Join Early Retirement Today

carcinoma in ear
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

carcinoma in ear

My 58 year old mother had developed this bump-like ,crusty cyst into her ear. Some kind of a liquid was also running from it and smells bad. We have noticed it 2 months ago as it went from a pimple size to a peanut size cyst. The Doctor said it seems like it is there for more than 5 months. Before the surgery, after the first test results the Doctors couldn't recognize if it is actually "acanthoma or carcinoma". Today she underwent a surgery. The doctors said it was very deep almost near the scalp of the head. They said that it was fully removed. The piece was brought for another test. Can you please let me know more about it? IS it dangerous?

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/tia_baby1/?action=vie

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/tia_baby1/?action=vie

Thank you very mucb
DonnaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Donna, we really can't have the doctors who participate on this forum trying to diagnose illnesses from afar. I think the best thing you can do is sit down and talk with your mother's doctor after the tests come back. I know it must be hard to wait for the test results but I trust they will be back soon.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uhhh, sorry, no can do. That's why they train pathologists. I do not provide direct medical advice on the forum.

Meadbh, MD
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You need to wait until the pathology report is available. That will give you a diagnosis. The photos are just photos.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
You need to wait until the pathology report is available. That will give you a diagnosis. The photos are just photos.
We finaly have the results. because it is in bulgarian i will try to translate:

A few fragments with sizes 3-4 mm on the right external ear canal with morphology of high differential squamous cell carcinoma, verrucous type with stromn reaction. One of the fragments is with a structure of hyaline cartilage.

T3 N0 MX

Surgical Method: Extirpacio Sa meati acustici externa dextra,status post extirpacionem

I ve done a lot of research about this cancer. I want to know if there is hope and people that are cured from it and how does the test look to you guys.

Thank you
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaDon View Post
I ve done a lot of research about this cancer. I want to know if there is hope and people that are cured from it and how does the test look to you guys.
Not to be insensitive, but you need to talk to your doctor. This is not an appropriate place to address such matters. While we occasionally discuss general medical issues on the retirement board, these discussions are of general interest and purely informational.

Best wishes for a good outcome and recovery.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Not to be insensitive, but you need to talk to your doctor. This is not an appropriate place to address such matters. While we occasionally discuss general medical issues on the retirement board, these discussions are of general interest and purely informational.

Best wishes for a good outcome and recovery.
Thank you. Sorry for posting this. My mother is in Bulgaria and she is talking to her Doctor. I just wanted some opinion from people of different Countries with more advanced technology and ideas.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaDon View Post
Thank you. Sorry for posting this. My mother is in Bulgaria and she is talking to her Doctor. I just wanted some opinion from people of different Countries with more advanced technology and ideas.
I understand completely. We all want what's best for our loved ones. Unfortunately, it would be a disservice to you and to her to provide specific advice through an internet bulletin board.

Have you considered bringing her here for a 2nd opinion? If you care to tell me where you live (private message is OK), I can see if I can recommend a center of excellence in the area.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote