Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #21

Very best of luck. I suspect you're tough enough to beat that little upstart.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You have a such a great attitude!
All the best.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My husband's niece recently died of colon cancer. It was found as the result of a random screening when she was in her 30s (a Kaiser Permantie study). Because of that, and subsequent treatment, she lived long enough to know her grand children. Subsequently her father was found to have colon cancer so it may be familial.

Older women (the age of many of your Mothers) can probably appreciate this better but.. I am well endowed. When I kidded with the radiation oncologist about dreaming of breast reduction she observed that I had some tissue to spare and to mention that to my surgeon (aka, no reason to back-fill). One of the radiation options typically results in long term ... firmness. This has been a real education.

This all may seem disrespectful of those who are/were diagnosed with advanced breast cancer for whom the diagnosis is a life and death matter. That is not my intention at all. I sincerely wish that their cancer had been identified early. It is incumbent on each of us to do what we can to give our health care providers the opportunity to preserve our health trough preventive screening, to become partners in preserving our quality of life. I wish all of you had been as lucky as I. Encourage your mother's, sister, and wives to have mammograms even after years of benign results when more tests seem senseless.

What is important is to know the best way to identify potential problems: routine screening where the radiologist can compare results over time.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #24

Brat, I am sending best wishes your way also. So glad that it was caught early and it sounds like you have very good doctors. Hope everything goes smoothly.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
If you are 50, and haven't had your baseline test yet, what are you waiting for?
Spouse let me go first... one of the only times in my life when our relative age difference was not held against me.

Now she's dragging her feet until she has the "free time" to "get around to it". She's been so obscenely healthy for her entire life that she has a tough time surrendering herself to the authorities for the "inconvenience".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse let me go first... one of the only times in my life when our relative age difference was not held against me.

Now she's dragging her feet until she has the "free time" to "get around to it". She's been so obscenely healthy for her entire life that she has a tough time surrendering herself to the authorities for the "inconvenience".
The problem with many cancers is that by the time you don't feel well, the chances of curing it are much harder. My sister only felt her colon cancer because she was fortunate enough to take an airplane flight and the pressure changes gave her cramps.

Three years ago the healthiest woman I have ever known died of cancer. She was a nutritionist and ate organic etc. My friend who just died was the most religious person I have ever known. My attitude now is that being healthy or praying is not going to protect you from the big C...

I also feel that not being checked is showing your spouse that you don't love them...that you're willing to leave them a widow because of your stubbornness.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
I also feel that not being checked is showing your spouse that you don't love them...that you're willing to leave them a widow because of your stubbornness.
In my case that'd be "widower"... I've already been declared full of it nearly polyp-free and awarded five years' parole contingent upon good behavior.

I've told spouse not to worry about me-- if she croaks before I do then I'll just find some other hot chick to replace her.

Once she runs out of ammo I think she'll be in a more receptive frame of mind.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Good luck Brat!

My initial dermatology visit in 2005 detected several cancerous lesions. Two of them were melanoma.

After the initial shock and multiple visits since, I continue to visit the doctor regularly and am getting used to the process. I've had 20+ excisions to date, but know that I will probably have more in the future.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I had been getting very cavalier about mamms and paps, I have had no issues not self induced (falling from a chair used as a ladder); I had screenings, blood tests routinely for years and until last month none indicated potential concerns.. why bother. Frankly I was shocked!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck, Brat. Glad to see that you have such a positive attitude. Have all of my fingers and toes crossed for you!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #31

Brat, DW is a breast cancer survivor thanks to early detection. I say survivor because her last surgery was 1986 (double mastectomy). She waited 10 years for reconstruction because it may have prevented future detection. I'm a survivor of AAA due to a screening. I've posted about this in the past but will say again, early discovery is the key. Please everyone, get those screenings. Best wishes to you Brat.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote