Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
FYI to anyone attempting to use the Covered CA site, I saw this on the top page:

------------------------------
Announcements
We will be performing regular maintenance beginning Saturday, October 5, at 8 pm through Monday, October 7, 2013, at 3 am.
------------------------------

One can only hope
Seems to be working and I started browsing it this morning. Anybody know how to tell if a plan is multi-state?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Seems to be working and I started browsing it this morning. Anybody know how to tell if a plan is multi-state?
This link is to the OMP home page for multistate options. It has a map of states and MSP status. If you click on yours a list comes up with the plan names. Multi-State Plan Program and the Health Insurance Marketplace

Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
You would think someone would have the common sense to phrase that simply "maintenance" rather than "regular maintenance."
It's just web weenie system administration jargon. "Regular maintenance" generally refers to preplanned periodic maintenance events. "We plan to take the site down each weekend during the rollout period to install the production team's patches and update site content." One-off "Maintenance" shutdowns generally refer to making repairs that don't require an immediate shutdown, but can be delayed a few hours. This would include some hardware fixes.

Like pretty much every piece of terminology, this is susceptible to becoming 'corporate-speak', mindlessly emitted jargon that does not mean what the listener thinks it means. :-)
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It's just web weenie system administration jargon. "Regular maintenance" generally refers to preplanned periodic maintenance events. "We plan to take the site down each weekend during the rollout period to install the production team's patches and update site content." One-off "Maintenance" shutdowns generally refer to making repairs that don't require an immediate shutdown, but can be delayed a few hours. This would include some hardware fixes.

Like pretty much every piece of terminology, this is susceptible to becoming 'corporate-speak', mindlessly emitted jargon that does not mean what the listener thinks it means. :-)
Correct, but what I was reacting to is that a whole weekend down is not what the standard "regular maintenance" is about. No one regularly schedules websites to be down for the whole weekend. This is let's pray we can fixit maintenance or to be non-specific just maintenance..
Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This link is to the OMP home page for multistate options. It has a map of states and MSP status
Thanks for the link. I'm really shocked at how many states have no MSP options.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Correct, but what I was reacting to is that a whole weekend down is not what the standard "regular maintenance" is about. No one regularly schedules websites to be down for the whole weekend. This is let's pray we can fixit maintenance or to be non-specific just maintenance..
Wildly offtopic now, but... The State of California is... noteworthy... for it's web sites. One of the "Best Web Sites Evar" was the Registrar's Office for the California State University system campuses back in the early 2000's. The silly thing kept office hours. Yes, the web site was only available from 8:30 AM until 5 PM Monday-Friday. I'm pretty sure the sophisticated back end processing consisted of a printer, from which an employee would regularly remove paper and then FAX to the appropriate office.

Just shutting down for the weekend as part of their rollout is pretty mild stuff. They also had shutdowns planned for the middle of the night last week for more urgent changes. This isn't exactly a 'sky is the limit' bigtime commercial project rollout. It's more of a 'built by the lowest bidder', 'compliant with state and federal privacy regulations for medical and tax data', proceeding with caution sort of project. If you want to think of it as a live beta test, well, yeah. The preferred terms are 'rapid prototyping' and 'spiral development'. Yaaay! Buzzwords!

Folks who are really curious about how the web site is being bolted together can check out the UX 2014 project, which provides a reference front-end implementation:
http://www.ux2014.org
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Also it's not closed 'the whole weekend'. Only Saturday evening through to early Monday morning.