Cannabis users may not need much retirement income

Medical Marijuana user here, but at a low level so I am not worried. I also use a vaporizer so no smoke effects. I read everything I can on MJ research and have concluded (for now) that, while not completely benign, moderate use is not very dangerous. Certainly no more dangerous that a glass of wine of two. But, I will keep reading the studies that come out and see where the science takes us.

Not to keen on the smoking but I would like to try Alice B Toklas brownies if it wasn't so far to the West Coast. :D

Cheers!

The recipe's online. Perhaps today one might consider using Cana butter instead of eating the sativa. Tends to taste better, and cannabis can be difficult to digest.

Last edited:
Certainly no more dangerous that a glass of wine of two.

No more dangerous, indeed. In fact weed is safer than alcohol across many dimensions: it's less addictive, people who OD on weed don't die, stoned people are less prone to violence, they're less likely to get in automobile accidents than drunks, the long-term health impacts on chronic users may be lower . . .

There's good reason to think that if people who drink alcohol swapped their nightly cocktails for Canna Cola we'd experience a meaningful national health benefit.

Last edited:
From the article:

Long-term use can contribute to respiratory infection, impaired memory, and exposure to cancer-causing compounds

Two of those three are related to smoke inhalation, not cannabis. Impaired memory is a tough one to substantiate, especially to what degree it is permanent vs. transitory.

Heavy marijuana use in youth has also been linked to an increased risk for developing mental illness and poorer brain health

I do wonder to what degree we are dealing with an inverse correlation here. Cannabis as self-medication and escape mechanism.

I've known quite a few people that smoked cannabis in my teen and twenties (and was a mild smoker myself). The only problematic users had troubled childhoods in general, before they started heavy usage. Talking domestic abuse, depression etc ..

Of course anecdotes ain't data.

No more dangerous, indeed. In fact weed is safer than alcohol across many dimensions: it's less addictive, people who OD on weed don't die, stoned people are less prone to violence, they're less likely to get in automobile accidents than drunks, the long-term health impacts on chronic users may be lower . . .

There's good reason to think that if people who drink alcohol swapped their nightly cocktails for Canna Cola we'd experience a meaningful national health benefit.

Time to up my stock positions in Frito Lay and Nabisco...

All true points in the first paragraph. But, IMO, it just can't match a leisurely night with DW over a bottle of pinot.... Maybe due to dose responsiveness, but my [recent] first partaking in 30+ years magically ended the night early as I stumbled to bed and crashed. :LOL: Higher THC levels (22%!), holding the smoke in, deep drags, and essentially "new" experience to me all were involved, I'm sure.

Probably give it another whack next time we are in a legal state, but initial experience nothing to write home about.

I smoke pot once a day, every evening right before I go to bed. After supper and after I play tug with my dog, I head on in to the bedroom and put the music on and smoke some bud. Then crack the novel and read for about an hour. Then the meds go down and I read until the print gets blurry and I know I won't be staring at the ceiling all night.

No smoking & driving just like no drinking and driving.

Maine is probably going to legalize it for recreational use. Couldn't imagine that happening 50 years ago when i was a smoker. I remember a friend dancing happy dance when he received this shoe box from Vietnam in the spring of 1968. it was sitting next to the mailboxes at the dormitory of the college I was attending. I wasn't friends with him so I didn't get to partake of the special stash from Ho CHI MIN's victory garden.

I wonder what I did with my 6 chambered water pipe that I had in 1974:confused:??

63, no meds, excellent health. debt free. stupid is hard to fix, but aggressive driving can be fixed with a little bowl. i smoke and drive all the time as it takes the ricky racer out of me. if i find that i'm riding too fast on my motorcycle, i stop and smoke a bowl. makes my tires last longer :)

My BIL, my age, and dying of cancer was prescribed pot for the pain the Doc's could not stop and for the after effects from the nasty chemicals they were pouring in his body (chemo). Last time I saw him, he said the pot made him feel human again. Some good has come of this plant.

DH is on Marinol (synthetic THC) because his appetite is depressed. Even in our backward state it's perfectly legal, and my sister said it's been around at least since she was in med school in the late 1980s.

We have to be careful with it; DH once wasn't talking sense and I think it was the interaction between an anti-nausea drug he'd taken for the first time, and the Marinol. They recently suggested doubling his dosage of Marinol but that also seems to affect his cognitive function, so we've gone from one 2X/day to one 3X/day.

I have no urge to try MJ again, medicinal or otherwise. It would make me sleepy and create an urge to eat junk food. I don't need either.

DH is on Marinol (synthetic THC) because his appetite is depressed. Even in our backward state it's perfectly legal, and my sister said it's been around at least since she was in med school in the late 1980s.

We have to be careful with it; DH once wasn't talking sense and I think it was the interaction between an anti-nausea drug he'd taken for the first time, and the Marinol. They recently suggested doubling his dosage of Marinol but that also seems to affect his cognitive function, so we've gone from one 2X/day to one 3X/day.

I have no urge to try MJ again, medicinal or otherwise. It would make me sleepy and create an urge to eat junk food. I don't need either.

I tried Marinol (never MJ) when I was on chemo had was losing weight due to nausea. Had a very strange head rush and uncontrollable shaking reaction for about 10 minutes that scared the crap out of my wife and I so I never tried it again.

I am happy it works for some though.

63, no meds, excellent health. debt free. stupid is hard to fix, but aggressive driving can be fixed with a little bowl. i smoke and drive all the time as it takes the ricky racer out of me. if i find that i'm riding too fast on my motorcycle, i stop and smoke a bowl. makes my tires last longer :)

I'm not sure what point you (Sam Adams) were trying to make, but reading the article sounds like Kitesurfer2 is on the right track. As long as he's not overdoing it, smoking a little while driving is not a bad thing. Especially if you wait a bit before heading out. Any impairment tends to be countered by decreased aggression and more focus. And anybody who smokes knows that mixing pot with alcohol and then driving is a bad idea.

Sam Adams, i have already read that, as well as every other morsel of 'facts' that i could find. my limits is two beers with dinner. more than that and i know i am impared. I also know how much pot i can smoke and when driving , never more than one hit. and like the article says, i do sit and enjoy the buzz for a bit before driving/riding. When running out of arthrituus medicine 4 years ago, i knew i needed a change. no more medicines, no more doctors.

Back
Top Bottom