Cancer and diet

If you can determine who funded the study, that is a good place to start. There is tremendous profit to be made by selling the industrial seed oils (jug oils), because they are dirt cheap to produce. Same thing with high-fructose corn syrup. It's a pretty good bet that any "studies" that found no harm from consuming this junk were funded (in one way or another) by the industries that produce the stuff.

Better to trust internet "experts" selling their own solutions, I say! Supplements, anyone? Perhaps a nice dose of snake oil to go with it?

He's a licensed acupuncturist and a Functional Medicine practitioner, so you know he quacks loudly.

I won't comment on acupuncture (other than I am skeptical), but even the highly respected Cleveland Clinic has a Functional Medicine clinic so it has some credibility.

I have had good luck with acupuncture for neck/back pain.

JERF. Sadly many of today's offerings don't qualify.

Last edited:
I won't comment on acupuncture (other than I am skeptical), but even the highly respected Cleveland Clinic has a Functional Medicine clinic so it has some credibility.

Very sad. Pseudoscientific quackery endorsed by academia. This seemingly lends credibility for some folks.

Until this thread, i had never heard of FM before.
So did some quick searches.
There is quite a lot of animosity towards FM out there, and the wiki article does make a good case that its origins are indeed quackery.

On the other hand there is this as well:

https://thedo.osteopathic.org/2018/...medicine-and-why-do-some-dos-gravitate-to-it/

There has been a study of 4200 Cleveland Clinic patients indicating that outcomes were better for those treated by FM than those not. Interesting that the article indicated a financial motive for the Cleveland Clinic in that insurance reimbursements based on outcomes were better than those based solely on treatments.

I will stick with my conventional doctors for now, but perhaps in time FM will become more mainstream

When neck/ back pain is muscular things like chiropractic and acupuncture can be very helpful. But it won’t help if for instance you have a ruptured disc. That’s why any reputable chiropractor won’t treat you without a X-ray initially or after any type of accident.

I didn't see any results for myself with acupuncture, but the results with acupressure balls, foam rollers and yoga for me has been nothing short of amazing. I can use all those techniques at home with some purchased balls, rollers and books.

I just try to keep an open mind and healthwise, if it won't hurt, isn't expensive, and might help, I'll give it a try. So far on a mostly Blue Zone kind of diet, DH's heart rate is much better, I've lost weight without being hungry and we like the meals actually even better than what we were eating before, so we'll probably stick with it unless we see some longer term negative health effects from it.

Years ago most doctors smoked and initially scoffed at the studies showing smoking was bad, so who knows what continual research will show years into the future.

Last edited:
I suppose anything is possible.

After all, they laughed at Galileo. Of course they laughed at Bozo, too.

Intermittent Fasting here, eating in a 5-8 hour window without counting calories and giving my body more time to clean up by atophagy :)

My oncologist has suggested several times that I try acupuncture to help deal with the side effects from my cancer treatment. My medical insurance has some coverage for acupuncture also.

I suppose anything is possible.

Yeah, I suppose so. Heck, I've even heard of close-minded people sometimes realizing that there might just be some benefit to considering the merits of what other intelligent people have to say about a subject.

Our doctor told us to avoid sugar. Any food with over 8 grams a serving should be a avoided. You know how many things have over 8 grams? A lot. Pasta sauces, tomato soup, most yogurts, ketchup, juices.... Start looking closely at the nutritional labels and you’ll be shocked as to how much sugar there is in foods.

After traditional medicine did nothing for DWs headache for 70 days they sent her to biofeedback. A few weeks later the headaches gone. The traditional medicine doctors couldn't even agree what type of headache she had. Nor can they explain why biofeedback worked.

Our doctor told us to avoid sugar. Any food with over 8 grams a serving should be a avoided. You know how many things have over 8 grams? A lot. Pasta sauces, tomato soup, most yogurts, ketchup, juices.... Start looking closely at the nutritional labels and you’ll be shocked as to how much sugar there is in foods.

Bring on that fructose baby! Back in the day 'Fatty Liver' meant too much alcohol for sure, now every third 10-year-old has it thanks to sugar intake and alcohol is a distant second and fading as a cause.

One of the nice things about being retired for me is the time to buy whole foods, cook more from scratch and leave out the additives and sugar. I made my own pasta sauce the other day and it turned out pretty good. One of my next cooking projects is to try to make a bigger batch and keep some in the freezer for nights we don't have time to cook as much.

I think those who try and cook with clean ingredients is good and noble. Does it ultimately result in a low cancer risk diet? Probably not. So, do your own thing and if it feels right, do it

Yeah, I suppose so. Heck, I've even heard of close-minded people sometimes realizing that there might just be some benefit to considering the merits of what other intelligent people have to say about a subject.

I've heard of that too. Anything is possible.

I made my own pasta sauce the other day and it turned out pretty good. One of my next cooking projects is to try to make a bigger batch and keep some in the freezer for nights we don't have time to cook as much.
Sauce freezes well. I have 3 quarts in my freezer right now.

I've been doing that as long as I can remember. Coming from an Italian family, it was just what we always did pretty much every other Sunday. My dad grew the tomatoes in season, too.

Lots of soups freeze well, too.

I think those who try and cook with clean ingredients is good and noble. Does it ultimately result in a low cancer risk diet? Probably not. So, do your own thing and if it feels right, do it

It's probably not 'clean' that is so important (although a good idea) it is 'unprocessed'. There is pretty good evidence that a diet that minimizes processed foods will lessen the risk of cancer, most notably cancers of the GI tract.

Sugar counteracts the acid in under ripe fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes. It's all chemistry and trying to feed the masses. Foods aren't grown for flavor, they're grown for transport and shelf life. Same with wine, if you pick ripe fruit, you get fruit flavor and high alcohol, because of the higher sugars. If you pick unripe fruit, it's higher in acid and has less alcohol, but needs sugar for you to swallow. Think freshly squeezed lemonade!!!!

If I recall correctly, someone did a statistical evaluation of cancer risk within the last few years. Their conclusion, I think, was that about 2/3 of the risk of contacting cancer was random chance. A mistake when a cell divides. About 1/3 due to lifestyle issues.

Someone will have to search for the study if they wish to read the details.

Back
Top Bottom