Can Blood pressure medicine cause extreme constipation?

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been taking LOSARTAN a blood pressure medicine since about 6 months. Lately I have experienced constipation, almost everyday. Has anyone suffered from this kind of drug related abnormality?
Are there any alternative medicines beside Accupril & Losartan? I have tried both these. Accupril gave me dry persistent cough. I need to try some other blood pressure medicine. Any ideas before I visit my doctor?
Thanks.

I take Accupril and at the beginning use to give me dry coughs but it went away. I'm not sure if it was due winter when I was first taking the medication or it was one of the side effects. I don't have dry coughs anymore and I have been taking Accupril for more than 10 year. 25mg twice a day.

If I had a choice between constipation and dry cough, I would choose dry cough. If I had choice between constipation and high blood pressure, I would choose constipation.

BTW I'm in much better health by taking medication and other illness dropped by maintaining my blood pressure. I hope you'll continue to take some sort of medication to maintain your blood pressure.

I take Benicar 20mg, and I sometimes have the opposite effect...! Don't know if it's the Benicar or the 81 mg aspirin....or just my not so great diet.

I take Benicar 20mg, and I sometimes have the opposite effect...! Don't know if it's the Benicar or the 81 mg aspirin....or just my not so great diet.
I've been taking Benicar 20mg for 3 years. It immediately brought my blood pressure down from 180 to 120, and I've never noticed any side effects. I gather that the main side effect (still uncommon) of Benicar is dizziness (which I don't have). However, other individual patients have reported lots of bad things from taking Benicar -- all kinds of stuff. I looked here, Losartan Side Effects | Drugs.com, for side effects of Losartan, and constipation is mentioned, but only among a host of other rare and unsubstantiated side effects.

Last edited:
Sandhog - Accupril is an ACE inhibitor. ACE inhibitors can cause cough.
I take Accupril and at the beginning use to give me dry coughs but it went away. I'm not sure if it was due winter when I was first taking the medication or it was one of the side effects.

My personal opinion is that the medication has nothing to do with it. Probably something else. Should get it checked out by a real doctor, though

If you don't already, try taking magnesium (250mg). It has benefits for BP and if you are like a lot of people and don't eat enough veggies, it can help with this problem.

Thanks Doc. It's good to have a MD on the board as a member. I have an opposite problem of ED which keeps me up at nights, what should I do, Doc? :LOL:

I totally forgot about this, but when I was started on an ACE Inhibitor, I had this side effect. I would seem to have an involuntary small cough almost continuously. It was rather annoying, but not so bad - it was more like clearing your throat than a full cough. Kind of like a nervous reaction. And it faded away over time, maybe strongest for two weeks, then after a month or two I just forgot about it as it decreased over time.

-ERD50

I totally forgot about this, but when I was started on an ACE Inhibitor, I had this side effect. I would seem to have an involuntary small cough almost continuously. It was rather annoying, but not so bad - it was more like clearing your throat than a full cough. Kind of like a nervous reaction. And it faded away over time, maybe strongest for two weeks, then after a month or two I just forgot about it as it decreased over time.

-ERD50
When I was on a ACE Inhibitor, I had a cough that would not quit. I am now on a Angiotension II Receptor Antagonist (what a name!) with much better results.

The problem with the latter is that these are newer, brand name drugs that can be very expensive.

I have been taking BP meds for over 30 years, sometimes 3 different meds at a time. I think I've tried most of them. Some work, some don't work and some have bad side effects.

Back
Top Bottom