Join Early Retirement Today

Cancer and diet
Old 04-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cancer and diet

I know some folks on the forum share my interest in how diet affects health, and susceptibility to chronic diseases. I just came across these two articles that I found interesting. One deals with consumption of reheated cooking oil (in deep-fried foods), and the other deals with sugary drinks, especially those containing high-fructose corn syrup. Yes, these are mice studies, and I know some folks disregard such studies as not applicable to humans...........but I don't.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-...oking-oil.html

From the article: "Thermally abused frying oil—cooking oil that has been repeatedly reheated to high temperatures—may act as a toxicological trigger that promotes tumor cell proliferation, metastases and changes in lipid metabolism."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0321141924.htm

From the article: ""These results suggest that when the animals have early stage of tumors in the intestines -- which can occur in many young adult humans by chance and without notice -- consuming even modest amounts of high-fructose corn syrup in liquid form can boost tumor growth and progression independently of obesity."
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #2

I was DX twice with cancer. I searched and researched (almost full time) about cancer and the causes and treatments. IMHO, there is no one thing, behavior or food that starts the metastasis of cancer. We all have cancer cells. It's what triggers cancer cell growth that research and study try to solve. DH grandfather smoked for 65 years and died at 94. He was only sick the last few weeks of his life and died of pnuemonia that had nothing to do with smoking. He got the flu.

I've decided to live and eat and stop thinking about "could this trigger cancer?" I try to eat healthy. I do feel obesity is a huge health problem in the U.S. Obesity is a whole set of health problems.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing. I was surprised at the impact:

Twenty days after inoculation with the tumor cells, the primary tumors in the tibias of the mice that consumed the thermally abused oil had more than four times as much metastatic growth as the mice that consumed the fresh soybean oil.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I knew about sugary drinks, we rarely drink them, haven’t for many years.

I didn’t know about thermally abused oil, now that I understand what they mean. We don’t have a deep fat fryer so no exposure at home and we don’t eat fried food often - except I probably have french fries a couple times a month when I’m away from home. Guess I need to rethink french fries, maybe skip them from now on. Thanks.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We threw out all the chocolate and any desserts a few weeks ago to try to clean up our diets. The Blue Zones guidelines for living the longest are 95% plants, 5% animal based, so now we're working on less meat and dairy.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We threw out all the chocolate and any desserts a few weeks ago to try to clean up our diets. The Blue Zones guidelines for living the longest are 95% plants, 5% animal based, so now we're working on less meat and dairy.
That may not actually help you live longer but it will probably make it seem that way.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I rarely eat deep fried food and don’t have a deep fat fryer at home.

But I know people who developed cancer and didn’t eat deep fried food or sugary drinks either. So I don’t see how it can really make much difference.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway. [emoji16]

I think it's reasonable to control weight, because, as said above, doing that can help with a cascading batch of issues as you age, but otherwise, it's a crap shoot, and science still basically doesn't know what it's talking about in this area.

I grew up right as the panic over saturated fat took hold, and spent much of my life avoiding butter, red meat, eggs, cheese, chicken skin, etc, and was 100 lbs overweight thanks to a mostly carb diet. Now I eat bacon, eggs, sausage, butter, full fat dressings, full fat yogurt, etc, and am 80 lbs lighter than I was 10 years ago, and have normal blood sugar, triglycerides, and HDL, which along with no family history of heart disease these days means that doctors don't care as much about total cholesterol or LDL. (It's true! Really!)

And my husband, who ate far more healthy than I ever did and who biked to and from work every day for the last six years of his life, died at 55 of cancer, that was already stage 4 when it was found.

Ditch the sugar drinks, including juices, absolutely, because it's such a simple way to cut calories, but beyond that, {shrug}.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That may not actually help you live longer but it will probably make it seem that way.

If you can find any studies showing people on mostly plant based diets don't live significantly longer lives on average or have much lower rates of cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's, etc. I would be very interested in seeing them. But even the MD Anderson Cancer center site which seems pretty mainstream recommends no more than 18 ounces of cooked meat a week, which isn't much.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
If you can find any studies showing people on mostly plant based diets don't live significantly longer lives on average or have much lower rates of cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's, etc. I would be very interested in seeing them. But even the MD Anderson Cancer center site which seems pretty mainstream recommends no more than 18 ounces of cooked meat a week, which isn't much.
Have they ever proven 18 1/2 ounces of meat per week causes cancer? How many times? One week? Two weeks? A whole lifetime of weeks? Like so many subject matter experts and studies have taught us over the years: They got nuthin'.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

As I've said many times, you have to choose what you read, decide what makes sense to you, and act accordingly. Don't let the "experts" decide for you.

This shows my personal bias:

Plant based diet.jpg
Old 04-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Have they ever proven 18 1/2 ounces of meat per week causes cancer? How many times? One week? Two weeks? A whole lifetime of weeks? Like so many subject matter experts and studies have taught us over the years: They got nuthin'.

I am not an expert on how MD Anderson does their research or what they look at, but they do seem to be a pretty main stream medical cancer expert center. I just started researching what people who live the longest eat and came across the Blue Zones site, and from there web sites like Harvard Health and the MD Anderson site and they were pretty much all saying the same thing. We eat a lot of ethnic peasant food anyway, with small amounts of meat, so it hasn't been a huge change for us. I was just surprised at how low the animal protein recommendations were.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #13

...and they were pretty much all saying the same thing.

It's called group think, being trendy, getting on the bandwagon, afraid of being Serpico'd, zeitgeist.. not knocking you or the current medical all-of-the-above, but it's definitely a fetish. Every single profession does it. None do not do it. I mean, really while diet does count for something, and yes, some things are bad for you, this Late 20th century mania of Diet Uber Alles, Diet as the cause of and cure for all our problems is more than silly. Especially the sort of obscure and mystic hatred of meat...?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
...and they were pretty much all saying the same thing.

It's called group think, being trendy, getting on the bandwagon, afraid of being Serpico'd, zeitgeist.. not knocking you or the current medical all-of-the-above, but it's definitely a fetish. Every single profession does it. None do not do it. I mean, really while diet does count for something, and yes, some things are bad for you, this Late 20th century mania of Diet Uber Alles, Diet as the cause of and cure for all our problems is more than silly. Especially the sort of obscure and mystic hatred of meat...?

I'm just looking at the recommendations based actual research. In all the Blue Zone areas where people live the longest they all eat plant based diets. In the U.S. the Blue Zone area is Loma Linda, and they have much lower rates of chronic diseases and live significantly longer than other Californians. I don't hate meat, but we're okay cutting back if it decreases our cancer and other chronic disease risk and adds some years to our lives.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #15

Outside of eating charred red meat I don’t see a correlation much if you have a decently balanced diet.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #16

When I took statistics in college my professors always pounded us about understanding and recognizing the differences between “causation” and “correlation”.

Too often when it comes to interpreting statistical data people are citing a correlation while implying, or even incorrectly stating, that there is causation. This seems to happen all too often in medicine...
Old 04-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I didn’t know about thermally abused oil, now that I understand what they mean. We don’t have a deep fat fryer so no exposure at home and we don’t eat fried food often - except I probably have french fries a couple times a month when I’m away from home. Guess I need to rethink french fries, maybe skip them from now on. Thanks.
A lot of people have not heard about the health risks from consuming industrial seed oils, but there is a lot of information online about them. Thermally-abused seed oils are the most dangerous, but I personally will not consume any of the seed oils sold in jugs at the grocery store (corn oil, vegetable oil, safflower oil, canola oil, etc), whether they are heated during cooking or not.

Here is one article about why they are dangerous to consume:

https://chriskresser.com/how-industr...aking-us-sick/

Just reading about how this stuff is made turns my stomach.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway. [emoji16]

And my husband, who ate far more healthy than I ever did and who biked to and from work every day for the last six years of his life, died at 55 of cancer, that was already stage 4 when it was found.

Ditch the sugar drinks, including juices, absolutely, because it's such a simple way to cut calories, but beyond that, {shrug}.
+1, or 2 or 3

Late DW was very conscious of her diet, personal and environmental hygiene and still ended up with a metastatic cancer that killed her. Maternal grandfather was a heavy smoker, died at 62. His daughter (my mother) has smoked for 60+ years, is now 80+ and living independently.

Seems random to me, but just a sample of one family
Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Fla, I agree from my observations it’s random.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
A lot of people have not heard about the health risks from consuming industrial seed oils, but there is a lot of information online about them. Thermally-abused seed oils are the most dangerous, but I personally will not consume any of the seed oils sold in jugs at the grocery store (corn oil, vegetable oil, safflower oil, canola oil, etc), whether they are heated during cooking or not.

Here is one article about why they are dangerous to consume:

https://chriskresser.com/how-industr...aking-us-sick/

Just reading about how this stuff is made turns my stomach.
He's a licensed acupuncturist and a Functional Medicine practitioner, so you know he quacks loudly.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote