Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW had her eyes done (and her lids were drooping, as are mine now) and it made a world of difference and she's very happy with it, which makes me happy.
She was always reluctant to have surgery, but this is pretty minor.

Having made a relationship with a plastic surgeon, she got the ads about the "Coolsculpting" which is sort of topical freezing of skin in place of liposuction. I didn't think she needed it but she wanted to try it. A total waste of money, no effects either of us can tell. Of course, for more money they can do more of it for better results! I'd only advise that if you have "throwaway money" for it.

We both do about 4-5 days a week at gym or other exercise and that's all we need.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is good to hear. Mr. A. has developed some excess eyelid skin that his eye Dr. thinks is interfering with his vision. She thinks he can get it fixed on insurance, since it's medically necessary, but he's reluctant to get the surgery because it's Plastic Surgery.

This is the same man who thought nothing of having a surgeon make a one-inch hole in his forehead to remove a skin cancer. Somehow, that was different

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
DW had her eyes done (and her lids were drooping, as are mine now) ....
She was always reluctant to have surgery, but this is pretty minor.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #23

I think eye lid surgeries can change the whole face, sometimes for the better, but sometimes for the worse, from what I can tell from seeing photos of celebrities...(Kenny R and Renee Z, although Renee looks normal again..)
Old 04-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #24

My late father had the eyelid surgery and it was considered medical. Helped him a lot.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Was listening to a plastic surgeon being interviewed and he was talking about a newer non-invasive procedure where they wrap something around you that freezes your fat cells which causes the fat cells to die and pass through your body. He claims it results in a 25% reduction in fat cells. Not sure how effective it is and he didn't mention the cost for the procedure but it sounds better then going under a knife.
It is better than surgery if it does what you want. But, that is entirely effective for someone who actually needs a tummy tuck instead. What most people don't understand is that a tummy tuck has very little to do with reducing fat. A tummy tuck is not a weight or fat loss method. The main things that that a Tummy Tuck does is (1) remove loose skin and (2) repair the underlying abdominal muscle. Each of these have to be considered. For most women, it is the loose skin and muscle repair that is important.

I have personally lost 65 pounds and am at a normal BMI. I have consulted with two plastic surgeons who both agree that what I have is primarily loose skin, not excess fat. I have a little excess fat in my abdominal area but not much. So, the kind of procedure you are talking about wouldn't do much for me.

So, there are 3 parts to this:

Fat Removal - This is what you are talking about. This is also what liposuction does.

The procedure you are talking about can make things worse for someone with loose skin. Procedures that remove fat only (such as liposuction) can be OK for someone who has a relatively small amount of fat they want to remove in an area and who have skin with good elasticity. And, if this is not someone who needs muscle repair.

Loose Skin - With pregnancy or excess weight the skin often stretches out. In some cases, with weight loss it springs back into place. My husband lost about 85 pounds and his skin did that. I lost 65 pounds and mine didn't. Pregnancy can also stretch out skin. Think of an elastic band that has been stretched so much that it loses its elasticity. Skin is the same way. Sometimes, it simply loses its ability to go back into place. Nothing will make my skin go back into place. The only way to get rid of it is through surgery. If anyone really wants to see what this looks like, send me a PM and I will send you a link to the pictures I have on my blog. You might think if you saw it that this was fat. But, in reality, it is mostly loose skin. In a tummy tuck that loose skin is cut away.

Muscle Repair - This is really, really important. Most women who need loose skin removed also need muscle repair. This is mostly due to pregnancy but can be due to excess weight. During pregnancy or times of heavy weight, your rectus abdominis muscle can stretch apart. Some people call this muscle separation. They don't actually separate but they stretch apart. This is called a diastasis recti. When you have this you tend to have a protruding abdomen because the abdominal muscles on one side are relatively far apart from the abdominal muscles on the other side.

This is another thing that often simply does not improve after pregnancy is over or after weight loss. Sometimes it does and that is fine. But, for many people it simply doesn't. No amount of diet or exercise helps in some instances (I work with a trainer twice a week and do other exercise...none of that has helped this problem). In a proper abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) the surgeon will actually stitch together the two sides of the abdominal muscles to bring them together as they were originally. I mention this because sometimes people are unhappy with their tummy tuck and find out later that the surgeon did not do muscle repair and only removed skin. The muscle repair is really important to do for lasting results if you have diastasis recti.

So -- things like Liposuction or Coolsculpting or other non-invasive methods may be perfectly fine for someone who has a little fat to remove. They do nothing whatsoever to help someone who has lots of loose skin or who has muscle laxity. And....that is why one of the procedures I will be having is a tummy tuck.

(I am not a doctor...just talking about what I have learned from my research for a tummy tuck and other surgery).
Old 04-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This thread and the reaction to it remind why it is much better to be unmarried.

Who cares what a boyfriend or girlfriend does with what is in fact their own money? But it might be annoying to have to cough up 1/2 of $10-15 thousand dollars to avoid the dreaded other side of "happy wife, happy life". Which I assume would be unhappy wife, hell on earth.

From where I sit, it appears that unhappy wives are not exactly rare.

Ha
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This thread and the reaction to it remind why it is much better to be unmarried.

Who cares what a boyfriend or girlfriend does with what is in fact their own money? But it might be annoying to have to cough up 1/2 of $10-15 thousand dollars to avoid the dreaded other side of "happy wife, happy life". Which I assume would be unhappy wife, hell on earth.

From where I sit, it appears that unhappy wives are not exactly rare.

Ha

I agree with the "not being married" part but I know a number of unhappy husbands too- it's not just wives.
I'm just thankful I'm not the cause of an unhappy spouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #28

Friend of mine who had gastric bypass years ago showed me the flap of tummy her weight loss left behind.

She had a tummy tuck and it made a big difference for her.

Shop around, not just for price but for low complication rate too. Only you can decide if you can afford it.

I could use one myself....

Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #29

Will you get any kind of a tax break? It's pretty easy to run up medical deductions over 10% of AGI when you throw that in.

As for it being "her" money- well, when you're married any chunk of money like that affects both your futures. I say that as a wife whose 65-year old husband retired when we married, while I worked another 12 years, to age 61. I still felt that any extravagance of mine was still a joint decision. Fortunately we have similar values!

I agree, though, that your wife should go for it since it will make her happy and it won't break the budget.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess because it's elective/not medically necessary you can't get it done at a military hospital? Just a thought 'cuz you mentioned a military pension.

O
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shop around, but you don't get to say no on this one. I had a similar discussion at the Cleveland Clinic 3-4 years ago, was going to be about 10k. Backed away from it because the doctor was very frank about the downtime, recovery time, and potential negatives (slim, but not for me). Make sure she really knows what she's facing - not "back to normal in a week" - walk away from any doctor feeding that line of BS, and operate only in a good hospital.

She's young enough that she'll get her money's worth in terms of bikini-years ahead of year.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I agree with the "not being married" part but I know a number of unhappy husbands too- it's not just wives.
I'm just thankful I'm not the cause of an unhappy spouse.

Yes, you are certainly right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ha
Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
You did not say what the surgery was, but if it makes you feel better too, go with it.

And when it doubt, go larger. They are worth every penny. $13.5K is too much, shop around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Ick.
OK, we now know the OP is talking about a tummy tuck. But, at first that wasn't clear.

Senator's response (in his honest mistakingness) was correct: if in doubt go larger. It's kind of like buying a flat screen TV: when you're buying it, it seems plenty large enough, but after a week of watching it, you realize you probably should have bought one (or, in this case two), a bit larger.

note: I added Amethyst's quote because I liked it.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Sure, but you can hang the darn TV on the wall when your back gets tired of carrying it around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
OK, we now know the OP is talking about a tummy tuck. But, at first that wasn't clear.

Senator's response (in his honest mistakingness) was correct: if in doubt go larger. It's kind of like buying a flat screen TV: when you're buying it, it seems plenty large enough, but after a week of watching it, you realize you probably should have bought one (or, in this case two), a bit larger.

note: I added Amethyst's quote because I liked it.