Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very good point Rich... and you have convinced us not to go ahead with my mother (who is 90) getting a colonoscopy....

Also, as one of the news reporters said when talking to the network doctor... it is not the test that is bad, but what happens AFTER the test.. as Rich points out, half of the people are going to get 'something' that they do not need to get....

One of the suggestions was, OK, you got a positive test result... lets just wait and see if something else shows up to indicate that your really have 'it'... and if nothing happens... you have nothing done to you....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Very good point Rich... and you have convinced us not to go ahead with my mother (who is 90) getting a colonoscopy.....
I wouldn't make such a decision based on what some quack on the internet says .

But seriously, only someone who knows all her specifics can help you make real-world decisions, so please check with her doctor and don't rely on generalities h ere or elsewhere. For example, if she had certain types of polyps in the past, or positive fecal occult blood tests, or any number of other issues, it still might be worthwhile.

Just being cautious...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Concurr. My BIL has a daughter diagnosed with colon cancer in early middle age, He had a colonoscopy in his mid-70s because of her medical history although he was evidently in good health. His test was positive, he is currently undergoing treatment and because he was in otherwise good health tolerating it well.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I wouldn't make such a decision based on what some quack on the internet says .

But seriously, only someone who knows all her specifics can help you make real-world decisions, so please check with her doctor and don't rely on generalities h ere or elsewhere. For example, if she had certain types of polyps in the past, or positive fecal occult blood tests, or any number of other issues, it still might be worthwhile.

Just being cautious...

Don't worry Rich... my sister is a nurse with many years and she did not want my mother to get one... no history of anything... just that the doctor suggested it... but since then, she had a seizure which nobody can determine why (nurse sister thinks it is related to flu shot since she had one last year)... her doctor now agrees that the benefits might not be worth the risks..
Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in an early stage (36 y.o.) (no family history) just because her doctor likes his patients to start routine screening early. I am very glad this was the doctor's policy as 14 years later, my sister is fine.