Can I review my Medicare Account online?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Periodically, and I am not sure what the period is, I get something from Medicare called Medicare Summary Notice. This shows what has been submitted by doctors etc over the most recent period, and what Medicare has done with this. Is there a way to see one's medicare account online? I have been billed for some outpatient studies and I am trying to understand if this may be a mistake. Usually medicare cuts the bill the doctor submitted, then pays all or part of this, and sends the bill on to my Medigap company, who in turn will send or get back to the doctor for him/her to send what is still owed after Medicare and Medigap have done their thing. I prefer to pay medical bills quickly, but I also prefer to know what is going on before paying, and Medicare mails these notice with a considerable lag.

But I really do not understand what appears to me to be a bit murky. Can anyone give me a boost?

Thanks!

Ha

Last edited:
The Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) is the equivalent of the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) form that other insurance companies send out periodically listing the treatments and bills during a period.

You can always see all your current and old records by logging in to your My Medicare account (www.mymedicare.gov).

Thanks. I thought I had never registered there, but when I entered my Medicare number and name, it said they already had me. I had forgotten all about it as I think I never used it, but I got a new username and password and logged in. I am still kind of in the dark about it, but I called the clinic and the woman helping me thought that Medicare had messed up, so she told me not to pay the bill and they would re-submit to Medicare and if I owe something the doc would would re-bill me.

A good resolution!

Ha

Ha, I am helping my mother, who is 94, deal with 'mistake' bills from various medical group billing departments. They like to send her bills to pay for what her medicare advantage health insurance does not pay for. That's called balance billing and is not allowed. I have saved her about $5,000 in the last 6 months alone. I've had to make lots of phone calls and get the bills removed. They always turn out to be 'mistakes'. Riiiiight..... (sigh). Good luck. JGIII

Ha, I am helping my mother, who is 94, deal with 'mistake' bills from various medical group billing departments. They like to send her bills to pay for what her medicare advantage health insurance does not pay for. That's called balance billing and is not allowed. I have saved her about $5,000 in the last 6 months alone. I've had to make lots of phone calls and get the bills removed. They always turn out to be 'mistakes'. Riiiiight..... (sigh). Good luck. JGIII

I have been fortunate health-wise and have only needed to use Medicare a few times.

I keep good records and review the MSNs once they are available (usually after a marked delay) against the bills I have paid. Twice so far, I've found that medical bills I've paid were then paid by Medicare, meaning I was due a refund from the medical billing office. I would then call the billing office and be assured that my refund check was in their system to be processed....and I'd call....and call....Can you say slooooooow? It has taken months (and many phone calls) to get a refund.

I can only guess that there must be a huge percentage of patients (too old/confused/uninformed, etc.) who are likely unaware of similar situations in their medical billing and who never chase after refunds due them. :nonono:

omni

I have been fortunate health-wise and have only needed to use Medicare a few times.

I keep good records and review the MSNs once they are available (usually after a marked delay) against the bills I have paid. Twice so far, I've found that medical bills I've paid were then paid by Medicare, meaning I was due a refund from the medical billing office. I would then call the billing office and be assured that my refund check was in their system to be processed....and I'd call....and call....Can you say slooooooow? It has taken months (and many phone calls) to get a refund.

This might be worth the time on hold to talk to a Medicare C/S rep. Providers have to be approved to bill Medicare. You can file a complaint about the provider with Medicare (I think). If this was private insurance, your call to Customer Service would result in a provider rep going to the clinic to discuss their billing practices. Ultimately, they might not be offered a contract the following year.

- Rita

Back
Top Bottom