Join Early Retirement Today

canada pharmacy
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

canada pharmacy

I was looking on the internet and checking prices. It seems you can get a prescription from canada for about half of what my copay is here. does anyone here use canadian pharmacies? how did they work out for you? any one pharmacy in particular? How long did it take to get your drugs? any info would be helpful. thanks

frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

I find Canadian pharmacies great. I have also used ones in UK, France, Mexico, Ukraine, UAE and various African countries. No issues.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I find Canadian pharmacies great. I have also used ones in UK, France, Mexico, Ukraine, UAE and various African countries. No issues.
which has the fastest delivery time? I didn't see those other countries listed on the internet.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I was looking on the internet and checking prices. It seems you can get a prescription from canada for about half of what my copay is here. does anyone here use canadian pharmacies? how did they work out for you? any one pharmacy in particular? How long did it take to get your drugs? any info would be helpful. thanks

frank
You can even use India pharmacies. Without a prescription for many drugs. ~2 weeks regular shipping, faster if you pay more to ship.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #5

We have used pharmacies based both in Canada and India prior to getting our Part D medicare drug plan. Since all of our RX's are generic they are $0 cost so basically our total premiums of $15 per mo. each is our total monthly prescription cost. DW has 7 RX's and I have 3.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
You can even use India pharmacies. Without a prescription for many drugs. ~2 weeks regular shipping, faster if you pay more to ship.
Do you have the url for these india pharmacies? or should I just check around online?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I would be willing to use Canadian pharmacies as I know the actual names of the pharmacy chains (some of them). So I could find the REAL pharmacy website.

Then I could be assured the drugs I buy are legit, and not powdered gypsum.

I won't buy drugs from some random (possibly fake) site as the health risks are real.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sunset brings up the right questions. Is what is offered on the web really coming from Canada?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:

frank
Quote:
Sorry Frank, a poor attempt at humour. I have several Canadian pharmacies within walking distance so I don't usually get delivery. I have purchased drugs in those other countries. Many meds that are prescription in US and Canada are OTC in other countries and often much cheaper than Canadian prices which of course makes them dirt cheap compared to US prices.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Sunset brings up the right questions. Is what is offered on the web really coming from Canada?
From what I have read most medicines come from countries other than Canada and the USA . Whether we buy them in Canada, the USA or Lower Slobovia makes no difference.

https://howmuch.net/articles/world-m...g-exports-2016

https://www.latimes.com/business/laz...515-story.html

Quote:
One reason is because the supply chain for drugs is very complex. Active and inactive ingredients might come from dozens of suppliers in multiple countries, and each of those suppliers in turn might have facilities around the world.That’s why the Food and Drug Administration generally defines a drug’s country of origin as the final stop in the manufacturing process — where the ingredients were combined or the final touches put in place.
Under FDA rules, drug companies are required to disclose only the name and business address of the manufacturer. A U.S.-based pharmaceutical plant, therefore, would not have to reveal that its active ingredients come from China.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #11

DMIL had purchased meds from Canada some years back. Medicare donut hole is expensive. Twice they were seized as they came into the USA. She no longer buys from outside the USA. I can't recall what those meds were. And as always, YMMV.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #12

There is a segment of the internet that claims they can provide drugs and are based in Canada. Some of them are bogus. Use this website to check for prices on drugs sold in the US and in Canada and other countries.
https://www.pharmacychecker.com/

This is verification service that checks the qualifications of pharmacies and will list them. The pharmacies agree to provide pricing on the drugs they dispense (similar to GoodRx.com - but for internet based pharmacies).
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
From what I have read most medicines come from countries other than Canada and the USA . Whether we buy them in Canada, the USA or Lower Slobovia makes no difference.

https://howmuch.net/articles/world-m...g-exports-2016

https://www.latimes.com/business/laz...515-story.html

I agree the drugs are often made in various countries, the trick is to find a legitimate (honest) website in any country that will sell only real drugs and not fake ones.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
DMIL had purchased meds from Canada some years back. Medicare donut hole is expensive. Twice they were seized as they came into the USA. She no longer buys from outside the USA. I can't recall what those meds were. And as always, YMMV.
Yet the pharmacy can import the same drugs.

Maybe she was importing far more than a person would use, or perhaps they were a controlled substance instead of a blood pressure pill or insulin. Or maybe the border guard was actively protecting the business interests of the giant pharma company ?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Do you have the url for these india pharmacies? or should I just check around online?
You can try silverdrugstore dot com.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #16

When people ask about a particular drug, I check the price on canadadrugsonline (just because it's a name I remember). That outfit ships from lot of places, usually India, I guess. They won't ship without a prescription, so that seems to add legitimacy. If the drug in the US is generic, the overseas pharmacies might not have a much better price, but if the pharma company engineered itself an exclusive in the US market, the overseas price can be a tiny fraction of the US price.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
When people ask about a particular drug, I check the price on canadadrugsonline (just because it's a name I remember). That outfit ships from lot of places, usually India, I guess. They won't ship without a prescription, so that seems to add legitimacy. If the drug in the US is generic, the overseas pharmacies might not have a much better price, but if the pharma company engineered itself an exclusive in the US market, the overseas price can be a tiny fraction of the US price.
This pharmacy appears to be the successor to CanadaDrugs which lost it's license. They were based in Manitoba. Canadadrugsonline is based in British Columbia has certification from both Pharmacychecker and from CIPA. I have not used them.

When it comes to certifications displayed on websites, you need to dig a little deeper to see if the certification is truly an assessment of the pharmacies practices and meeting protocols, OR, if the certification is just a marketing tool. That is, any internet pharmacy can pay a fee to be listed as certified.
- Rita
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Here is the website of a real (has many stores in Canada) drugstore.
I have no idea if you can buy online drugs and ship to USA, but I have picked up prescription drugs from their stores for a sick Canadian relative.

shoppersdrugmart.ca
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #19

Happy to call Costco or Shoppers Drug Mart and find out a local Canadian price for you. Might be interesting. I make a habit of going into Pharmacies when I travel to ask about costs and prescription status of various drugs.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Happy to call Costco or Shoppers Drug Mart and find out a local Canadian price for you. Might be interesting. I make a habit of going into Pharmacies when I travel to ask about costs and prescription status of various drugs.
Advair 250/50 60 doses. there is also a generic, but don't know the name off hand. thanks do you know if prescription point pharmacy is legit or not? they look good on the website and have good ratings.