how you live your life....

Thanks for the thread and pep talk, Lazy. I know I can improve my odds, I've done it so many times before ! You should have seen me after three months on Ornish. But meditation, etc., etc. is no substitute for tackling the source, jumping out of the empl*yment box. See ya soon on the other side (that is, retirement).
Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

ok this thing is weird

biological age: 24
real age: 11.8
average expectancy: 74
my expectancy: 86.2
Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just love how these systems always say that socializing/going to church/living near family members will make one happier/healthier/longer lived. Are they all developed by extroverts?
Of course, since these were studies and not experiments (that is, they didn't flip coins and say:

"OK, Johnson, it's heads, so you need to go out and socialize for the next 30 years."

or

"OK, Mary, it's tails, so you have to hang by yourself for the rest of your life."),

we don't know whether extroverts will live longer even if they don't socialize. Also, no evidence that forcing an introvert to socialize will help him/her.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
But hey they have done studies! They know whats best.
That's what they said over at eHarmony too

Here's one that seems a lil more realistic
Look younger, live longer with RealAge -- RealAge Test
Says I'm +3.1, which's 31.5years old.

Dr J
Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For some reason, I trust this one a lot more NMFN: The Longevity Game

Insurance companies are pretty good at this stuff, although the results here are much less exciting.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Of course, since these were studies and not experiments (that is, they didn't flip coins and say:

"OK, Johnson, it's heads, so you need to go out and socialize for the next 30 years."

or

"OK, Mary, it's tails, so you have to hang by yourself for the rest of your life."),

we don't know whether extroverts will live longer even if they don't socialize. Also, no evidence that forcing an introvert to socialize will help him/her.
In his April 3, 2008 column at Salon.com, "Since You Asked," Cary Tennis responded to a letter titled, "I'm a college student with no natural social skills." His response goes into the U.S. bias towards extroverts and most interesting to me, he describes how social events exhaust introverts. I don't know how to link it but it can be found at Salon.com in his "Since You Asked Directory." It has a hundred or so interesting responses from readers.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
In his April 3, 2008 column at Salon.com, "Since You Asked," Cary Tennis responded to a letter titled, "I'm a college student with no natural social skills." His response goes into the U.S. bias towards extroverts and most interesting to me, he describes how social events exhaust introverts. I don't know how to link it but it can be found at Salon.com in his "Since You Asked Directory." It has a hundred or so interesting responses from readers.
I'm a college student with no natural social skills, a Since You Asked column by Cary Tennis | Salon Life
Old 05-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
for practical purposes, if you have a heart attack or stroke, you're more likely to live longer if someone else is home to dial 911....[/SIZE][/FONT]
I'm wondering if this is a popular misconception. It really doesn't pan out in my personal experience. Since (what are the stix?) 50% of first heart attacks are fatal, a goal is to get into treatment before it happens. I found that people around me at work and at home who knew my symptoms were totally unhelpful in deciding when to dial 911, someone at work literally bit his nails. It turned out to be entirely my decision when to try to talk myself into a cardiology referral (which failed), and later when to call for emergency advice.

One person who did help was someone I saw occasionally. We were at a wedding and I turned beet red. She said, "there is something wrong." I said, "no, I just can't take the heat." But she insisted, "there is really something wrong." Two weeks later, when I developed another symptom, I remembered what she said, and started the process of dealing with it. It took three weeks to get into the emergency room but they say I would have had a major heart attack within two weeks.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

47, 36, 87.

Hmmm... only 40 years left, and so many things I still want to do. I may need to ER sooner than I had planned.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
For some reason, I trust this one a lot more NMFN: The Longevity Game

Insurance companies are pretty good at this stuff, although the results here are much less exciting.
The NMFN test says 88. The Real Age test says 87. I sense a pattern (and not a bad one).
Old 05-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent summary. I really enjoyed the original "inner introvert" article.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I'm wondering if this is a popular misconception. It really doesn't pan out in my personal experience. Since (what are the stix?) 50% of first heart attacks are fatal, a goal is to get into treatment before it happens.
my point was not for just something that preventative care might help ward off. there are lots of situations where a partner might assist longevity. take falling off a ladder while working on the house, for instance.

a good friend lost his mom while she was living alone. fell face first onto a hard surface and died in her own pool of blood. maybe if someone was home to call for help she might have lived longer. that's all i meant.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
my point was not for just something that preventative care might help ward off. there are lots of situations where a partner might assist longevity. take falling off a ladder while working on the house, for instance.

a good friend lost his mom while she was living alone. fell face first onto a hard surface and died in her own pool of blood. maybe if someone was home to call for help she might have lived longer. that's all i meant.
Yeah, I guess they could help hold the ladder.. I'm afraid my point is that "my people" seem incompetent in a crunch, even the eagle scout and the buddies with medical training. I relate to a skit on "3 and a Half Men" where Charley doesn't notice his brother flying off the roof on an un-held ladder. (It's hard to have fun with this thread.)

Sorry about your friend's mom. That would be a clear-cut case of knowing it's time to call for help and to get the first aid thing going.

My uncle fell into his dinner and was gone before anyone noticed anything was wrong. Seems a better way to go than spending weeks in a hospital with tubes, etc.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Biological age: 35 (36 in 12 days....yuck)
Real Age: 17.4 (ALMOST legal to drink....)
Life Expectancy: 91.6