Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do think your microbiome can change based on what you eat. Now the actual microorganism species may not change, but the actual ratios of the amounts of bacteria will change.

Your gene expression will also change based on your diet.

So if you have all the enzymes being produced to digest carbohydrates and then switch to a carbohydrate-free high-fat diet, then it will take a little while for new enzymes to be expressed at the levels needed to make use of all those fats you are eating. You may even lose weight for a little while, but then your body will adapt to the new diet (that is, your cells will express the molecules for the biochemical pathways to make use of the levels of the new types of substances they get) and you will gain that weight back.

One might say the same thing about exercise: It will take a little while for your body to adapt to exercise, so calorie use could change, too, when adapted.

BTW, chocolate is a laxative, so eating chocolate does not mean you will gain weight. Of course, if the chocolate is mixed with sugar, then that's another story.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

And more food for thought: It is well-known that many species have symbiotic relationships with microorganisms in their guts that are quite helpful. Two that come to mind are termites and cows.
Termite digestion:
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journa...micro3182.html

Cow digestion:
How Cows Eat Grass

Humans do not chew their cud, but why shouldn't microorganisms in human guts be involved in digestion?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
My (less than perfect) understanding is that your gut flora's permanent home is as a bacterial film in the mucus lining your small and large intestines. The colonoscopy cleansing doesn't really affect that, but rather flushes out the larger "stuff" (undigested food and bacteria all mixed together) that is normally transiting through.
I read somewhere a week or so ago that the Appendix was discovered to actually have a function... as a place for the good bacteria to hide out. (or something along that line.) I cannot site the source, however (didn't work too hard on the search).
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #64
Confused about dryer sheets

What is really amazing is the amount of food to maintain weight as we get older is so much less. Me 59 and 6 feet tall. Endurance junkie so I run and bike 100s of miles a month and can gain weight if I eat and drink too much. A slice of bread 100 calories a cookie 100 calories 1 oz of cheese 100 calories, a beer , 175 a glass of wine 150. 1800 calories a day is what I need to maintain 155 pounds on me. Crazy, but we have a society with so much food and fast food, no wonder everyone gains weight.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpster56 View Post
What is really amazing is the amount of food to maintain weight as we get older is so much less. Me 59 and 6 feet tall. Endurance junkie so I run and bike 100s of miles a month and can gain weight if I eat and drink too much. A slice of bread 100 calories a cookie 100 calories 1 oz of cheese 100 calories, a beer , 175 a glass of wine 150. 1800 calories a day is what I need to maintain 155 pounds on me. Crazy, but we have a society with so much food and fast food, no wonder everyone gains weight.

I'm also heavily into fitness but have to watch my weight. A 4-hour bike ride burns about 1,600 calories but I don't do those often and it would be really easy to scarf down that many calories of processed food if I didn't read labels.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpster56 View Post
Crazy, but we have a society with so much food and fast food, no wonder everyone gains weight.

This is my constant recurring thought, even 2 years after losing 50 lbs. No wonder I gained so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm also heavily into fitness but have to watch my weight. A 4-hour bike ride burns about 1,600 calories but I don't do those often and it would be really easy to scarf down that many calories of processed food if I didn't read labels.

Wow. I wish I burned only 1,600 in 4 hours, I wouldn't have to eat so much!

I burn 750-850 an hour! This is very accurate because I use a heart monitor and a power meter. I ride 10-15 hours a week, so I eat lots of extra food!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #68

Ever since I got a Fitbit wristband I've gotten more attuned to what I can eat vs. how many I am eating. To maintain my weight (5' 10" 180) seems to range between 1800-2400 calories based on my activity level. Their food database function keeps me much more in tune with what I should eat vs. what I am eating, not just calories but how those calories are spread. I am not dieting so much as try to eat more balanced, and still allowing myself my sweet tooth splurges, just in moderation (e.g. taking 3 days to eat a bag of jelly beans instead of one hour ).
Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
Wow. I wish I burned only 1,600 in 4 hours, I wouldn't have to eat so much!

I burn 750-850 an hour! This is very accurate because I use a heart monitor and a power meter. I ride 10-15 hours a week, so I eat lots of extra food!

Similar to me. At my last physical the doctor estimated I need about 4,000 cals to maintain. Big, tall guy with very active lifestyle. Most of my workouts result in a 800-1000 cal burn. Personal best high was 1,427. If biking it can go higher for longer rides. My motto in retirement is BURN CALORIES!!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I get a calorie read when I use my Concept 2, and I use my Fitbit and and Excel sheet to estimate my calorie usage, but more as a correlate with MET-minutes to keep track of adequate exercise for metabolic health.

I have never had a clue how many calories I was eating, and I have maintained weight in a very narrow band around 150 for 60 years. I went down in South America because I could not get enough food, and I went up during college when doing intense sports that built muscle.

It just seems to be one of the few "issues" that I do not have to think about.

Ha
Old 04-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I get a calorie read when I use my Concept 2, and I use my Fitbit and and Excel sheet to estimate my calorie usage, but more as a correlate with MET-minutes to keep track of adequate exercise for metabolic health.

I have never had a clue how many calories I was eating, and I have maintained weight in a very narrow band around 150 for 60 years. I went down in South America because I could not get enough food, and I went up during college when doing intense sports that built muscle.

It just seems to be one of the few "issues" that I do not have to think about.

Ha
I doubt most people (who aren't trying to lose weight) track calories consumed. As, mentioned, I track calories burned but even then have to watch my weight as I enjoy eating and drinking too much. What is your goal for met minutes?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
What is your goal for met minutes?
Once I saw the correspondence, I just leave the data in Kcal. In Kcal, I aim for 3500/7days.

Thanks for asking. I try not to fall below 3000, or go much above 4000 unless I do something special. This is well below many active people on the board I think.

Ha
Old 04-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #73

That's actually quite good. Over the past 3 years I have averaged about 3,800 cals per week but Im a lot bigger than you are. That would be for just my aerobic workouts. Don't generally track my training sessions.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stumbled upon this interesting podcast on my regular rounds. It touches on all the major points made throughout this thread.
If you like the podcast format, there are several interesting topics at the gastropod link.

Quote:
The calorie seems to be an obvious measurement for food. But, in fact, it took hundreds of years and thousands of experiments to nail down what exactly the calorie means, both as a measurement of the food itself (that is, how much energy is contained in the form of a cheeseburger) and a measurement of consumption (how much energy we cheeseburger-eating humans burn as we go about our daily lives). With assistance from nutritionist Marion Nestle, author of Why Calories Count: From science to politics, we trace the calorie's earliest history, from an obsessive-compulsive Italian who invented a special chair with which to measure everything he ate, drank, and excreted over a thirty-year period, to the French chemist who put a guinea pig in a coffee urn to measure how much heat it gave off. Then we travel to the USDA laboratories in Beltsville, Maryland, to check out the way scientists measure calories today: by putting people in tricked-out walk-in coolers and freeze-drying their feces.
https://gastropod.com/the-end-of-the-calorie/
Old 04-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #75

Here's a link pointing to evidence that it's way more about what you eat than exercise, which disproves the 1958 "calories in, calories out" theory that is based on idea that a pound of human fat represents about 3,500 calories; therefore cutting 500 calories per day, through diet or physical activity, results in about a pound of weight loss per week.

Quote:
The government and the food industry are doling out unscientific advice

Since 1980, the obesity prevalence has doubled worldwide with about 13 percent of the global population now registering as obese, according to the World Health Organization. In the United States, nearly 70 percent of the population is either overweight or obese.
A lack of exercise and too many calories have been depicted as equal causes of the crisis. But as researchers put it in an article in BMJ, "You cannot outrun a bad diet."
http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/1151880...source=twitter
Old 04-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #76

Thanks for the link sengsational. I think it was a good article but I don't really agree that it 'disproves' the CICO hypothesis unless one takes the theory very literally. I think what it does do is highlight the fact that people are just eating way too many calories and that diet is the main culprit in weight gain. I don't think that this comes as a surprise to anyone at all. Exercise has many health benefits but in the face of super-sized, super-sweet, super-salty, super-fatty foods, it just can't compete!! I thought Michael Moss's book about the food industry was very illuminating in the area of the how the pursuit of greater sales really has had humongous health consequences.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

There's no question that calories in = calories out.

But that has little to do with why people become obese.

I think too many people (including governments) try to oversimplify things to the point of becoming irrelevant.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Part of the issue is why people are eating to much. CICO does not go far enough, IMHO.

If the local hardware store is so crowded that one can not even get into it, the reason is usually that more people have gone into it that came out. Simple, right?

But, that is not very useful information.

Useful information might be that the store is having a 50% off sale for today only. Or that hurricane Jezebel will hit in 48 hours. This is more useful information that knowing only that more people have gone into the store than came out.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
One gadget I bought was a food scale. I never knew how inaccurate measuring cups were! My breakfast Oatmeal the cup is over by 25%! Most everything else is too.
I've been doing sustained weight loss for about 8 months now...totally agree that actually measuring what you eat is key. I now measure my breakfast every morning. Hard to do that at lunch b/c I eat out with colleagues every day, but I've done enough of it at home that my "eye" for calories has gotten better.

That + brutal adherence to logging what I eat in MyFitnessPal (using the bar code scanner whenever possible) has made a huge difference. I now have a rule that "if it doesn't go in the app, it doesn't go in my mouth."
Old 04-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #80

That is a GREAT article! People don't want to focus on the "calories in" part, b/c, honestly, it is hard and requires some self-deprivation. It also requires a lot of planning and time.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote