Join Early Retirement Today

"Can I afford it" - surgical procedure
Old 04-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Can I afford it" - surgical procedure

Hi all,
I just wanted to get some opinions here and see if anyone else has paid a nice chunk of money toward procedures or cosmetic/health related surgeries. The wife wants to get a surgical procedure done now that we are done with having kids and I am having a hard time coming to terms with the costs of this. We do live below our means and we both want to FIRE by late 40s. She really wants it(I think it's more of a self confidence thing). Of course, she works and makes around $85k/yr, so she says it's her money she would use.
Procedure costs $13,500.
Our investments total around $275k and we own two homes with approx. $90k equity between the two. Also I will get a military pension worth approx $48k/yr in 10 yrs. we are both 34 yrs old.

Whats your opinion on our financial situation and "can we afford it."
Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's easy.
It will be paid for with her money.
It will make her happy.
End of discussion.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree.

The better question is why are you asking us?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

You did not say what the surgery was, but if it makes you feel better too, go with it.

And when it doubt, go larger. They are worth every penny. $13.5K is too much, shop around.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ahh ok. Part of me asking is is this a fair price. It sounds high to me.

Also I would rather her not get it. Not only because the price but I love her how she is and I just don't think her stomach is bad.
Surgery- tummy tuck with liposuction and fixing a protruding hernia. That's it.

I think she needs to shop around more. She thinks that the most expensive plastic surgeon has to be the best. She was thinking this type of surgery would be between $5-7k
Help me out here!
Thank you!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

First she should get a couple of opinions regarding the procedure and price.
Then, yes I say support her in doing this. Yes I get you love her as she is but she would not be considering this if what she is having corrected did not bother her.
Regardless of what people say about accepting ourselves as we are, the reality is she feels that this is something she wants done and probably will continue to want it done until it's done.
So, path of least resistance for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

$13.5K is cheap. Divorces start at 50% of assets.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
$13.5K is cheap. Divorces start at 50% of assets.
What he said. And 50% is if you're lucky.

Seriously, I think there's little doubt that as a couple you can afford it, and that if it wasn't important to her she wouldn't be willing to risk going into surgery and enduring the pain this is going to involve. That one part is important to understand - this is REALLY important to her! Being an obstacle is going to cost a bunch in long term resentment that may never be completely overcome.

Both of you have been LBYM for a long time but once in a while everyone wants to splurge a bit just for no better reason than "I wanna..." and this sounds like one of those times. Especially when it comes to something like intimate plastic surgery connected to self-image, self-confidence, and all that stuff. Tread carefully if your response is anything other than an enthusiastic "Yes Dear!"
Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

No question. Happy wife = happy life.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
No question. Happy wife = happy life.
+1000
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I would bet that some of the cost will be covered since she has a hernia . Go for it !
Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. You can afford it. At your age, my DW and I had very little asset. She wanted to spend $4000 to have braces. We agonized it but decided she deserves them.

Today, she has a beautiful smile and that $4000 did not impact our retirement plan at all.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #13

My girlfriend got a chin implant or whatever they call it. She had a small chin and she said it's bothered her for years. I couldn't see the difference before or after but she did. Her husband thought she had more confidence after the surgery. If you can afford it, get the surgery.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Resentments turn out to be bad things. She should have this procedure.

Rich
Old 04-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
.... Also I would rather her not get it. Not only because the price but I love her how she is and I just don't think her stomach is bad.
It's great that you love her how she is, but maybe she doesn't love her how she is. You may not think her stomach looks bad, but, I'm not sure you get a vote here. Maybe an opinion, but that's about it. It's kind of like Puerto Rico and the Electoral College (or maybe not).

Anyhow, be careful with tummy tucks and liposuction. They may be common procedures, (at least they are in Southern California) but from what I understand they can be tricky. Make sure you get a good doc who has successfully done a bunch of these.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Also I would rather her not get it. Not only because the price but I love her how she is and I just don't think her stomach is bad.
I agree it is her opinion that matters here.

I personally lost about 65 pounds over the past few years and I am currently scheduled to have some surgery as a result. One of the procedures I will be having is a tummy tuck, so I have researched costs quite a bit.

A good site for plastic surgery information is Realself

I got a ton of information from there that was really helpful.

AS for cost -

$13,500 for a tummy tuck with liposuction and hernia repair

Where I am that would be a little high for tummy tuck plus liposuction of the flanks if that was all that was being done. Now, if more extensive liposuction is involved (such as of the back or the thighs, then it wouldn't be. Also, there is the cost of the hernia repair. you should check to see if the hernia repair might be covered by insurance. Sometimes that can cut costs. Given the hernia repair the cost is probably not unreasonable. In any event, it is generally better to go to more than one surgeon for consultations.

That said -- cost is certainly a factor, but finding an excellent surgeon who is experienced and board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is really important. Note that there are some doctors who call themselves cosmetic surgeons and they are not actually certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. It is important to really carefully research the surgeon.

For example, for one of my two sets of procedures I am having down I am paying about $3000 more with the surgeon I selected than I would with another surgeon. But, I felt the one I selected was the best for what I wanted. Note that often a substantial part of the costs are not the surgeon's fee. There is also the cost for the surgical hospital or facility, the cost of anesthesia and the cost of recovery if staying overnight after the procedure. The primary difference in cost between the two surgeons was not the cost of the surgeon's fee. It was the difference in hospital charges between the two different hospital that they used.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Ick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

And when it doubt, go larger. They are worth every penny.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #18

My only concern is the obvious ....will there be more?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

THIS is an opportunity for you to step up ...
"No honey, if you really want this then I want to pay for every dime of it, I cannot think of anything more important I'd want my money going towards but your happiness!"
Old 04-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #20

Was listening to a plastic surgeon being interviewed and he was talking about a newer non-invasive procedure where they wrap something around you that freezes your fat cells which causes the fat cells to die and pass through your body. He claims it results in a 25% reduction in fat cells. Not sure how effective it is and he didn't mention the cost for the procedure but it sounds better then going under a knife.