Join Early Retirement Today

Carbs or calories? Atkins vs WW
Old 07-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Carbs or calories? Atkins vs WW

I'm a yoyo when it comes to diets...once I slip, I slide... DW is great about eating healthy, but she seems deprived of the good stuff. Only diet I've lost on was Atkins.. 22 lbs about 12 years ago. I think it's time to rinse and repeat.

Any tips on Atkins? Golf buddy has lost 25 lbs in a short time and he swears by it (energy, easy vs WW, etc). I'm guessing that one size doesn't fit all..
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used Myfitnespal to count calories and dropped 110 combined pounds. There's a ok social media site they have(better moderation then two years ago). You will find many who eat low carb or Atkins there. There's a "low carb daily forum - LCD group" that's very friendly and informative.

Atkins works for some people, there's certain medical conditions that make higher fat lower carb diets better for them. Some folk feel a diet higher in fat makes them more less hungry.

One thing that happens is in the early stages of low carb....is your body uses up it's glycogen stores resulting in rapid loss. Once carbs are no longer restricted that weight comes back!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did a low carb and the weight just fell off after the first month. Can't get the rest of the house on board and was too hard to maintain.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

So far, I've dropped 13% of weight (30 pounds) in the past year by aggressively reducing, but not eliminating, carbs (I think that is like atkins?). Also ran minimum of 5K or 100 flights of stairs in our office building 5-7 days a week. Most of that loss was front loaded, although I'm still trending down.

Only other diet change was starting to eat breakfast (1/3 pound of jerky and a hardboiled egg for 5 days a week) Prior to that, I only ate one meal a day--and that beginning at 730 or 8 each night.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

IMHO, it's not an either-or choice. It's a 'This is what works for me choice'.

Keep in mind that low-carb has a flip side. We eat more fat. Like the man says "Butter makes your pants fall off."

Our bodies are highly complex biological machines. If we were steam engines, then calories-in/calories-out (CICO) would work for all of us. But, how we process those calories is governed by many things including heredity and the food that contains the calories.

Limiting carbs (under about 100 g per day) and eating real food with whatever fat god/nature/the-powers-that-be put in it works for me. The less processed the better. CICO may work for others. If so, great!

FWIW, exercise has many health benefits for me. The physical and mental benefits are great. But, exercise does not do much to help me lose weight and get rid of fat. YMMV.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

I'm a confirmed LCHF person, so I'm biased, but if you want to try an Atkins style plan again, I could recommend this:

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great

The three co-authors are highly regarded in the field and the book is well written. Lots of suggested meals as well. I didn't see it on Amazon just now but I know there is a paperback version as well because it's on my bookshelf.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

This topic has come up on this forum many times and it's not going to end in agreement, lol! Different things work for different people.

What I always say is that cutting calories without addressing anything else is a very tough road. It can work, but for many, cutting calories is simply learning to live with being hungry. Some people can do it long-term. Most can not. Thus, the yo-yo.

For many, changing your macro-nutrient profile to alter appetite is a way to reduce caloric intake without as much of the hunger. Atkins is an extreme method to control appetite by limiting the blood sugar roller coaster that drives most of us to eat.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm a confirmed LCHF person, so I'm biased, but if you want to try an Atkins style plan again, I could recommend this:

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great

The three co-authors are highly regarded in the field and the book is well written. Lots of suggested meals as well. I didn't see it on Amazon just now but I know there is a paperback version as well because it's on my bookshelf.
I bought this book last week on E-Bay for less than $4.00, free shipping. There were only a couple left. My DH has type 2 Diabetes and is working hard to stop his Metformin.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Atkins works for me. Can still loose weight and drink wine. Off all sugar bread and pasta and gone from 265 to 232 in just a few months.
...(I'm 6' 3")
Been think of converting from atkins to smaller portion sizes in the near future.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
So far, I've dropped 13% of weight (30 pounds) in the past year by aggressively reducing, but not eliminating, carbs (I think that is like atkins?). Also ran minimum of 5K or 100 flights of stairs in our office building 5-7 days a week. Most of that loss was front loaded, although I'm still trending down.

Only other diet change was starting to eat breakfast (1/3 pound of jerky and a hardboiled egg for 5 days a week) Prior to that, I only ate one meal a day--and that beginning at 730 or 8 each night.
Hahahah, 100 flights of steps, I ran up 30 something stories once when I was in my 20's, elevator was out in a project. Good thing the cop handled the situation before I got there, I wouldnt have been able to do much other than shoot someone. My legs were like stone. I think I was sweating for 2 hours after that. I did Atkins, but I also did the vhs tape Slim In 6 , as a combo it was a wonderful success.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #11

I'm a low-carb fan but prefer South Beach to Atkins as more balanced. It took me about 3 months on SB Phases 1-2 to take off the 15 pounds I had gradually added over 10 years. I've been able to keep it off for 10 years by pretty much eliminating refined grains (only brown rice and whole wheat bread/pasta) and being consistent about moderate exercise. I have noticed that being more liberal with olive oil rather than obsessing about low-fat has not caused any weight gain.

As stated earlier, the best diet for you is the one that works.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #12

As mentioned by Chuckanut above, keeping carbs under 100 g a day is the best zone for me. And, 100 g is more than you might think--it allows you to have a sandwich and not freak about the bread (a hamburger bun is about 25 g of carbs), or croutons on your salad which may not feel very Atkins-y but still allows you to eat your recommended protein and then do things like slather your salads in full-fat dressings.

It just really makes a difference in my hunger (more fat+protein, careful on the carbs) while not making me feel completely restricted. Just have to make good choices--if I want to have potato chips one day, that's fine, but I'm not having potato chips AND a sandwich AND a cookie, etc.

(Also, learn about "net carbs", which is carb grams minus fiber grams. This is what allows for lots and lots of vegetables without your carb count escalating much.)

When I'm eating this way, I very easily fall in to only having two meals a day. And I just feel a lot better.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #13

You can easily do both WW and low carb--I am. It is working well. I also swear by low carb and if I had to do just one would do that. I find it very easy to eat low carb, even when eating out.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #14

Calories in < calories out works 100% of the time. It's science. How you choose to ingest those carbs and what amount of exercise is involved are the only differences between any two diets that actually work.

p.s. If it's a diet you're on, that means you plan on stopping it at some point. That means you'll very likely move back to the old habits that got you to a point where you needed a diet in the first place. A lifestyle change is what is needed to ensure future weight remains where you want it.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
You can easily do both WW and low carb--I am. It is working well. I also swear by low carb and if I had to do just one would do that. I find it very easy to eat low carb, even when eating out.
Low carb has been very easy for me. A couple of great low carb bread recipes, and I don't feel like it's a diet, but a lifestyle change. I've dropped 25 lb this year so far. But to be fair, in order to really lose weight, you need to keep an eye on the calories. With tracking programs like My Fitness Pal, it's easy. I use one called Nutritionix. Weight Watchers is fine, but an extra level of counting I don't want to hassle with or pay for. Traditional lowfat diets leave me hungry and irritable.

The New Atkins book mentioned in this thread is really good--the idea is not to get too much protein but not be afraid of fat, which boosts your insulin levels and slows the fat metabolism. The original Atkins focused too much on protein. I did low carb in Italy--just ignored breadsticks and didn't order pasta. I lost 3 lbs eating out 3 meals a day and drinking wine daily. Most packaged foods are loaded with carbs and especially sugar.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
I'm 6' 3" in just a few months.
How tall are you now?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #17

DW has had weight issues most of her life. For her it is genetic. She did WW many years ago and took weight off. As habits regressed, it came back. Then she (we both did) tried Atkins That had a good result for us both. Alas, that weight loss too came back. We have now made a new insight to weight loss. We now eat when we are hungry. We start every day with a breakfast. Then have either lunch or a linner (sort of like brunch but between lunch and dinner) or dinner. Maybe a snack later in the evening. No real selection of food groups. We have ice cream and chocolates only watching moderately our intake. We generally eat whatever we like. But no longer eat at 6PM just because the clock says it is time. Retirement allows us the time-flexibility to do this. We have each lost over 20 lbs over the last year or two. Who knows if this will be maintainable.

My point is, at least for us and other family members, there are many ways to lose weight. It is the sustaining of that weight loss that is the more difficult thing to overcome. IMO the secret is in finding a weight plan that we can deal with long-term.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Calories in < calories out works 100% of the time. It's science. How you choose to ingest those carbs and what amount of exercise is involved are the only differences between any two diets that actually work.

p.s. If it's a diet you're on, that means you plan on stopping it at some point. That means you'll very likely move back to the old habits that got you to a point where you needed a diet in the first place. A lifestyle change is what is needed to ensure future weight remains where you want it.
+1

Eat less, exercise more. It ain't rocket science!
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post

+1, But when i saw what I was allowed to eat based on calories, it looked like a kiddie meal. The Adkins (I kept to 20ish grams of carbs) gave me a plate of food , so I stuck with it. My downfall was what you said, I didnt change my habits after the diet ended.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Back when Atkins was the rage I mentioned to my doctor that I wanted to try it, fully expecting a lecture on the dangers. Instead, he said: "I have six patients who were injecting diabetics and after being on Atkins don't have to inject anymore".

I did lose about 20 pounds but found sticking with the regimen was really hard to do...plus I love pasta and bread!