Join Early Retirement Today

Cancer stinks, but maybe that's OK
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cancer stinks, but maybe that's OK

Sorry this excerpt is so long, but it is both interesting and important. Caution: do not read this before a meal...

Bottom line: dogs can sniff out colon cancer. Quite well, it appears.
Sonoda H, Kohnoe S, Yamazato T, et al. Colorectal cancer screening with odour material by canine scent detection. Gut. 2011 Jun;60(6):814-9.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Early detection and early treatment are of vital importance to the successful treatment of various cancers. The development of a novel screening method that is as economical and non-invasive as the faecal occult blood test (FOBT) for early detection of colorectal cancer (CRC) is needed. A study was undertaken using canine scent detection to determine whether odour material can become an effective tool in CRC screening.

DESIGN: Exhaled breath and watery stool samples were obtained from patients with CRC and from healthy controls prior to colonoscopy. Each test group consisted of one sample from a patient with CRC and four control samples from volunteers without cancer. These five samples were randomly and separately placed into five boxes. A Labrador retriever specially trained in scent detection of cancer and a handler cooperated in the tests. The dog first smelled a standard breath sample from a patient with CRC, then smelled each sample station and sat down in front of the station in which a cancer scent was detected.

RESULTS: 33 and 37 groups of breath and watery stool samples, respectively, were tested. Among patients with CRC and controls, the sensitivity of canine scent detection of breath samples compared with conventional diagnosis by colonoscopy was 0.91 and the specificity was 0.99. The sensitivity of canine scent detection of stool samples was 0.97 and the specificity was 0.99. The accuracy of canine scent detection was high even for early cancer. Canine scent detection was not confounded by current smoking, benign colorectal disease or inflammatory disease.

CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that a specific cancer scent does indeed exist and that cancer-specific chemical compounds may be circulating throughout the body. These odour materials may become effective tools in CRC screening. In the future, studies designed to identify cancer-specific volatile organic compounds will be important for the development of new methods for early detection of CRC.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I can see it now...

Doc (snapping on surgical glove): "Please drop your trousers and bend over."
Patient: "I really hate this part of the exam."
Doc: "I understand, but we just haven't figured out a good way to warm Fido's nose."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know it sounds weird, but I wonder if anyone has tried it with human scent detection (you though you hated your job). But seriously, check out this:

Mysterious house smell
Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting - very interesting. I recall reading about this years ago. Maybe they were just training the dogs then, and this study is the result?

Rich, can you decode this for us:

Quote:
The sensitivity of canine scent detection ... was 0.97 and the specificity was 0.99.
Does that mean the dogs could correctly detect 97 out of 100 cancer samples, and would give a false positive in 1 out of 100?

What would be the incidence in a population that you would be screening for CRC? If my assumption above is correct, and (just for example) if 1% of the population being screened actually had detectable CRC, that could mean:

(based on my pulled-from-air numbers/assumption) For 10,000 screened, there would be 100 with detectable CRC, the dogs would correctly ID 97 of them, and falsely ID 100 people that had no CRC. Even though it doesn't seem so great when I put it that way, I guess it means only 200 would go on to more aggressive screening, rather than all 10,000?

-ERD50
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks for posting - very interesting...
Rich, can you decode this for us:

Does that mean the dogs could correctly detect 97 out of 100 cancer samples, and would give a false positive in 1 out of 100?
Sensitivity = the probabilitiy on a zero-to-one scale that a patient with colon cancer will have an abnormal result on this test.

Specificity = probability (0-to-1) that patients who do not have colon cancer will have a negative (normal) test result.

False positive rate = (1 - specificity)

False negative rate = (1 - sensitivity)

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doing it "doggy style" takes on a whole new meaning.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

PET scans are getting better.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
PET scans are getting better.

CAT scans, too.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! This is particularly interesting because I've pondered why my internist is an eerily good diagnostition. One of my surgeons asked me why suddenly the internist ordered a colonoscopy which diagnosed colon cancer--years before it would be "due." My conclusion, only half in jest, has been that he SMELLS illness. Of course, all sorts of tests are run, but he picks up things not in the test results.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Should I be nervous next time my dog takes a good sniff of my behind and passes out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleepinglab.jpg (6.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #11

I suppose we can assume that the dog handler and all spectators were ignorant of which boxes held the cancer prize.

Not to diminish at all the interest of this result, it may be relevant to mention doubts about the usefulness of early detection and treatment. Probably because some cancers that are detected early are very slow growing, finding them may not extend life, and treating them then exposes patients to side effects of medications for no real benefit.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I remember reading something similar a long time ago....

There was a "problem" with the dog since he would sit next to a control sample... they could not figure out why.... until later it was determined that the person actually HAD cancer that was undetected at the time...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There are melanoma-sniffing dogs reported as well, but not researched as rigorously as in the current study.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
CONCLUSIONS: .....These odour materials may become effective tools in CRC screening. In the future, studies designed to identify cancer-specific volatile organic compounds will be important for the development of new methods for early detection of CRC.
Why not just train a few more dogs?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

as someone who loves the heck out of dogs snf love with those little critters. I would be happy to see every one of them trained, loved and put to work sniffing butts.

They would be so happy to do whatever they were tasked.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
as someone who loves the heck out of dogs snf love with those little critters. I would be happy to see every one of them trained, loved and put to work sniffing butts.
Yeah, talk about loving your work. Those dogs would never want to retire....
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Break time!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Why not just train a few more dogs?
Because a gazilion dollar biotech startup can't be launched that way?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Why can't this kind of machine designed for diagnosis, not much incentive, not much payback, smell is too complex for current technology?

IONSCAN SENTINEL II

also interesting - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/health/04tb.html
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landover View Post
Why can't this kind of machine designed for diagnosis, not much incentive, not much payback, smell is too complex for current technology?
I'm not sure, but last I'd heard current technology couldn't match a pooch for sniffing out bombs, drugs, etc.