Can You Catch Alzheimer's? Maybe so...

Interesting story. This year, Florida mandated continuing education requirements for license renewal that had to include the fact that HSV1 encephalitis can present as behavioral symptoms only -- depression, psychoses, etc. which were are often misdiagnosed, and thus opportunities for antiviral treatment were missed.

So HSV and the brain are tightly intertwined at times.

Well, I hope the "Rich" in the story isn't you.:D

However, I've been plagued by colds sores for the last 30 years, get one every 6-9 months. While I suppose it's possible that the "big A" will get me in the end, I don't see anything that suggests HSV causes AD rather than there is a correlation. There is a difference between correlation an causation.

Well, I hope the "Rich" in the story isn't you.:D

However, I've been plagued by colds sores for the last 30 years, get one every 6-9 months. While I suppose it's possible that the "big A" will get me in the end, I don't see anything that suggests HSV causes AD rather than there is a correlation. There is a difference between correlation an causation.
There is not even conclusive evidence of association in this case. The study is of a type called "case control" which is notoriously vulnerable to invalid correlations and bias.

Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom